The weather was really quite warm today so I decided it was a good day to remove the S4s engine.
The time consuming part is the preparation to disconnect everything - the actual lift is easily a one man job with a little care
A/C was non-functional, so left the pump attached
Limited clearance on front body
Ready to roll the chassis c
Yesterday I drove the V8 from our place in France to Düsseldorf. A little shy of 1000Kms, but the weather was absolutely spectacular.
The engine behaved very nicely and despite my [i]discipline[/i] I did get caught speeding once on the way through France. Only a minor infringement, but still a 45€ spot-fine. :thumbdown:
It was after 9:30pm before I entered Germany and first encountered some unrestricted Autobahn. Given the lack of traffic, I decided to open up a little and see what speed
After last weeks dyno session I needed to remove the gearbox and inspect the clutch.
All of the chargecoolers stuff removed
Driveshafts out of the way and the gearbox slide back free of the clutch pack
Gearbox lifted clear and clutch exposed for removal
Yesterday I made a start on the restoration of this fantastic Esprit.
It was specially ordered by and supplied to Romano Artioli, the boss of Bugatti when it owned Lotus back in 1994. The car has been well looked after over the years, but its owner would like to have it restored and approached me with the job for the mechanical aspects. The restoration of the interior and paintwork will be a task for someone else.
Finally after the S4s is away, I had chance to return to the S300 project.
The final preparations for the extraction, complete with the engine loom
Engine lifted and chassis rolled out of the way
Engine compartment starts the clean-up - first impressions are good.
Had a small problem with a stuck wastegate on the V8, when it returned to Lotus in December last year. The wastegate was freed up and all seemed to be okay following that.
At the weekend, I was doing to checks and routine maintenance and noticed that the wastegate was stuck once again. It was not able to close fully and movement was very stiff. The car has been used most weekends, so there is something not right. Not my favourite job, but the turbo had to be swapped out. The units are hybrid
Posty finally came good with my long awaited SPA dual intercooler temperature gauge.
The gauge loom was absent, but at least I was able to install the two k-type thermocouples in the right hand chargecooler body.
Still waiting to hear back from AP, but I expect an update on the clutch solution in early January.
Happy New Year to all ! :band:
Well, it has been a great day !
First came the Lotus Parts Sale - some relevant savings for me so fingers crossed for a result.
Then I managed to recommission and road test both Esprits. Was a cracking day :thumbsup:
V8 bled and ready for road test
No problems, so on with the rear deck and ready to make a return trip to Lotus for the continuation of the dyno work
The S300 restoration project that I started last year is now in fresh hands.
As many of you will know, I decided to withdraw from Esprit projects and engine builds in order to give time back to my family.
The restoration of S300 #25 is now in the talented and capable hands of Dave Lisle (aka CHANGES). I would expect Dave to start a dedicated Blog for this project soon and wish him the best of British in bringing this great car back to a fantastic factory-fresh condition.
Many of you may have seen my numerous threads on engine building and Esprit projects on the Forum.
Bibs introduced me to the idea of using a Blog, which will make it easier to organise the various things I have going on and in-turn make it easier to navigate through it.
So - from now on, this is where I´ll be making my updates.
Hope you enjoy and find it useful.
Almost one full year after the last dyno session where we experienced the clutch problem, we were back at it this weekend.
With approx. 8000 miles on the engine and the upgraded AP clutch fully run-in, everything was set and ready. We did a total of 14 runs, with adaptions in between - final run produced:
Peak boost: 1.1 bar (turbine housings limiting factor)
Torque: 437 lb/ft
Inlet temp: peaking 40deg C
AFR: flat 12.1