free hit
counters
Rear suspension knocking - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cdm2018

Rear suspension knocking

Since I bought the car from Snows there always been a constant knocking sound coming from rear.

this afternoon my son had to drive the car as currently I am unable to drive due to recent illness so the car been sat on driveway for the last 3 weeks 

the car started first time despite recent wet and cold weather ( boot is still wet😗

my son asked what’s that knocking noise only second time he driven the car. 

When I purchased the car back in feb Snows said they replaced the bushes I think there’s a receipt but need to check ? 

Many ideas ? It’s an annoying sound making car sound like it was taped together? To my novice knowledge of an Evora the car seems to handle ok especially at low speeds I drive it ?

any thoughts ? It’s going into Central lotus in early new year for service , I have driven about 6k since owning 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Probably not this, but...

Very similar issue on our french POS, no one could find it cos of all the plastics, but the rear suspension bush has actually come partially out of the shock, so the shock body was hitting the bolt head on heavy bumps. Went thro an MOT like it, too.

Quite lucky it didnt slide right over and drop....

good luck

I am not sure if this clunky knocking noise is normal for an 2010 Evora ? 

Gut instinct tells me it’s these bushes that been mentioned in a few posts but given Snows replaced it last Jan ? 

I am having my doubts if that was completed or not correctly ? I should have asked at time but I was sorting out other things with car at that time and one of perils of buying from distance is you can’t just pop into dealership ? 

2 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

the car started first time despite recent wet and cold weather ( boot is still wet😗

Check where the carpet is attached at the front of the boot. It's held in place by the boot seal and can soak up water from the 'gutter'; you might be able to see the material below the seal looking from the side of the car with the boot open.

Try partially lifting off the seal and then gently pull the carpet so that there is less material hooked over the lip, then push the seal back into place.

Yes tried this moved the seal around and reattach the liner 

the liner on the engine side is actually dry it the base floor which is soaking 

had two dealerships & Bibs , Andy of this forum investigate the boot , with no luck to solution found yet ?

anyway it looks like my knocking noise is now more pressing issues I fear ? 

Cant offer a solution to your question, but if it is the shock - oem bilsteins and springs for £howcheap? Clik here

Had B&C re-grease my bushes when I heard some mysterious bumps from the back of the car,

also adjusted the rear leather seat which was squeaking up against something near the 12v socket

(though the sound had appeared to come from much further back into the engine bay).

Isn't there an air hose that runs into the boot to keep it cool, maybe thats worth checking for the source of your leak?

18_13amedium.gif

I don’t think it’s seat shame that be quick fix

its coming from the rear and both sides to be fair ? 

I will look at the hose to check ?

is the re-grease an easy DIY job ? Don’t have a garage. 

Thanks  

I think greasing or changing the bushes is not an easy one, but something to tack into a list for the next visit to a garage for a service.

Now if anyone can help me fix the rattle behind the dashboard I'll be very happy!

Ok I was going to ask central lotus to investigate this at its service in Jan 

feel an expensive bill ? Just spend nearly £800 on the audio replacement !

hopefully I will have recovered and able to drive as well ?

First thing I would do is check the torque on the wheel bolts. I hap similar on my n/a car and it was because a refinished wheel had too much pain in the bolt hole so the bolt came loose.

My current car has rear end clonking and is having bushes done next week. I am going to try the powerflex ones.

I have read a couple of threads on this topic maybe PM and tell me after having power flex bushes how much improvement you now get?

are you fitting them at lotus centre or DIY ? 

I will check wheel bolts in case but this clunky noise was from day one I should have raised it with Snows but like I said before I had a handbrake failure first to deal with and I thought it was characteristic of the car ! My ignorance 

Lotus Silverstone are fitting the bushes. It's not that expensive and my attention span when it comes to mucky jobs on cars is miniscule.

Can you let me how much silverstone are charging as I can ask Central my car due for its 12 month service so I can include the bushes in the service time 

i could use silverstone an extra 40 miles on journey but not much more in time ?

thanks 

Wow I was expecting higher costs ? 

Just out of interest did you consider a replacement of suspension system to avoid the on-going issues with these bushes & maybe improve rise and handling ? 

Or is it case the power flex bushes cure the knocking for many a year ?

The bushes referred to are the anti roll bar bushes. Easy enough to change and relatively cheap. I haven't used the Powerflex ones, but beware using bushes that are too hard for road use. The bushes are there to absorb shock between the arb and the mounting points.

