Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Malc Holmes

The worlds worst brand names

15 posts in this topic

Japan has a love affair with the English language and uses it, generally very badly, for all forms of advertising or promotion. Brands are often formed from English phrases or coined words.

The drinks 'Calpis' and 'Pocari Sweat' are great examples of using English when you have no idea of what it may mean, or suggest. The Honda Beat owners club, go by the slogan BE A Tossa (BEAT ..ossa), who helpeed them with that one?

Anyone want to snack on a cream filled 'Colon'?

I came across a new one yesterday, and its a classic. Refreshing mint gum...... apparently.

Anyone else seen brilliant band names in other parts of the world?

Malc

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not exactly a brand name but.

crapyourhands12.jpg

Remember the Mitubishi Colt Starion? The story with that was the American importers were told the US name over the telephone and got all the badges made up...then when the Japanese came over to see they said "NO!! Not Starion...STARION! STARION! Big male horse...."

Orange-ade drink in Spain called GLOP. Got a piccie somewhere.

Got a picture somewhere of Oriental chicken soup, described as "Cock Flavoured"

Decidely strange coffee brand if you ask me

PICT1311.jpg

Remember the Mitubishi Colt Starion? The story with that was the American importers were told the US name over the telephone and got all the badges made up...then when the Japanese came over to see they said "NO!! Not Starion...STARION! STARION! Big male horse...."

As one of my college fraternity brothers used to say, after watching one too many WW II flics containing POW scenes, "Ah so, G.I., you surprised I speak Engrish so well? I educated at great Western university--U C R A."

5568-1.jpg

Decidely strange coffee brand if you ask me

PICT1311.jpg

:thumbsup:

Everytime I go to public loo I see my name planted everywhere....Kimberley Clarke.....

Oh hang on, I better rephrase that!! :)

In the old John Wayne movie, "The Fighting Seabees", about the Naval Construction Battalions ( he gets killed at the end!) the makers of the film had a problem with portraying the Japanese combatants, it being just after the end of the war and Japanese being a bit thin on the ground in Hollywood. So they recruited anybody who looked vaguely Japanese; Chinese mainly but some Mexicans and Malays etc. Their next problem was in scenes where Japanese in the background had to be making crowd noises..the Japanese equivalent to the English "Rhubarb,rhubarb,rhubarb" which produces a convincing murmur behind the main actors lines. Much thought was employed on how to make a convincing Japanese substitution, remembering they actually had no native Japanese available. In the end, they used "I tie you shoe, you tie my shoe!" and the result can be heard, and seen, in the movie!!

Just remembered a German electonics company that supplies sensors for use on production lines.

Sick, great name!

Malc

:)

Everytime I go to public loo I see my name planted everywhere....Kimberley Clarke.....

Oh hang on, I better rephrase that!! :angry:

I am sure i have it seen it, something like \"me love you big time for

Edited by Alex --GT3--

Ok Not a brand but as most of you know I run a design Agency just outside of Portsmouth and here is an ad one of our competitors actually released for the Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.....ooooh eeerrrrr.

Twas on the good Ship Venus...hehehe!!!