free hit
counters
Evora side skirts - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all 

I have a spare set of carbon fibre side skirts for an  Evora if anyone knows of someone looking for some?

thanks 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pop them in our classifieds Chris, it's free - www.lotusforsale.com

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

:thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

They do need drilling and riveting on to do them properly, for some reason I can’t upload any pics to this site as it says the file is too big.

You can link to pictures hosted on imgur or other hosting sites too.

For what its worth when installing barge boards....be aware that owner's over here have found that the main body wiring harness is routed along the LHS (driver side on US cars) rocker panel and is mounted flush to the lower body. This is the area that it is intended to be drilled for Rivnuts/bolt-on installations. The harness is not completely in the way (if I remember right, it was more of an issue towards the center mounting point of the barge board), but there is a chance of hitting it. Therefore, you may want to at least use a drill bit stop collar if you drill in that area.

I did not want to drill into that area on my car and risk hitting the harness (plus I want all my mods to be reversible with no holes etc.). So, when I mounted mine, I used a combination of bolts where bolt holes were already present (A-panel area and rear of barge board) and 3M VHB tape running the length of the barge boards. (I also added one center bracket that utilized 2 lower pan bolt holes to mount).

After almost 2 years, I've had no issues with them.
  • Like 2

@2011 Chrome Orange I really love your helpful posts, always very informative and helpful!  Thanks bud.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

My barge boards came with pre drilled wholes but yes be very careful  that side also has the radiator and break pipes. I watched how it’s made dream cars on August 17 that showed how the Evora is made, well worth a look you can see where they put everything and how it goes togeather.

50 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

@2011 Chrome Orange I really love your helpful posts, always very informative and helpful!  Thanks bud.

Thanks for the kind words, I truly appreciate it!  So many people have helped me in the past with my cars/projects, its the least I can do in return.

With that said, I can post more details and a few pics of my barge board install if anyone would like me to. I didn't want to bore anyone with the details if they weren't interested.

Yes please Chad.   I didn’t realise fitting could be problematic so would be very useful to see how you did it to avoid the problems.   Thank you..

No problem!  Here you go.....

To mount mine, I went with longer (M6-1.0 x25mm) bolts up front at my (aftermarket) vented A-Panels to make sure there was enough thread for a good bite. I also added a third bolt into my vented A-Panels so that even if the other two loosen, it can't pull out of the slots. (Off the top of my head I don't remember if the OEM A-panels have a provision for that third bolt or not. It might only have the two slots.)

I also used a long length of 3M VHB tape down the barge boards.  Before I applied the VHB tape, I wiped everything with a degreaser, then rubbing alcohol followed by a 3M adhesion promoter. I also used 2x2 boards wrapped in towels with 2 bottle jacks that I put under the barge boards overnight to put slight upward pressure and prevent any VHB tape droop while it fully cured/bonded.

To assist in securing the center area, I made aluminum "mid brackets" that simply mount to the lower pan with longer (M8-1.25 x 25mm) bolts. These brackets now also support the barge boards from underneath. Although they could not be mounted at the exact midway point, they still provide quite a bit of support while still being easily removed if the pan has to be dropped.

On my install, I liked the look of the rear of the barge board being more flush with the edge of the body. However, by moving the rear tapered section outward, the last mounting hole in the barge board would no longer line up with the pre-existing body hole. And, since I didn't want to rely on just the 3M VHB tape in the rear either, I made up another simple bracket to space the edge of the barge board out. This bracket enabled me to utilize the 5mm bolt hole location in the body that holds the small bracket for the fender liner scrivets. (I used a longer 5mm bolt with rubber spacers to mount the bracket). However, I had to figure out how to mount the barge board to the bracket without having a thick nut or bolt threads sticking up and causing interference with the car body. So, I used 10-24 (obviously, you could use the metric equivalent)  stainless steel round base weld nuts with a pan head machine screw to bolt them together. This meant that the top of the barge board only had a very thin flange where the top of the weld nut is mounted. (The flange is about the same thickness as the 3M VHB tape)

In the end, I didn't have to drill any holes in my car and I now have the front, mid and rear sections supported by bolts/brackets plus the 3M VHB tape.

The additional support cannot be seen unless you crawl under the car. And, I'm pretty sure the barge boards are not going anywhere, even if the VHB tape fails.

barge board front mount.JPG

barge board mid mount.JPG

barge board rear mount.JPG

barge board weld nut.JPG

• Like 1

Here's a  photo showing the wiring harness in that area that I stole from Julian73 (Thanks Julian!)  View is from rear wheel well looking forward.

You can see the rivnuts that he started to install and why he was concerned. (One rivnut is fully showing and the second is barely showing right against the harness)

IMG_00000330-001.jpg

• Like 1