free hit
counters
Rear suspension knocking - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cdm2018

Rear suspension knocking

Around the battery box is common to leak. Or we setup a GoPro in the boot on one car, then a hose pipe and it was very obvious.

Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
12 hours ago, andyj007 said:

hi clive, hope you get better soon!  cant believe that boot isnt resolved yet.. i think a smoke test from within the boot at duxford next year to finally put it to bed and locate the leak point... 

re the noise,, its defo not normal, no noise from mine..  but if you find its the shocks or shock bushings you can get a new pair still from motorsport auctions.. 

an absolute steel, i have a pair in the cupboard for some point when required in the future.. it cost me more to send my elise ones back to bilstein to refresh!!  

link here.. 

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/category/419/Engines-and-Gearboxes/listings/40511/Lotus-Evora-Rear-Bilstein-Shock-Absorber-(pair).html

best of luck chap

Cheers Andy yes I am grounded for a weeks had a unexpected stroke ! Didn’t even know at time carried on my day even playing footy in the evening mind you I was rubbish falling about the pitch ! Lol 

I am considering buying a pair of the shocks but I was thinking maybe I should wait until car goes in for a service ? 

Obviously I need to get all clear from medics to resume driving which hopefully will be case ? 

Bruss comments about harder ride when bushes are changed to power flex is not good as I don’t want to make ride so brutal its fine for me at present 

Forgot to say 

the battery side of the boot carpet is dry it’s just the boot base which is soaking ?

i recall Andy & Bibs thinking water was travelling from around the seals or maybe the black grills parts but I am stumped on how it is only boot floor that is wet ????

blimey Clive..   take it easy fella..

perhaps use OEM bushes if any required then?  

i was the Andy at duxford..... 

regards

Andy

Thanks Andy 

I am now forced to take things easy but lack of mobility in terms of driving is hugley frustrating so I had to resort to internet xmas shopping ! Lol  

i just wondered were these power flex significantly altering the ride quality ? Otherwise like you said go with stock parts ? 

Hope you're back on the road soon Clive - take it easy, the key is the Physio, as you'll undoubtedly know by now you have to re-teach your body how to do some things!  My dad had one and he didn't know about it either!

I'm on the lookout for front shock absorbers, got the rears ready and will likely slowly assemble various parts!

Cheers tech 

yes I lucky it wasn’t too severe and I am hoping to play footy by mid jan 

i will get my first service out of the way in jan them appraise the situation of buying in spares in case ?

however my my youngest son looking to buy a Hyundai Veloster and he might need the Bank of Dad ! Lol 

Back from fab guys at central who serviced the car today 

it’s indeed the bushes that need replacing to get rid of the annoying knocking sound

so much for being told it was replaced this time last year ????

only silver lining is that it costs £100 to get both front and rear sorted ! Also they found the steering column has a slight play which they can adjust at same time 

only have to go back tomorrow as parts wasn’t in workshop

hopefully tried to solve boot leaks by adjustment to lid itself ? Wait and see 

will need to change front discs& pads in the next 4-5 months and tomorrow sort out TPMS in rear which seems not able to read pressure correctly 

Finally back from Central Lotus 

thsnkx to Adam he now sorted the annoying knocking sound which was coming from the front bushes ! I thought it was from the rear but in fact it was from the front .

the bushes were replaced with brand new OEM parts and when he showed me the old parts they were split and these were done this time last year by the dealership who sold me the car, there’s even a receipt to say it was ! Enough said 

anyway for the £100 odd I spent it’s made a noticeable different to how the car rides and that sound gone ! 

Adam adjusted my steering rack as it had a little excessive play and now the steering feel much more positive 

dare I say it feel like a new car ? Lol 

And when I get the carbon fibre effect wrap done on Monday it will look a different car too ! 

I just had Powerflex bushes fitted front and rear.  No additional road noise or harshness, cost about £130 to have both ends done at Lotus Silverstone.  Ift hey last longer than the OEM bushes I will be a happy bunny.

13 minutes ago, blueg33 said:

I just had Powerflex bushes fitted front and rear.  No additional road noise or harshness, cost about £130 to have both ends done at Lotus Silverstone.  Ift hey last longer than the OEM bushes I will be a happy bunny.

I considered these but I wanted to see why the apparent new bushes didn’t last ? 

The noise was almost from the moment I recived the car delivered to my by dealership so I went with the OEM parts but next time maybe the rears first I will use power flex ones ? 

It good to know you don’t get the excessive noise or harshness 

On 23/01/2019 at 18:24, Cdm2018 said:

I considered these but I wanted to see why the apparent new bushes didn’t last ? 

The noise was almost from the moment I recived the car delivered to my by dealership so I went with the OEM parts but next time maybe the rears first I will use power flex ones ? 

It good to know you don’t get the excessive noise or harshness 

It was only th erear bushes knocking on mine, but I decided to do powerflex all round as half and half didnt make good sense.  Apparently mine was the first time Lotus Silverstone have fitted powerflex

29 minutes ago, blueg33 said:

It was only th erear bushes knocking on mine, but I decided to do powerflex all round as half and half didnt make good sense.  Apparently mine was the first time Lotus Silverstone have fitted powerflex

Let me know how these power flex ones are working out ? I seen them on eBay and there’s in couple of colours not sure if this is just colour choice or difference in grade ? The dealer charged me about the same price for OEM as that for powrflex on eBay ? 

1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

Let me know how these power flex ones are working out ? I seen them on eBay and there’s in couple of colours not sure if this is just colour choice or difference in grade ? The dealer charged me about the same price for OEM as that for powrflex on eBay ? 

Two stiffness grade, Black ones being the stiffer of the two

HethelSport over here sells  Powerflex ARB bushings (both purple and black). According to their website:

"Bushings are available for two applications:

1. PERFORMANCE for street/track driving, and
  2. RACE for competition and road racing.

The difference is simply the density of the bushing.  Rubber bushings typically have a durometer of 50A (a standardized unit of measure for hardness).  Our purple Performance bushings are around 80A and our black Race bushings are about 95A."

I had the performance ones fitted

On 25/01/2019 at 12:34, Cdm2018 said:

I mention further up the thread. I like them.