free hit
counters
Question for Bibs - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Maybe you’ve already answered this question elsewhere and I missed it so here goes anyway. 

We know you had a lot of 2 way communication with the factory during the JMG era, but do they/you have much contact under Geely? We obviously had a plethora of upgraded/special edition models of all 3 car types under JMG so I guess that avenue has been done to death now but are we likely to see any more of the same or will there be radio silence until they actually have something new to show the world?

Not asking you to reveal anything you may have been told in confidence but just curious to know if we’re likely to see much now or will have to wait until the new Lotus dawn. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still speak to the factory 5-10 times a week on average, that's not changed at all and have a planned meeting to arrange with the new CEO at some point very soon now he's settled in.  It is a l

JMG was very controlling in every respect of the company, he did micro management most aspects to the nth degree, it was his style and not a popular one. Under Phil & Marcus people are now allowed

We know that, but what about the new Esprit?  

Thanks for the update mate. I kind of expected what you've said in your 2nd paragraph as we know from other media sources what they are working on, so no great surprise there obviously. I was curious to know if they are still keen to interact with you or had ceased communications until the new dawn, but it's good to know they are talking and it has to be said the general experience with Geely thus far has been pretty positive I think.

I just hope they can keep enough, or even improve, brand awareness until the new crop of models in 2-3 years.

7 hours ago, Bibs said:

JMG was very controlling in every respect of the company, he did micro management most aspects to the nth degree, it was his style and not a popular one. Under Phil & Marcus people are now allowed to do their jobs, and the people I speak to are much, much happier for it. You can see this through their use of social media now, it's got a much more positive vibe and is much more active, and indeed interactive with the public at large.

Barry, I've signed an NDA, I know nothing! :lol:

Uh Geneva 2019 is it Yea or Nay?

Is that covered by the NDA?

• Gold FFM

You won't need one for Switzerland as they told the EU to fook off years ago.

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

4 hours ago, NedaSay said:

Uh Geneva 2019 is it Yea or Nay?

Is that covered by the NDA?

I've got my press pass 🙂

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

20 hours ago, Bibs said:

I've got my press pass 🙂

Ok so after a one year absence, an acquisition, an announcement of 2 new sports cars for 2020, a change in leadership, and not a single new variant unveiled in what 7 months now. I really wonder what is Lotus going to bring at Geneva.

A concept car Esprit would be right in terms of timing and declaration of intent, it is too early to unveil the SUV as it would be almost 3 years away from release if it is still on course for 2022... 

Cabin tech updates on the Evora would be timely... If the Esprit is based on the Evora then it would not be illogical nor too costly to give the old Evora the same loom as upcoming new car, especially if Evora is to stick around a few more years. I guess the goal is too keep the production somewhat stable around 1500 cars...

I'm also waiting for a formal announcement on the plan for the 2nd factory whether they decide to go with the one in the UK or the one in China. Considering Lotus R&D and Lotus engineering now have bases in Zhejiang, I guess it would be logical to have the SUV factory nearby, it would also make for quick and easy shipping to the rest of the world.

I think we are at the end of special editions for Lotus.  I predict a complete reboot of the company and the most obvious thing to present at Geneva would be a Esprit concept car.

44 minutes ago, Ccd said:

I think we are at the end of special editions for Lotus. 

Oh, I don't know about that. 

We could have a Chinese new year edition. To be released in February with lots of pops and bangs from the exhaust.

Then maybe a Maryland edition. Originating in the USofA it will be large, overweight, and feature lots of chrome.

The foo yung edition will be egg yellow, with a dash of Norfolk mustard.

Don't get me started on Chinese pork...….a bit fatty, tastes worse than it looks, yet still very popular :no

• Gold FFM
On 19/12/2018 at 19:04, NedaSay said:

A concept car Esprit would be right in terms of timing and declaration of intent, it is too early to unveil the SUV as it would be almost 3 years away from release if it is still on course for 2022... 

Cabin tech updates on the Evora would be timely... If the Esprit is based on the Evora then it would not be illogical nor too costly to give the old Evora the same loom as upcoming new car, especially if Evora is to stick around a few more years. I guess the goal is too keep the production somewhat stable around 1500 cars...

I'm also waiting for a formal announcement on the plan for the 2nd factory whether they decide to go with the one in the UK or the one in China. Considering Lotus R&D and Lotus engineering now have bases in Zhejiang, I guess it would be logical to have the SUV factory nearby, it would also make for quick and easy shipping to the rest of the world.

Barry, why don't you offer up one of those giant chicken sheds you've been doing. Big enough for a full production line and you would have the new Esprit on your doorstep.

Following on from the fantastic 70th birthday bash, the best thing out of Hethel in a long time (other than the cars) must be the video currently showing on FB with the Evora delivering the Christmas tree. Now if that was shown on national TV as does AUDI, wouldn't that be an eye opener.

• Like 1