free hit
counters
ekwan - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content


ekwan

Basic Account
  • Posts

    421
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

ekwan last won the day on June 24

ekwan had the most liked content!

More Info

  • Name
    Eric Kwan
  • Car
    Elise S1, Elise S1 Honda K20A SC, Esprit S3 NA
  • Modifications
    Loads
  • Location
    KUL, SIN

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

ekwan's Achievements

Contributor

Contributor (5/14)

  • Very Popular Rare
  • Dedicated Rare
  • Reacting Well Rare
  • Conversation Starter Rare
  • First Post

Recent Badges

106

Reputation

  1. I replaced mine with a stainless steel pipe that came out through the front after the radiator was removed. Bought a length of stainless, got a beading rolled in at both ends by a machine shop. Hopefully, stainless steel would last a lifetime.
  2. You can use OAT on older engines. Just that you have to flush out all that old Glycol based stuff before refilling or the two types will react IIRC.
  3. Coolant sensors fail in weird ways. The one on my Elise would never exceed 65 degrees 🤣
  4. Ford/Mazda switch. Same switch used on the Elise S1. Twist 90 deg and remove. Reverse procedure when refitting.
  5. I would put a gauge on it first to make sure that you "really" have adequate oil pressure before anything else.
  6. There are a few variations of flow patterns for the S3. You have to see (from the workshop manual) which is yours and trace the pipe that comes off the thermostat outlet.
  7. By feeling the pipe downstream of the thermostat while the engine is warming up. It should suddenly feel warm as the thermostat open up. 🤣 Otherwise, try running the engine without the thermostat and see if overheating still occurs. Needless to say which is the easier option.
  8. Perhaps you should look at diagnosing things logically, step by step before diving in at the deep end. First of all, any coolant or engine contamination, or if the levels are drastically raised or lowered (expansion due to heating excepted). Then, check if your coolant is really at 120C, thermometer in the coolant tank or an infra thermometer pointed at the correct places. If the above checks out, perhaps and only perhaps I'd start pushing the panic button, may just as there are other small issues like temperature sensors or even a non working cooling fan due to failed thermo switches, witing, relays or fuses.
  9. Commercially available LED bulbs have a circuitry that maintains the same level of light output irrespective of voltage fluctuations, within a specific voltage range, of course. This is the reason, the cannot be used with dimmers. Mine are just simple discrete LEDs with a resistor in series and readily lend themselves to dimming with just a simple rheostat. As a matter of fact, I have a simple 5V circuitry that replaces the fibre optic pod, and the dimmer is the original rheostat of the car.
  10. All the bulb holders were specifically machined to accept a simple LED with a small resistor wired in series. I cannot remember the resistor values I used (they are documented on my computer somewhere), the I selected the resistances for maximum brightness that I require. Adding a potentiometer, or using the original dash dimmer, would work.
  11. I did think of whipping up a PWM controller using either a NE555/556 but I have other priorities to get on with since this is a 5 year ongoing project and counting. That’s something for the future.
  12. The RHS panel with lettering for the heater flaps etc, did you ever get that refreshed? I am wondering how to recreate the print etc.
  13. Continuing to the end, I had the dash CNC machined out of Aluminium plate. Heavier than the original item, of course, but should outlast the lifetime of the car. Then I had it anodised in matt black, not a total match for the original crinkle finish. I decided to go LED lighting instead of messing about with the fibre optics pod and I choose to build a mini harness for the lighting to make it easier for removal and reassembly the next time. There was a little more achining work to be done to adapt the LEDs to fit the bottom row indicator lights as well as the speedometer and tachometer. With the smaller meters, one could purchase green LED bulbs, thus labour saving. The looms were terminated with Delphi connectors. Next...... I had a whole bunch of bolts, nuts and panel screws anodised to suit. This final result....... It all works. But note to self: Purchase all your LEDs from a single source or there will be slight variations in colour (especially from cheapo online retailers). The swaps will be easy from now on, so uniform lighting colour for the next time the dash comes out. Meanwhile, there are still other more pressing things to get on with.
×
×
  • Create New...