No turbo pressure / Turbo SE 1990 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums ');

Welcome to The Lotus Forums

Welcome to The Lotus Forums. Please register now to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. It's free, easy and you can even just log in with your facebook/twitter details if you wish or if you're already a member click here to sign in now. Be apart of The Lotus Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others, read protected content
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates emailed
  • Get your own profile, add your car to the members garage and start a car blog
  • Customize your experience and profile here and use our free members gallery
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo

No turbo pressure / Turbo SE 1990

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ruud

Ruud

LOT

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Joined 21-October 06
  • Name:Ruud
  • Car:Lotus Esprit Turbo SE

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hi all,

No more turbo pressure suddenly today after driving 30 miles and a couple of normal (not heavy) sprints with regular boost build up / (oil temp 70 degr. C/ water temp 80 degr C / normal oil pressure); had this never before (turbo pressure was always properly working to max 0.85 / 1.0 bar.); reached home with limited speed.
My Esprit Turbo SE 1990 is/was in excellent condition (original, with not any modification); always garaged and has run now a total of 30.000 miles; I had never any major serious problem; except that a new turbocharger incl. new waste gate module was fitted by the Dutch Lotus Importer approx 4000 miles ago, after that a small piece had come of from the rotor fan (piece was located and removed); since then the Lotus drove perfectly.
Now after switching ignition without running engine the boost gauge indicates 0.05-0.1 bar and with running engine gauge does / will not indicate more as 0.1-0.15 bar; engine power has gone; acceleration has gone; seems like running only on atmospheric conditions; max. speed 70 miles, which under those circumstances I did not want to exceed.
(Note: max. possible speed at the occasion with damaged turbocharger was 50 miles.; therefore it seems to me that this time it is not the turbocharger itself)
Waste gate rod does not stick; can be moved against spring by hand; no pressure tube leaks seen or heard; no noticeable changes in engine sound etc.; no specific whistling or blowing noises etc.
Charge cooler pump works fine obviously; top of heat exchanger (now and before) feels cool if touched by hand immediately after engine switch off.
I am not the type of an experienced mechanic, only have some general knowledge.
The only aspect I can imagine (besides the fact that something is not ok with any sensor or the ECM) is the fact that I just had my fuel tanks for the first time filled with Shell V-Power (95 Oct.) in stead of regular Shell 95 Oct. and noticed during the first 20 miles sometimes a little stalling of the engine power (due to some re-learning of the ECM ??); however the idea that all boost now is eliminated due to a different type of generally approved type of fuel seems a little unrealistic to me.
I would appreciate it very much if somebody would take the trouble to indicate (briefly) some possible reasons.

Best regards,
Ruud

#2 andydclements

andydclements

LOTUS

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,366 posts
  • Joined 25-April 06
  • Name:Andy Clements
  • Car:Turbo Esprit, S3, Excel-3of, Europa Special

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

My first suggestion would be to check that the turbo shaft rotates freely, it's a quick check assuming you can get the clip off the air supply duct.

#3 SKY

SKY

Always hungry

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Joined 17-April 07
  • Name:SKY

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

coudl be, thats turbo gone :blush:, i ve same symptoms, i think max was 3000rpm with 5th gear, not sure with other gears, but when i u pulled full gas, i had limited rpm, all ok untill point where turbo shloud run.
http://www.lotus-club.cz
Posted Image
Your 6 is my 12.
http://www.voodoo-world.cz
--------------------------------

#4 Vulcan Grey

Vulcan Grey

Grey is the color!

• 3,871 posts
  • Joined 18-October 05
  • Name:Travis
  • Car:Esprit SE '89
  • Modifications:many, see my picasa link.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

Does the car still have the Exhaust Back Pressure valve after the catalytic converter?

If so make sure it is open. Wire it open or get a longer bolt to make sure it is open and see if that fixes things.
Travis
Vulcan Grey 89SE

http://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse

#5 rens914

rens914

LOTUS

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 05-June 05
  • Name:Rens Veenhuis
  • Car:Tuscan MK1

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

the backpressure valve has been mentioned already
it can also be something really simple
check the fixings of the hoses between turbo/chargecooler and chargecooler/airbox
had about the same experience on the circuit once
thought i had blown my turbo
after checking the only thing that had come loose was the top fixing of the chargecooler and therefor the hose clip couldn't hold. result was no power at all
rens
researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

#6 Ruud

Ruud

LOT

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Joined 21-October 06

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:55 AM

Hi, andydclements, SKY, Vulcan Grey and rens914,

Thanks for your individual quick remarks, suggestions, etc.
I will check / consider each item.............rens914; I understand what you mean with the hoses/clamps etc, this item was checked already and ok.......tomorrow I will check the exhaust back pressure valve......thanks anyway.

Best regards,
Ruud

#7 Ruud

Ruud

LOT

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Joined 21-October 06

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

Problem located/found........exhaust back pressure valve did not open when engine cooling water was warmed-up........ due to malfunction of EBP valve vacuum solenoid (mounted in ignition box in luggage boot; the most right solenoid of 3 vacuum solenoids located in the left upper corner of the ignition box).
EBP valve in open position fixed with steel wire and new solenoid ordered.
Full boost up to 1.0 bar is back again !!!
Thanks everybody....

Best regards, Ruud

#8 DanR

DanR

LOTUS

• Full Forum Account
  • 1,486 posts
  • Joined 29-October 04
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:Lotus Esprit S4

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:39 PM

Take it all off and fit the spacer or get a section of pipe welded in. If you do also take off the throttle jacking system.
DanR

#9 Ruud

Ruud

LOT

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Joined 21-October 06

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:41 AM

Hi DanR,