free hit
counters
Recommissioning Lucas's Dry Sump - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sparky

Recommissioning Lucas's Dry Sump

In fact it's a 1980, but I'm glad someone picked up on it!

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
10 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Are we allowed to start speculating yet? 

My guess, big end cap bolts loose and snagging crankcase...

As good a guess as any.  After the initial 15 or so degrees, it's now approximately at midpoint so max deviation for the ends.  But it now won't turn either way... 

Starting to sound like 'Recommissioning' is a bit of an understatement...

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Henceforth, the vehicle shall be known as Christine 2.

Took a good look at the head today.  Plenty of rust, evidence of replaced guides and seats, pretty poor mating face and some nasty history on no. 4 - skim required.  No. 2 cylinder exhaust valves had to be drifted out, and I found out why.  The stem heads are deformed, as if they've been clouted with something heavy.  I'd call it maybe an interference event, if not for the fact that almost every valve has similar (but slightly lesser) damage.  Just can't wait to pull and strip the block...

IMAG2137-20190131-170215794.jpg

IMAG2134-20190131-170154346.jpg

IMAG2157-20190131-170448720.jpg

IMAG2155-20190131-170427917.jpg

IMAG2144-20190131-170255575.jpg

IMAG2145-20190131-170308429.jpg

IMAG2167-20190131-170845236.jpg

• Confused 1

Nice 😱

Only here once

Some big chap wearing a helmet with cow horns on it fitted those valves. I think he said his name was Thor, or something like that.

Margate Exotics.

He'll be Thor if I get my hands on him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sparky said:

He'll be Thor if I get my hands on him.

Vaseline required.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Henceforth, the vehicle shall be known as Christine 2.

I would not put the curse on it like that,  Its more of a neglected Belinda ..  The way it has been mistreated has given it a look only a mother could love..not a hex.  I have seen some like this in the past, they can be a real pain in the ass, but so rewarding when returned to its magnificent self..  

This is a classic example of stripped assemble and left.... It seems the person putting it together had little understanding of what he was doing and made the job a bit of a testing task ...  Unfortunately there is a massive difference in stripping and re-assembling an engine with  some new bits and building one properly..The main one being cost , followed by time/experience .   Most of this could have been prevented by simply using proper assembly compound, this would have protected it some ...  But from Gary's  description it sound like the valves were damaged as it was assembled or maybe before and not noticed they were bent.. possible previous belt failure..   

One can only speculate , but it looks like a challenge ... The biggest concern would be the unknown and unseen,  you may need to give it the full monty to be sure...   A dry sumper is always worth the extra effort.

Something to get your teeth into..  

• Like 1

My main concern is, of course, Lucas's sanity.  Anything can be sorted if you throw enough time and money at it!

The head is now a known quantity, valves and guides not good, possible weld and skim.  Block and gearbox yet to be pulled (snow/ice prevents access today) but I'm going to assume rings/liners/shells as a minimum.  Strip oil pump and hope all is good.  Gearbox/clutch unknown as yet, but box shifts smoothly at least.  All hydraulic items to be refurbed/replaced.  Electrics will be a challenge.  Oil tank is dire.  Huge bin of bits and fasteners to go through, and various missing items to source.  Then a complete nut and bolt check.

Reckon my next concoction will be GraphoGin.  It'll help me assemble engines.

• Like 1

Surely it is a get it up and running and worry about cosmetics later. My main concern would be getting it done before Brexit as then we will all be out hunting 🤪

• Like 1

Lucas, when this is done, it will 100 percent be worth it - it will be a beautiful car - it already looks pretty good...

• Like 2

I won't be doing cosmetics!  I can barely wash a car.  I've survived threats of a new ice age, ozone layer depletion, imminent nuclear destruction, Y2K, global warming (later rebranded climate change coz it didn't get warm enough), fuel shortages and a couple of bombings.  None has ever impacted my ability to fix a car.  I doubt Brexit will either.  😁

On the other hand, 3 inches of snow and I can't get to the workshop...

• Haha 1

Oh and @Sparky don’t get too carried away remember I have got to show you how to do the belts on my Dry Sump in the next few months I will bring gin x

Can't wait to watch you do the job!

are tickets available? :) 

It's getting there......

3 minutes ago, TAR said:

are tickets available? :) 

Only if you can call the ambulance 

Thanks to Chris @internetsfor the extra pair of hands today, facilitating deck and engine removal.  I regret I am once again the harbinger of doom, as per photos...

The liners are all quite poor, but no. 2 is particularly nasty.

IMAG2176-20190202-212717173.jpg

IMAG2175-20190202-212736920.jpg

2 incorrect gauge bolts used to secure clutch cover, resulting in damage to flywheel.  Beyond belief.

IMAG2177-20190202-212649174.jpg

IMAG2183-20190202-212418319.jpg

Fair amount of crap inside.

IMAG2184-20190202-212401681.jpg

Front cover broken, no timing index.

IMAG2182-20190202-212450891.jpg

Roller bearing not square!

IMAG2179-20190202-212557683.jpg

Failed miserably to get the MBH off, so have left it to soak and will revisit Monday.  Can't wait to see the shells!

History is sketchy, but the engine may have sat for 15 years or more, some of that time outside.

In which case - it’s in remarkably good order

Only here once

Poor thing,   I presume the clutch cover wrong size bolts must of been banged in with an airgun,  either that or a fellow with hands like the incredible hulk put them in with a rachet :o

Good job on the strip,  :thumbup:

A

ooooh ...  Cringe..  

Bit worried why you should struggle to get MBH off,  I take it the M8's  are stuck. 

Also the solution in auxiliary housing which should be oil , would give concern on the condition of the dry sump pump.  Looks like water ingress. 

But nearly there , not much more to find .  On the positive side you have not found any of the good bits yet,  maybe today..:animier: 

• Haha 1