Rich H

Dash removal from an S4

26 posts in this topic

Hey all,

My OCD is twitching and I want to tidy up the wiring under the dash...

My car has suffered:

An after market alarm - Quite well installed in places, other places just stuffed under carpets - at least it now works properly.

At least 2 radio radio installs - How hard can it be to install a radio - apparently quite hard - every electrical connection was made with a crimp bullet and socket between the iso connectors - now soldered and sleeved

a tracker install - laughably poor and defiantely not functioning - just wrapped in tape and double sided taped to the rear boot bulkhead - now fixed properly

an achient nokia hands free kit - secured with double sided tape again but with miles of excess cable coiled under the radio - ripped out the bulk of the units under the dash but wiring, aerial and mic still int he car.

My OCD hates untidy wiring and preferes OEM quality crimps looming tape and so on where possible so I want to remove the lower dash to get in to tidy it all up.

Can I remove binnacle and centre console then remove the lower dash? That is where most of the crap wiring is. Is it hard to do?

Ta

Rich

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

PICT0022.jpg

How sure are you, you want to do this. :scared:

Not planning on going quite that far but something to ponder...

CHeers but binnacle I can do, it's the lower dash adn centre console I'm looking at.... :construction:

Not to begin with... :whistle:

PICT0050.jpg

It was worth it.

It's a really fiddly job, the glove box lining is a pain you need to take the "A" pillar lining (another pain) and the 2 centre studs at the top of the dash will really test you and your range of 1/4 drive sockets, lengths of extensions, universal joints, you have no choice about the seats, are you starting to get the picture ? and getting out is the easy bit ! :stuart:

Your dash looks a lot different to mine.... mine is less sloped?

P8020006.jpg

P6220278.jpg

Yours is an S4, mine an S3, I suspect the differences are cosmetic and there will similarity in the fixings.

Looks those Nokia hands free units were fitted by the same guy as did mine, if you find him kill him for me ! (he put self tappers through leather) and yes mine had 73 kilometres of redundant cables, hands free and CD stackers and the way the immobiliser was spliced in :thumbdown:

Rich,

Some time ago I did a little write-up on the bolster removal under the steering wheel and if you PM me your email, I'll send it to you. Mine is LH drive but the basics are the same.

The passenger side is pretty much the same procedure.

Cheers,

Jim

It's not hard at all, and I'm not even sure you need to remove the centre console. Once the binnacle is off, there are four nuts holding the dash assembly to the scuttle beam (usually two reached from the top, two from underneath. Disconnect the wiring and the speedo cable and it's out.

The lower bolster can be removed by first removing the column surround, then three fixings (two bolts and a nut???) from the inner sides of the bolster.

OK thanks, will have a look sunday

Cheers

Rich

PICT0022.jpg

How sure are you, you want to do this. scared011.gif

Inspired by this photo - I took the plunge today in renewing all of the leather in my chrome wrapped Esprit. Six and a half hours later, this is what I ended up with below (sorry - I'm not a very tidy mechanic!). And yes, there are some pretty tricky nuts to find and remove. Not looking forward to the reverse procedure when it all comes back nice and new in around 7 days time. Got quite a few pics of the deconstruction so may do a write up if any interest.

post-15334-0-42474700-1370032783.jpg

Re different angle of attack of the binnacle, 

Mine is an S3 but I have managed to refit the binnacle in 2 different angles - one correct, one incorrect. The incorrect one had it resting on the centre console and with wires visible from the outside. Once I had the binnacle mounting cradle sorted out, it sat properly on the dashboard. Easy job compared to complete dash removal though.

Having said that though, now I have had the dash out, I have inspected all the wiring, understand it (reasonably) and am confident with the connections. 

Is it going to be that itch you cannot scratch? if so, go for it but set aside a really decent amount of time and plan for damage to various structures - like others said, A pillar trim, carpets, various scratches on leather, knuckles - damn those dash to screen landing bolts!!!!

a word of warning: when removing a S4 binnacle, always ensure a minimum distance of 100 metres between the car and mattthesparks.

That's fairly conservative, 2 continents or six feet of dirt according to the manual...

Bugger.  Guess that's why the screen broke.  RTFM.

Any advice on removing the A-pillar trim in a non destructive fashion? I gotta get my drooping doors aligned....

Just realigned my passenger door, couldn't remove A-pillar trim so had to coax it away at the bottom and 'prise' it back in order to get a socket in to the upper hinge bolt. It isn't nice at all, but I thought it was the lesser of the two evils!!

Hmmm I might give it a try - but surely there must be a way to get it off without bending and tearing at the trim....

Still it might be a price worth paying not to have to slam the door shut every time...

Depends if its held the same way mine was. 

FWIW, mine is held on by 3 clips that press in (firmly) to receiving holes in the A pillar. I used a screwdriver to ease them apart - this needs to be long - at least 200mm, and thin but with a broad tip so as not to damage things. Much safer than twisting and pulling. 

But, they were still more difficult to refit - I had to resort to using a quick release 'G' clamp and stacks of padding to press them back. Scary!!

Any advice on removing the A-pillar trim in a non destructive fashion? I gotta get my drooping doors aligned....

With my 1988 Esprit Turbo, I had to remove the screws in the headliner, closest to the top edge of the windscreen to drop the section holding the rear view mirror and sun visors.  I then 'just' pulled real hard on the A-Frame trims as they are each held in with 3 push fit trim fixings that pop out with enough force.  Putting the trims back in just needs a firm thump with the back of your hand in the 3 fixing locations.

Hmmm I might give it a try - but surely there must be a way to get it off without bending and tearing at the trim....

Still it might be a price worth paying not to have to slam the door shut every time...

If your car has had a new windscreen it is possible the A pillar trim has become bonded with black adhesive by the fitter (mine has) making removal impossible without damage

Took me a while, but I think I located the clips that hold the A-pillar trim to the 3 plastic inserts in the frame itself:

SJ Sportscars : DOOR TRIM PANEL CLIP (METAL) SJ050B0001

Will be ordering to replace the ones I've broken.