');

Welcome to The Lotus Forums

Welcome to The Lotus Forums. Please register now to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. It's free, easy and you can even just log in with your facebook/twitter details if you wish or if you're already a member click here to sign in now. Be apart of The Lotus Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others, read protected content
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates emailed
  • Get your own profile, add your car to the members garage and start a car blog
  • Customize your experience and profile here and use our free members gallery
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo

Speed Garageband

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moxie

Moxie

I Drive for the Users!

• Full Forum Account
  • 2,119 posts
  • Joined 26-October 09
  • Name:Matt Guthrie DeLange
  • Car:'77 Esprit S1, '12 Evora S [sold] & '04 BMW 330xi

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

Well, not exactly a guitar topic, but has anyone ever messed around with Garagaband? I've used Logic Pro for years, but Garageband is so easy to use I've been doing a bit of experimenting with what I call "Speed Garageband" where I give myself no more than an hour to come up with something musical and no more than 10 minutes per audio track. The only other rule is it has to involve some level of manipulation rather than just the purely Legos approach.

My friend Laura wants to start a podcast in which she interviews independent musicians she knows and wanted a theme that would be a musical backdrop as she introduced the show, then a dramatic break followed by the main theme and space for each guest to dub a solo for their appearance, which I thought was a pretty cool idea. So I came up with this, in which each interviewee would dub a solo between 0:44 and 1:00:

Attached File  Spooky Action Network Theme (draft).mp3   1.13MB   58 downloads

It's at 120bpm to make the timing easy and bring it in at exactly 1 minute, not including the fade-out tail. Any opinions? Don't worry, if you think it's crap I won't be offended. It was just a Speed Garageband game. Ended up looking like this if you're curious as to number of tracks:

Screen Shot 2012-03-07 at 7.57.26 PM.png

"Conscience" is the inner voice that warns us that someone might be looking. "Self-respect" is the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is suspicious.—H. L. Mencken
When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.—The Sphinx
It's a simple question, doctor. Would ya eat the Moon if it were made of ribs?—Harry Caray
Oh, this Twinkie thing...it ain't over.Tallahassee

Good news!...I'm healed. Bad news...I'm healed!...[insert can of whoop-ass]—TRON

#2 Petrol feet driven

Petrol feet driven

Cycles.

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Joined 09-November 09
  • Name:Dave R
  • Car:LOTUS S4, SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX 4WD
  • Modifications:Loads more than last year.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Sounds good so far, just a tad to short.. :)
Posted Image

#3 Mark B

Mark B

"Nice Ferrari mate"

• Full Forum Account
  • 4,934 posts
  • Joined 08-October 04
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:88 Esprit Turbo, 72 Mustang 302 V8

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Never used Garageband, I would be interested to see what it's like. I use Reaper, it's great Software and straight forward to use. I tried using Cubase but my heads was spinning after a few hours.

#4 Moxie

Moxie

I Drive for the Users!

• Full Forum Account
  • 2,119 posts
  • Joined 26-October 09

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'm with you on that--CuBase is mind-numbing. I couldn't get my head around it. Logic is way more intuitive. But maybe we should just sell our homes, cars, and organs and buy a full ProTools rig.

"Conscience" is the inner voice that warns us that someone might be looking. "Self-respect" is the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is suspicious.—H. L. Mencken
When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head, you will head off your foes with a balanced attack.—The Sphinx
It's a simple question, doctor. Would ya eat the Moon if it were made of ribs?—Harry Caray

Good news!...I'm healed. Bad news...I'm healed!...[insert can of whoop-ass]—TRON

#5 Petrol feet driven

Petrol feet driven

Cycles.

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Joined 09-November 09
  • Name:Dave R
  • Car:LOTUS S4, SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX 4WD
  • Modifications:Loads more than last year.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

I use Friut Loops Studio 7, used it for a couple of years now and finding it ok.
Posted Image

#6 Moxie

Moxie

I Drive for the Users!

• Full Forum Account
  • 2,119 posts
  • Joined 26-October 09

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Cool. I never heard if it until now. I just ordered my first iPad. Anyone have a recommendation other than GarageBand for musical noodling on the thing?

#7 Moxie

Moxie

I Drive for the Users!

• Full Forum Account
  • 2,119 posts
  • Joined 26-October 09

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

Sounds good so far, just a tad to short..

Thanks, Dave.

This is kind of nuts, but here's a GarageBand audio doodle I forgot I'd done that actually has a TLF tie-in. I'd seen photos of Geert's black Esprit 2.2 the day I saw TRON: Legacy (I was a big fan of the original and the sequel blew my mind in 3D) and had this image of his car with the striping replaced by the pale cyan of the Light Runner car in the film...

TronLegacy_LightRunner_DanielSimon_001.jpg

...being put on "The Grid" and similarly busting out. I was also blown away by Daft Punk's film score, so that night I was messing with something thematic, combining some analog synths and orchestration, and this is what came out, although I have no idea where I was heading with it...

Attached File  Geert on The Grid.mp3   2.14MB   22 downloads

Actually, I think I was envisioning the two Moog Taurus Bass Pedal tracks as Recognizers in pursuit...

tron-legacy-world_1280x800.jpeg

OK, this is weird--I just noticed that the guy who styled the Light Runner, above, also styled the new Lotus Le Mans car:

Lotus_LMP2_LeMans_DanielSimon_1200_0021.jpg

(Cool--my 1,000th post! I guess I should let Geert know he has a theme song, whether he likes it or not.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users