free hit
counters
Replacement 3-6 gears sport box - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
John z

Replacement 3-6 gears sport box

I ordered a replacement clutch(for just incase) at my dealer and asked them to look into 3-6 gears and got an email back saying the gears are no longer available as well as the transmission itself. this makes no sense to me since the gears are the same as the current 400 gears. 

Ive been trying to contact lotus(via email and multiple calls) and i have not had any any luck getting in contact with them.

The reason I'm looking into the gears is because i have a 2011 box and there is a rumor that some of the boxes have bad gears i don't wanna pay for a clutch swap and not  address the gears just for it to go a month later.

when i did the factory tour in july the guide said that every bolt and part on the car is recorded so they claim they know everything about these cars.. i can't even get in touch with them to see if that is true or not.

also, how much labor should a rebuild cost?(when the case is already out)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

i guess the replacement gear ratios  are made for lotus cars uk by a local firm so surely  then they must know.. 

when we did a factory tour, teh chap said they get the gearboxes in and split them to insert their own ratios... evora & exige v6 .. there not made from fairy dust so cant be rocket science to get this information surely?

There is a difference between the early sport ratios and the later ratios that were fitted to all cars - the former are indeed NLA, so the only option is to replace gears 3 thru 6, I believe.  Not sure what the technical reason is for this, as haven't had them side-by-side for comparison.

I think EA60 rebuild on the bench is about 9 hours labour.  As it's a three shaft box, it's quite involved.

Dave

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bibs said:

Email [email protected] and Neil Turner will get back to you, he's very good. :)

That's who I emailed, this was my email: 

"I have a 2011 Evora NA SCCLMDTU0BHA10718 and was wondering about the gears used in the transmission. 

I am currently setting up to have my clutch replaced at my local dealer Autosport Designs in Huntington Long Island NY, and I mentioned I had read online about some transmissions that had gears that had a potential to fail. 

Would it be a good idea to just have the dealer replace gears 3-6 preemptively? I would just hate to do a clutch replacement to have a gear fail a month later. 

Thanks for any information you can provide. 

John"

perhaps he's on holiday, that email was sent 10 days ago

if i can't get a definite answer if my box is one of the CR boxes, I'm going to do the gears. but being told gears are not available either isn't helping... 

• Like 1

You should be able to tell if it's a SR box by the RPM on the freeway in 6th. The exact speed vs rpm has been posted previously, but I could easily check mine for you. From memory, 4th in the standard box is the equivalent ratio to 6th in the SR.

Edited by DBG

10 hours ago, DBG said:

You should be able to tell if it's a SR box by the RPM on the freeway in 6th. The exact speed vs rpm has been posted previously, but I could easily check mine for you. From memory, 4th in the standard box is the equivalent ratio to 6th in the SR.

I know its a CR box, its just that some of the CR boxes have been breaking due to a defect. I am trying to find out if they know if mine falls under that small percentage. Also, if i do have a defective box or if they can't tell me if i do, why i can't order gears at the moment. if I'm going to spend nearly 40hrs labor to swap a clutch eventually, what's another 10hrs+parts to take care of a potential problem. 

Have you tried the aftermarket options you have in the US for the gears?   BOE Fabrication, Inokinetic or Monkey Wrench Racing?

You still need to ascertain if your gearbox is one of the dodgy batch and has a higher chance of failure.  But once you have that info maybe one of the above can help get replacement parts for it?

On 18/12/2018 at 02:33, John z said:

I ordered a replacement clutch(for just incase) at my dealer and asked them to look into 3-6 gears and got an email back saying the gears are no longer available as well as the transmission itself. this makes no sense to me since the gears are the same as the current 400 gears. 

Ive been trying to contact lotus(via email and multiple calls) and i have not had any any luck getting in contact with them.

The reason I'm looking into the gears is because i have a 2011 box and there is a rumor that some of the boxes have bad gears i don't wanna pay for a clutch swap and not  address the gears just for it to go a month later.

when i did the factory tour in july the guide said that every bolt and part on the car is recorded so they claim they know everything about these cars.. i can't even get in touch with them to see if that is true or not.

also, how much labor should a rebuild cost?(when the case is already out)

I'm the OP for the below topic back in June. There was an interesting post from @andyj007 who advised that he spoke to a technical director from the factory and that: 

"basically they (gears) were not upgraded, but  gear set suppliers were changed as original suppliers could not  provide quantity  when qr became standard fit 

no difference in design/ detail or specification.."

• Like 1

According to a quotation I have received to replace gears 3-6 in a 2011 CR box, the part numbers are:

B132F0049F 3rd gear driven

B132F0051F 4th gear driven

B132F0053F 5th gear driven

B132F0048F 6th gear driven

B132F0046F 3rd gear

B132F0048F 6th gear

A132F0160F 4th, 5th gear spacer assembly

1 hour ago, plenty said:

According to a quotation I have received to replace gears 3-6 in a 2011 CR box, the part numbers are:

B132F0046F 3rd gear

B132F0048F 6th gear

Do you know how many hours labour is required for the repair?

56 minutes ago, pkn said:

Do you know how many hours labour is required for the repair?

I've been quoted between 6-9 hours, not including the engine and box removal itself.  IMO it's worth doing if you're going to do the clutch anyway.

7 minutes ago, plenty said:

I've been quoted between 6-9 hours, not including the engine and box removal itself.  IMO it's worth doing if you're going to do the clutch anyway.

Thanks for that plenty, it's pretty labour intensive then once the hours for the removal and re-install are included as well. Would you mind disclosing the cost quoted for the job? It would be good to have an idea if I ever need to get it done. PM if you prefer not to make it public.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2018 at 15:45, plenty said:

B132F0046F 3rd gear

B132F0048F 6th gear

sorry for the delay, was away..

i was told none of this is available. that's my main issue. i honestly don't expect Lotus to know if my gears is bad or not. 

Part nos are correct and all gears should be available from Lotus - have just received some of them.

Note that 4/5 single drive gear (A132F0160F) now incorporates the previously separate spacer (collar) and this section also has internal splines.

Edited by IanA
More info
  • Like 1

On 23/12/2018 at 01:31, IanA said:

Part nos are correct and all gears should be available from Lotus - have just received some of them.

Note that 4/5 single drive gear (A132F0160F) now incorporates the previously separate spacer (collar) and this section also has internal splines.

Who did you order them from? I just had my clutch master replaced and was at the dealer today and we were talking and they said they can't get it thru their lotus USA channels..

BTW, still waiting for a response to my email

John you could probably order them from Deroure, who gets their stuff directly from Lotus too. 

Sorry, did not receive your email.

Seems that full sets of 3,4,5,6 may not available at present. Have just received 4/5 set but am waiting on others.

Suggest you send an email to Lotus to advise on the availability as per part nos above.

[email protected]

Edited by IanA
more info

3 hours ago, IanA said:

Sorry, did not receive your email.

Seems that full sets of 3,4,5,6 may not available at present. Have just received 4/5 set but am waiting on others.

Suggest you send an email to Lotus to advise on the availability as per part nos above.

[email protected]

I'm sorry, I didn't mean an email from you. I meant an email from lotus since I had already emailed customer services. I just tried emailing again...

I found this:

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product/mwr-ace-gear-set-upgrade-3rd-6th-evora-standard-or-sport/

Just haven't heard any reviews on it.

Edited by John z