free hit
counters
Dumb Question - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TpupNomad

Dumb Question

In the current issue of Absolute Lotus, page 20, there is a pic of a Turbo Esprit (sticker right on the nose of the car) but the description says "S3".  I have seen other references to a Turbo Esprit being a S3 on Instagram recently.  I thought the S3 was a NA car; an update from the Esprit S2 with a 2.2 liter motor and other changes.  Isn't a Turbo Esprit its own model and an S3 is the next gen after the Esprit S2?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You are correct.

People often refer to a S3 Turbo Esprit (or other sequence of words) but there never was an earlier version of a Turbo Esprit, so the two models (Naturally Aspirated and Turbo) run side-by-side with disparate sequencing but people get them confused.  It gets even worse with the S4 being several models after the Turbo Esprit (which is not the same as the Esprit Turbo).

I believe the S3 came after the Turbo. Confusion reigns simply because the S3 uses the Turbo chassis, but the engine's NA. Perhaps the stickers are incorrect on the car that is pictured.

The S2.2 was the ultimate S2 with, for the esprit the first 912 NA 2.2l motor and for the first time a hot dip galvanised (S2) chassis and was launched februari 1980 - march 1981

The esprit S3 ( NA) arrived in april 1981 to succeed the S2.2. It had the new chassis of the turbo esprit but the 912 NA 2.2l of the S2.2

The massive media event at the albert hall to debut the essex turbo esprit was februari 1980 and overshadowed the start of the S2.2 (NA) completely.

Geert

PS

In essence there never was a S3 turbo esprit.

Edited by gvy

I have the original sales brochure for the S3. Will scan it up when I get home from overseas tonight. 

Edited by ekwan