free hit
counters
Recommissioning Lucas's Dry Sump - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sparky

Recommissioning Lucas's Dry Sump

Cheers Mark.  The tank definitely must come out, so I'm interested to see that.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That's gotta be the wetest dry sump I've ever seen, there's almost as much water in that block as in @Dan E 's Elan (but not Quite)

You should rename this thread THE TITANIC TASK 

My attitude has shifted from 'glass half empty' to 'engine half full'.

However, I must disagree with one of your statements.  I've worked on @Dan E's Elan, and it is without doubt the wettest thing I've ever met (excepting caravan owners).  A truckload of Rich Teas wouldn't come close to drying it.

• Haha 2

Now, now ladies, i would like to point out that car is dry as a bone now and fitted with a TLF external cover! New carpets soon (well when it gets warmer as a bit cold at the moment) 

Anyway back to the thread (V8's are Shite and Anyone with a yellow car has a fixation with fly's & Insects and are normally referred to as "Special" especially if they wear shorts all year round) 

• Haha 1

Ooh, touched a nerve there. 😜

• Haha 1

The list gets longer.

IMAG2356-20190207-210500240.jpg

IMAG2363-20190207-210425315.jpg

IMAG2366-20190207-2103595.jpg

• Sad 1

FFS. *********** !!!    How could this engine be sold as one which had oil in it and previously turned over..   None of the exposed parts indicate this was at all the case....  The person who sold this car should be ashamed and held to account for selling under false representation...   Its a bloody disgrace....    

That happens a lot in the car world. Unless there are photographs, receipts and yo7 can see the engine running assume it’s a full rebuild. I was nearly in this boat! 

Was up at Maison Sparky yesterday and assisted, mainly holding and steadying, during the pin extraction. It should have been renamed a Grudgeon Pin given the reluctance it showed in venturing out in to the light!

Having seen all of the bits, casings, chambers etc, branding this job as 'challenging' is a fairly mild assessment of what lies ahead. Doable, of course, but Sparky will need a snorkel as he won't be surfacing soon!

I will bid for the roof stereo and wheels when we get to that point. 

Seriously though what a shame its been lashed up like this. 

First glance was encouraging I expect. See you in a year or so sparky... ✌️

we're already at that point, someone coming to take it on Wednesday

• Sad 2

buyer has backed out, although he said keep me informed... so if anyone would like to take it on let me know before it heads for eBay

Would it not sell for a higher price if Sparky worked his skills on it first or are we now looking at donor engine etc??

It most certainly would. Even with the work involved you probably would make money if it was completed but it’s a lot more than I expected to spend and just can’t do it right now.

A real shame you can't hang on a stunning car. 

If I had the time and space, I'd probably take it on for myself at the right money.  But it would be a labour of love.

• Like 1

Mate, I'm not even sure who is Labour any more!

• Haha 1

ooh good point...

It would be the perfect bond car twin... correct interior which looks great (new headlining needed aside). Just all the rest which needs doing to get it up to perfection standards...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

I don't think @Lotusfab is going to get much sleep tonight...

What are the chances of another one of these in this spec appearing at affordable money?

The sweaty hands have returned! Unfortunately money and the divorce costs have priced me out of this one!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'd actually have liked @Lotusfab to have it but I need to recoup my outlay. I've had comments from two people about not liking the interior so would probably change it!!

3 hours ago, LJR said:

I've had comments from two people about not liking the interior so would probably change it!!

That's a sin, it's a piece of Lotus motoring history in its own right, we need to save it. 

What about crowd funding, who's got £100 to make this a TLF FYEO dry sump Esprit.

What d'ya think @Bibs

@Steve V8 you've just given me an idea. Although I have an offer on the table that I'm about to accept the ideal place for this car could be the Heritage museum that Lotus are planning. @Bibs I just called the Factory and they said everyone has gone home for the day but anyone you can speak to before I take the offer just in case?

• Like 2

That's a brilliant idea. I would donate towards it.

• Like 2