peteyg

How to remove Crankshaft Pulley?

11 posts in this topic

Just changing the cambelt as it's long overdue. So long infact that I've forgotten how I got the crank pulley off last time to get the belt off. Just tried putting it in 1st gear with handbrake on but the engine still seems to turn. Now I've got the tensioner off and belt off the rest of the sprockets I'm worried about pistons moving too far and coming into contact with valves.

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I used a rubber strap wrench around the pulley - to hold it still while I cracked the nut.

It can't be properly in gear - or your handbrake or clutch is totally f£$%d :thumbdown:

If it was in gear & the crankshaft was turning then you'd see one of the driveshafts turning.

Get your Fitter's Mate to lock the flywheel with a suitable lever (tyre lever, large screwdriver) wedged into the ring gear and bearing against the bellhousing casting. Should really have got the pulley nut undone first....but that doesn't help now, does it??!!

Thanks Chaps!

Get your Fitter's Mate to lock the flywheel with a suitable lever (tyre lever, large screwdriver) wedged into the ring gear and bearing against the bellhousing casting. Should really have got the pulley nut undone first....but that doesn't help now, does it??!!

+1 to John's method . . . but place a rag and or cardboard around the opening on the bellhousing! Keep it nice -- it deforms easily with that kind of pressure, and I've seen one where it was actually chipped . . .

When I'm doing Toyotas (and boy are those pulley nuts tight!) I use a tap wrench (monkey wrench) on the pulley rim and let it turn until it jams against something solid

But haven't used this method on a Lotus...anyway would suggest it be used only if necessary and with extreme caution.

You may find a steering wheel puller useful for getting the pulley off the shaft once the nut's off

Robert

I got a passing neighbour to hold a large screwdriver in the starter teeth... popped the threadlock and it came out easily after that.

I just put it in gear and put two c-clamps on the brake discs

I used Robert's monkey wrench technique to good effect - just need to pad the contact point with the casting. No damage

Just used the timing teeth method. Worked a treat and didn't even need a helper!

Pete