I keep an eye on mine and keep them greased as a service item. 

Cheers Bruss

how do I know the power flex will be correct and eliminate the annoying knocking sounds ?

what is long term solution ? If there is one ? As I have read the threads where these bushes were replaced on annual basis ? 

First be sure it is those bushes that need changing. I had a knock that I couldn't find. Turned out to be the camera box that is located in the rear by the sub woofer. Velcro had come lose and the knock that I thought might be bushes turned out to be that. Having said that, I have also had the bush knock, but when I replaced them only one side appeared worn. 

The other thing that can wear is the drop link, one each side, it could be that. Let someone look at it first before replacing anything.

Re the bushes the only way to check is to take them out, and if you are paying someone else to do it, you may as well replace them for the cost.  Lotus has changed the spec of those bushes at least 3 times so they do know there is a problem. I have the latest Lotus bushes in to try and keep the original ride quality on the road, and they perform perfectly well on track. I do grease them regularly with to stop water getting in and rusting them in place. Long term solution is to keep them greased and replace if they do wear.

The Powerflex bushes that I have used on other cars in the past for track work have been of a harder material. As I say, nothing wrong with them but I haven't tried them on the Evora.

I will ask at next service to check them and if the brushes or drop links are source of knocking I will have them replaced during the service 

I don’t think anything is loose but the noise does eminante from the rear on both sides and it’s loud enough to be heard when radio not on ! 

To keep these greased up I assume you need to get car jacked up and get wheel off etc which I wouldn’t be capable of doing ? 

5 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

Wow I was expecting higher costs ? 

Just out of interest did you consider a replacement of suspension system to avoid the on-going issues with these bushes & maybe improve rise and handling ? 

Or is it case the power flex bushes cure the knocking for many a year ?

The powerflex bushes, while more durable, will change the ride somewhat, being of polyurethane construction they are much firmer and I believe these will take away some of the suppleness in the cars ride.  The other cause might be the toe links.

This was one of the aspects of the car I came across during my pre-purchase research - its something that needs regular (every other year sort of requency) maintenance, re-greasing and replacement when required and this can be done with the cars normal servicing.  The parts are something like £20 so not expensive.

Similarly, the wheel alignment is also something noted to keep on top of, I think the general consensus on that is once-a-year, but perhaps down to the journeys and roads you go.  Not a high cost item for correct alignment and there's a lot of different settings posted on this site you can try each time (some people use the 400 alignment settings I think??)

When does the knocking occur exactly? when cornering, at certain speeds, low speed / large steering input, on bumps etc etc

46 minutes ago, Techyd said:

The powerflex bushes, while more durable, will change the ride somewhat, being of polyurethane construction they are much firmer and I believe these will take away some of the suppleness in the cars ride.  The other cause might be the toe links.

This was one of the aspects of the car I came across during my pre-purchase research - its something that needs regular (every other year sort of requency) maintenance, re-greasing and replacement when required and this can be done with the cars normal servicing.  The parts are something like £20 so not expensive.

Similarly, the wheel alignment is also something noted to keep on top of, I think the general consensus on that is once-a-year, but perhaps down to the journeys and roads you go.  Not a high cost item for correct alignment and there's a lot of different settings posted on this site you can try each time (some people use the 400 alignment settings I think??)

When does the knocking occur exactly? when cornering, at certain speeds, low speed / large steering input, on bumps etc etc

The knocking occurs from setting off I have speed bumps in the village so as soon as I go over one at very low speed the noise is noticed, it continues not a cornering issue ? 

I am just surprised the sound is there when Snows replace them last Jan ????

hi clive, hope you get better soon!  cant believe that boot isnt resolved yet.. i think a smoke test from within the boot at duxford next year to finally put it to bed and locate the leak point... 

re the noise,, its defo not normal, no noise from mine..  but if you find its the shocks or shock bushings you can get a new pair still from motorsport auctions.. 

an absolute steel, i have a pair in the cupboard for some point when required in the future.. it cost me more to send my elise ones back to bilstein to refresh!!  

link here.. 

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/category/419/Engines-and-Gearboxes/listings/40511/Lotus-Evora-Rear-Bilstein-Shock-Absorber-(pair).html

best of luck chap

I had a constant knocking/pattering sound from the back of the car which I thought was suspension related.  It turned out to be I think the handbrake caliper slightly loose.