I test drove the 400 automatic yesterday. For reference I come from a 430 hp Exige V6. My comments:
- The 400 has an amazing sound
- Seat position is too high
- Upshifts are slow but downshifts are quick. I loved the fact that you can now downshift to first gear, it was restricted most of the time in the Evora S
- Had it on sport with exhaust button on, the crackle on the upshift is amazing, like a V6 Ferrari
- Interior is great, it was red alcantara, loved it
- Compared to the old Evora steering feel is closer to the Exige, that go kart feel
- I must say again how amazing it sounds
- Its more fun to drift than an Exige!
- Coming from the 430 hp Exige, I found it slow (it is a fast car, but just slow for me). Another 100 hp and it would be perfect.
- Dual clutch please! Though considering the limitations of the torque converter Lotus have done an excellent job with the TCU
- Used to have an Evora S, the 400 is a huge improvement as an overall package
All in all very impressed, but still unsure if I want to trade my Exige for the Evora 400. Im a minority of people who find the Exige (fairly) comfortable for what it is and I love the way it just leaps forward and eats the asphalt. The 400's competition is clearly a Carrera, 11 times out of 10 I would take the Evora 400 over the Carrera!
Can't wait to see the roadster!