free hit
hspeck - The Lotus Forums Jump to content


Full Forum Member (FFM)
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

39 Excellent

About hspeck

  • Rank

More Info

  • Name
  • Car
    Esprit X180 2.2 NA

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. An unfortunate thing happened.. To me at least I hooked up my spark tester to check for spark from the coil, using the no. 3 plug wire connected to the coil at one end and my spark tester at the other, and there was no spark. I replaced the wires, and lo and behold, the car started. I did a quick measure and all voltages and resistance were in spec. I even drove the car around and tried to on and off the engine, and it started everytime. Guess I might have to wait for the problem to occur again before I can check further ?
  2. Noted. Busy day today can only check again later in the evening. Thanks
  3. I did this test and also the rest previously, but I will do it again later. I was assuming No. 4 is referring to the case of the amp when I did the test last time. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
  4. So, looking at the circuit diagram, it is a relatively straight forward connection. To eliminate an intermittent wire connection, I am thinking of re-running the wires from the amp to the coil and also to the distributor, and isolating the wires to the rpm relay and rpm limiter. This will greatly simplify the circuit, leaving the amp, distributor and coil. What do you guys think? CircuitDiag.pdf
  5. OK, so I swooped back to the Lucas coil (the one in the car now is a Viper) and the car could not start. I was happy for a while and when I fitted the Viper, the car still could not start. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my spark plug socket home. Tomorrow I will check the spark from the coil as the voltages were correct. Incidentally, can I know how I can crank the engine and check the sparks alone? I sort of read somewhere that I can run a wire from the battery to the starter to remotely crank the h engine? Thanks
  6. hmm... this is interesting maybe if the fail occurs again I will pull the distributor and fit in the Powerspark and see what happens.. thanks
  7. I am also not sure about turning the distributor by hand, but that was how it was tested for contact point distributor. I am not sure if it is the same for inductive type pick up. The Lucas AB14 does have a GM amplifier inside, the only difference is the additional capacitor and Zener diode. nevertheless, I have ordered the amp, rotor cap, rotor arm, inductor pickup, the wire from amp to distributor from SJ. I am not sure if they are original Lucas or not, as many of the original Lucas products are NLA. I hope that whatever they have provided will help to solve the problem if it was not because of the coil. Even if it was the coil, having these spares on hand may help in future if any of them fail... Costly exercise I know, but I am too far away from the parts for a cost effective solution Thanks.
  8. I would like that also, but I will not be able to identify which is the faulty part unless I replace them 1 at a time. I did the measurements to check the voltages and resistance of the ignition parts as per the service manual, but all seemed to be fine then. I will probably need to do that again. Also to try the original Lucas coil that I removed since the resistance seems to be ok. I realized that I do have a spare ignition amplifier, although it is a Cambiare VE520227 instead of a GM unit. can't remember why I bought this. I also have a spare capacitor for the Lucas AB14. So if it happens again I will change these while waiting for the other items to arrive.
  9. I guess the main problem is the intermittent occurrence of the fault. I can only try to change 1 item as and when the fault occurs. Unfortunately, other than the coil and a non-working distributor, I do not have any spares for the other parts. I have since order all the items I can think of for the ignition from SJ, and awaiting their delivery.. Costly, but I guess I do not have the liberty of ordering 1 item at a time..
  10. Yes, I was thinking the same. Will try it later. Tks
  11. yes, the Lucas 45D. I will need to measure the coil then, although I did check the parameters according to the service manual when I first fitted it hmm ... 1.1Ω and 9.2kΩ
  12. yes, I will need to take that into consideration as I have experienced the new coil failing. I will monitor for a while and if it happens again the next thing I will do is to pull the distributor and check. In situ inspection does not indicate any problems with the cap and rotor arm. and to add, I tried to hook up the spare powersparks distributor I have(the Ht lead and cable to coil), and hand turned the distributor, but it is no producing any sparks... I don't understand why... another new item failure??
  13. So I send an email to lotusmarques regarding the Pertronix, and according to Steve, it is in fact a step backwards as the Lucas's constant energy inductive pickup is superior compared to other types of pickup. he send me a file of someone testing the GM's HEI, which is equivalent to Lucas's CEI. It is too technical for me, but for the more technically inclined like ekwan might be interested to take a look ... CUSTOMISING_A_RELUCTOR_STYLE_DISTRIBUTOR.pdf
  14. they were replaced last november
  15. So, I replaced the coil again because of bad spark, and the car is alive once more. This time I used a Viper coil. The coil I replaced the previous leaking one with was a new original Lucas DLB198, not sure why it failed. However, I have learned to not be too sure and run the car for a while before I determine if it was the coil ... Will update again. Thanks.
  • Create New...