free hit
counters
New Member - Help on Exige Purchase - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
philnotts

New Member - Help on Exige Purchase

Hello,

After some late night reading through lots of threads and i am still none the wiser as to which way to go with my Exige journey!

The plan is to track the car a couple of times next year and some weekend drives. It wont be my day to day car. Annual millage will be around 2-3k in the exige

Not too concerned about speed, its more the corning and coming out of the bend that gets me going! 

Depreciation is a big factor as i don't really want to loose a lot on the car as i most likely would be selling towards the end of next year, unless i fall in love!

So the question is do i ;

1. Go for a high millage Exige S2 S around 25k

2. Low millage Exige S2 S at 30k plus

3. Save a bit more and go with the cheaper Exige 350 but i guess higher miles!?

Not sure if there is a Exige model that is the sweet spot of the whole range and any must have options for re-sale?

Thank you,

Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Depreciation proof weekend B-road fun screams S2 Exige to me. People would say Performance and Touring Packs are a must, but any 220S  that's been looked after (regardless of mileage) is a fine car.

Hi Phil,

I don't think you'll find a decent "high miler" Sport 350 for less than £45k. So you'd be waiting a while, unless you want an Exige S. very similar package, but cheaper - personally I'd get a Sport 350 over an S ( in for a penny... )

So to me, your options are get a mint S2. Mileage isn't always indicative of condition. I've seen cars showroom mileage in worse nick than cars with 10k miles on em from other brands.

Some lightly modded cars could be a better choice than a stock car, depending on how much you care for track use.

1 hour ago, philnotts said:

Thank you for the replies.

Sorry, my current weekend car is a Porsche 981 GTS.

Good Lord, sell it immediately :bustedcop:

So, assuming the Exige is to complement the Evora i'd say go S2 260. I had one and it was epic.

If you can't afford the Exige 350 then I'd recommend the V6 Exige S. I had one and loved it and I think it looks a lot better than the older S2's.

Why don’t you try driving both? I am pretty convinced the V6 will sway you. I have owned both. Equally great cars but the grunt of the V6 is addictive. 

You will struggle to get a sport 350 for the amounts you quote above. But the Exige V6 S is pretty much the same car. 

Hopefully somewhere local to Nottingham will have both to try but as mentioned as this is a toy, maybe trying to find a well looked after higher millage S2 is the way to go.

The 50.50 finance deal on a new 350 is tempting though but i guess i would be loosing 15k ish if i sold it at 2 years.

12 minutes ago, philnotts said:

Hopefully somewhere local to Nottingham will have both to try but as mentioned as this is a toy, maybe trying to find a well looked after higher millage S2 is the way to go.

The 50.50 finance deal on a new 350 is tempting though but i guess i would be loosing 15k ish if i sold it at 2 years.

A little bit more than that I'm afraid.
A new decent spec 350 is about £65k, plus RFL, if not more. Seen a few nudging £70k!! 
You can buy a very nice used 380 for that, which I think would be a better buy - but then the finance deals might not be good. I got I think 5,3% on mine which isn't too bad but not too good either. Definitely haggle hard with it - but don't look at just APR as they can adjust it all to suit with larger deposits, or bigger monthlies or even a bigger lump sum at the end. Lots of homework needed, unless you know finance.
I'd highly recommened you try all the cars you have in budget, they are lots of fun

22 hours ago, philnotts said:

Looks lovely from a well respected dealer who knows these cars. No part ex so make an offer

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

23 hours ago, mark248am said:

If you can't afford the Exige 350 then I'd recommend the V6 Exige S. I had one and loved it and I think it looks a lot better than the older S2's.

Also looks better than then the exige 350s onwards IMO, with the non-carbon bonnet giving a longer and sleeker appearance.

So, still going through the for sale ads and spotted the Lotus Exige LF1 edition.... Seems to hold a bit a premium vs other aged 350's but would this mean may hold its value a bit more due to being 1/81 cars?

19 minutes ago, philnotts said:

So, still going through the for sale ads and spotted the Lotus Exige LF1 edition.... Seems to hold a bit a premium vs other aged 350's but would this mean may hold its value a bit more due to being 1/81 cars?

Or looking at it another way, they're overvalued, considering there are 81 cars the same and they're about £10k more than a normal Exige S would be...