');

Welcome to The Lotus Forums

Welcome to The Lotus Forums. Please register now to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. It's free, easy and you can even just log in with your facebook/twitter details if you wish or if you're already a member click here to sign in now. Be apart of The Lotus Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others, read protected content
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates emailed
  • Get your own profile, add your car to the members garage and start a car blog
  • Customize your experience and profile here and use our free members gallery
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo

reccomended brake pads ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MartinL

MartinL

LOTUS

• Regional Co-Ordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Joined 24-April 09
  • Name:Martin Lawrence
  • Car:Sport350....for sale. Elan +2....for rebuild, Subaru Legacy 3.litre "B"spec shopping trolly !!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

The 350 needs new rear pads, currently has some unknown cheap things in, front are fitted with green stuff and have plenty of life left but I cant say I am a lover of green stuff having ran it in other cars, bearing in mind it is only for road use (might get 1 or 2 light track days........I hope !) whats the latest thinking and what are you using as I may as well fit new all round to match.
Dont worry,be happy.............

#2 oneshot

oneshot

• 2,602 posts
  • Joined 10-April 05
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:2000 esprit sport 350

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have standard Lotus supplied pads in my 350. Got them from Strattons.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

#3 Vulcan Grey

Vulcan Grey

Grey is the color!

• 4,316 posts
  • Joined 18-October 05
  • Name:Travis
  • Car:Esprit SE '89
  • Modifications:many, see my picasa link.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Ferodo DS2500 would be my recommendation.  Also the pad that Lotus uses on the Evora.

Travis
Vulcan Grey 89SE

http://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse

#4 Rob C

Rob C

LOT

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 03-September 05
  • Name:Rob C.. ..the kids now call me "DOC"
  • Car:White.... Sport 350 ....now SPT500
  • Modifications:To Much to fit in Here

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Well there are other 350 owners who use EBC Red stuff and are very happy with them.

As my own Car is a bit mental I use Yellow stuff as recomended by EBC... there is one draw back with Yellow stuff, the first time you hit the pedal when stone cold ...not a lot happens..push harder etc.

But once you have used them a couple of times, they are up and ready to stop and they are brilliant.

plenty of feel and very rewarding.

Rob C

damfast35nut@talktalk.net or 07976 609881

#5 qwerty123

qwerty123

LOT

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 21-June 09
  • Name:Q
  • Car:Automatic Vauxhall, Racing Lotus
  • Modifications:Stripped, caged and racing, Oh Yeah! (the Lotus)

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Warning: Bin the green stuff if you ever want to go near a track.

They simply aren't up to anything more than normal commuter style driving and then I wouldn't trust them in an emergency stop from speed situation. They faded very quickly when I had them fitted (I used them as a stop gap only)

Get some DS2500 or better still some Pagid RS4-2. I've been running the Pagids in the races I've done and they are V good stoppers. 

Bearing in mind the hammering I'm giving pads I have run allsorts as they don't tend to last. ;-)

I've run DS2500 - average to good

DS3000 - awesome but noisy and high disc wear (squeel after use when cooled mostly)

Pagid RS4-2 - awesome and lower noise & disc wear

Performance Friction - V good low noise med disc wear

Green Stuff - like chocolate, only softer

yellow stuff (on rear) seem ok so far (other compounds wear out V quickly, keeping an eye on these but ok so far)

I currently have the Pagids on the front and Yellowstuff on the back and this setup works well from cold to the end of a 40 minute race without fade or too much noise.

Now looking at Ferodo 4003 as I have just seen an good deal 2 sets of them

Check out this graph for operating parameters, note they are all compared to DS2500!

http://www.ferodorac...racing/4003.htm

Also, with any track driving make sure you work the tyres and brakes up to temp, ie slow cornering and braking at first to get heated up, then do a cool down lap afterwards. 20 minutes (fast) track driving doesn't sound a lot but will be hard on the car.

Edited by qwerty123, 20 September 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#6 MartinL

MartinL

LOTUS

• Regional Co-Ordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Joined 24-April 09
  • Name:Martin Lawrence
  • Car:Sport350....for sale. Elan +2....for rebuild, Subaru Legacy 3.litre "B"spec shopping trolly !!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

Red stuff all round..........great on road but a recent track session showed a lot of fade under hard frequent braking, yet to investigate if pads were the cause or brake fluid due for change.

Dont worry,be happy.............

#7 Bibs

Bibs

How fast?

• CEO
  • 35,994 posts
  • Joined 23-September 04
  • Name:Bibs
  • Car:2000 Elise S1, 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

Fade wouldn't be fluid, that would just be a loss of most of your brakes once it's boiled leading to a spongy feeling pedal. If the brakes worked again after they had a chance to cool down, it's looking towards overheated or possibly glazed pads.

In any case, if you're going on track you should have Dot 5.1 all the same, it's a cheap no-brainer. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Elise S1, Evora S IPS Sports Racer

#8 squawk7700

squawk7700

L

• Basic Account
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 28-March 11
  • Name:mike
  • Car:sport 350 and V8 GT

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

I have a far simpler/ignorant question. Are the rear calipers on the Sport 350 AP racing or Brembo? Cheers.

#9 Günter

Günter

* got milk * !?

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • Joined 24-April 06
  • Name:Günter
  • Car:V8GT'98(just one more engine rebuild on the list), Ducati ST4 (joy-toy & daily bitch), an odd and ugly Ford Scorpio MK2 (runs on most flamable oils) , VW-Polo 86c 1986 Reg. , and last but not least -S1 Elise *write off* (still under re-construction)

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

Sport 350 uses a simple one piston type Renault/Brembo caliper on the rear ..just like the other S4*ff series Esprit   ..the type/styling of the brake discs on the late V8 cars & S350 are different of course to the early V8SE/V8GT/V8 model.  

Most early V8 cars have got upgrades later on, to at least slotted/drilled discs all around, so on the road you will see older Esprit V8 who have no 'plain' disc anymore, but the original setup for all old V8 (exept S350)  was 298mm-front /300mm-rear *plain*  ..and with Brembo caliper in front [caliper styling by the way is like you can see it on Seat Leon cup or Mitsubishi Evo for example]  and Brembo caliper on rear [caliper style like Renault Laguna, Lotus Elise and other].

Only the S300 does have a 'all around' AP-racing caliper setup ..with AP's on the rear too

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users