free hit
counters
1981 Lotus Éclat S2.2 Monaco White - Lotusforsale.com - Latest Ads - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lotusforsale.com

1981 Lotus Éclat S2.2 Monaco White

For sale a newly refurbished Lotus Éclat S2.2 registered on 1 August 1981. For those that are unaware of the difference between the S1 models from 1976 to 1980 and the S2 models 1980 to 1982, the S2 has many far superior features making it in my humble opinion the best model to own and use on a regular basis, it has a galvanised chassis, galvanised rear radius arms and front/rear lower links, higher torque 2.2 litre 16V twin cam Lotus engine, bullet proof Getrag 5 speed gearbox, electrically operated headlamps, updated interior, improved cooling through front spoiler.

Registered 1 August 1981
Monaco White Original Colour
Manual steering and no air con
Full 4 Seater
Lotus 2.2 Litre Twin Cam 16V Engine
160 bhp 160 lb ft torque
58,635 miles from new
Speedline alloy wheels
Galvanised chassis, radius arms and lower links.
Electric windows and door mirrors
Electrically operated headlamps
Stainless Steel Exhaust System
Retro style radio with bluetooth and aux input
Battery cut off switch

New parts fitted in refurbishment:-
Gates cambelt
Tensioner bearing
Fan belt
Spark plugs
Silicone cam cover gaskets
Carbs rebuilt
Inlet manifold O rings
Air filter
Oil and filter changed
Full set of silicone water hoses
HEL braided brake hoses F/R
Brake pads
Rear Springs
NOS front Spax gas adjustable shocks
Anti roll bar to lower link poly bushes (SJS)
Anti roll bar to chassis poly bushes (SJS)
Trunnion kit fitted
Front wheel bearings
Underbonnet sound deadening foam (SJS)
Underbonnet air deflector (SJS)
Bonnet gas strut
Coverdale full carpet set
Under carpet sound deadening
Headlining material (SJS)
Retro style radio
Aerial
Battery (4 Year Warranty)
Battery cut off switch
Full respray in factory Monaco White
New black vinyl roof
Decals and waist trim replaced
Boot carpet
Door and boot seals
Newly refurbished external aluminium/chrome trim
Door beams, brackets and pins
Wiper blade
Windscreen
12 months MOT

I purchased the Éclat in June this year, mechanically sound but cosmetically looking rather tired, only to be expected for a 37 year old Lotus. I am a Lotus enthusiast, this is my 33rd Lotus over a 40 year period, my passion is to refurbish them and then move onto the next project, so hopefully that answers the perennial question “why are you selling”, I have taken it as far as I can so that the next owner can enjoy many miles of trouble free Lotus ownership, I would happily drive this to John O’Groats and back.

I have just completed a six month refurbishment, the new parts are listed above, it has been resprayed in the factory colour of Monaco White, this was a doors off and windows out job, not just a quick blow over. New decals and waist trim were fitted.

The doors were removed and stripped, refurbished door beams were fitted with new door pins and mounting brackets, the door frames were rust proofed and painted, window motors had the old congealed grease removed, re-greased and tested under load.

The interior was gutted, new Coverdale carpets fitted, new headlining, centre dash panel re-veneered, electrical connections cleaned, new relays fitted, new radio and aerial fitted, interior seats, centre console, door cards were steam cleaned and the black cloth re-dyed.

The engine had a new Gates cambelt and tensioner bearing, new silicone hoses, cylinders compression tested and all were a very healthy 180psi, new spark plugs fitted, valve clearances were checked and all are within factory tolerance, new silicone cam cover gaskets fitted and these are re-useable, the Dellorto carbs have been rebuilt and new manifold O rings fitted, air filter replaced, the oil was changed with new oil filter, carbs were balanced using a manometer and the mixtures were adjusted during the MOT emissions test to give the optimum readings.

The front suspension was stripped, de-rusted and painted, NOS Spax gas adjustable shocks were fitted, new spring top rubber mounts, poly bushes were fitted to the anti roll bar to lower link and to the chassis mounts. the brakes were stripped, new pads fitted, the discs were replaced with good secondhand ones I had in stock, the brake hoses were replaced with new HEL braided hoses front and rear, all old brake fluid was flushed out and replaced with fresh DOT4, brakes bled and the handbrake was adjusted for the MOT. The trunnions were serviceable but stripped cleaned and fitted with new bushes/washers, upright threads were inspected for corrosion and were found to be very good. Brake disc dust shields were corroded and replaced with good secondhand ones from stock. The front wheel bearings were replaced with new. Rear wheel bearings were checked and found to be in good order as were the driveshaft UJs, new rear springs had been fitted recently and the shocks are serviceable with no leaks. The manual steering rack has no play, boots are not split and the track rod ends are in good order

The tyres are virtually new with minimal wear, wheels have had a light refurbishment and look very presentable.

There is probably a lot that I haven’t mentioned but I would have lost most casual observers long before now, the real enthusiasts looking for such a classic have hopefully persevered to this point.

If you are looking for a cheap Lotus that requires a full respray, possibly a chassis change, engine/gearbox rebuild, interior refurbishment and a host of other issues to resolve then this clearly isn’t the car for you, I could point you in the direction of many circa £3K to £5K that require at least £10K to bring them anywhere near the standard of my Éclat, if however you are looking for a timeless classic that has had all the work done and will give you many years of enjoyment then maybe this is the one for you. I believe this is the best available, if there is a better one out there I haven’t seen it.

No canvassers or tyre kickers please, final note to scammers, don’t waste your time I will NOT reply, I know every scam in the book, I will not get involved in shipping the car, it only leaves my possession after full payment in cash or bank transfer, and in both cases I will accompany the purchaser to his bank to ensure he/she is who he/she claims to be.

Sorry but I am not interested in any part exchanges so again please don’t offer your rusty old Allegro and £500 cash, I won’t respond.

Genuine buyers and discerning enthusiasts can contact me anytime on the provided number, viewing at your convenience in Enfield North London, thanks for reading, David.

The post 1981 Lotus Éclat S2.2 Monaco White appeared first on lotusforsale.com.

View the full article

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.