free hit
counters
Handbrake hell - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mpjg

Handbrake hell

Hi everyone,

I will apologise in advance, I have searched the forum and internet for the answer but cannot find it, so if it is out there already, my mistake. 

The final big piece in the 1988 esprit project is to get the handbrake to work efficiently enough for an MOT. The rear brakes have been converted over to the Brembo calipers from a v8 at some point. the manual I have got for the 1988 esprit shows the standard caliper. The bit of information that the manual gives is a MM value from were the caliper should be measured and then the slack taken out of the cable on the adjusters. I have searched high and low and cannot find out if there is a similar value for the Bremebo rear calipers?

The other random thing is that where the handbrake cable fixes onto the lever on the caliper there is a spacer. Should this be there?

I can get the handbrake to hold but it is easy for the car to power through. Even tried in anger to wind the adjusters to the tightest possible and it still will pull through. To add I should mention that both calipers have been refurbed and working.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
26 minutes ago, mpjg said:

The rear brakes have been converted over to the Brembo calipers from a v8 at some point. 

Might be an idea to post the question on the V8 forum then. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

I've not got my manuals to hand, but would suggest something like 3mm, as it should be enough for the caliper adjustment mechanism to be fully backed-off even if the cable is deflected.

• Like 1

Hi Mark, some photos of the V8 Brembo equipped service notes and cable ends for comparison to the setup you have.

DSC_0555.thumb.JPG.2ca4aa6606155f23e39bc392775abab5.JPG

DSC_0557.thumb.JPG.bd915d199705c99bc3b71822c6b8978d.JPG

DSC_0559.thumb.JPG.d53271d67fc507b4f9ff6155baf6f27d.JPG

DSC_0560.thumb.JPG.9442fd0ea607ffc606303760be3afefd.JPG

I'd think to get that all important 76mm of travel on the lever you may need to invest in some correct cables and or check that the compensator and multiplier levers are the same spec as the Brembo equipped V8.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone :) Thats great steve.

By the looks of it the original cables are still in place so looks like i will need to swap them out. The joys haha 

I think  my TE (which has SE under-pinning) still uses the original (SE) cables with a bullet nipple, and original compensator etc despite having the Brembo rear calipers.  I don't have any problems with an inefficient parking brake, keeping in mind that cable-operated parking brakes are not very effective and it's pretty easy to pull away with the handbrake on as firm as it will go.

• Like 1

If you do change the cables... Tip of the day, attach a peice of wire to the old cables before pulling them through the bulkhead, they do a sharp turn in the inaccessible void under the fuel tank, you can then use the wire to pull the new ones back through.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:26, andydclements said:

I think  my TE (which has SE under-pinning) still uses the original (SE) cables with a bullet nipple, and original compensator etc despite having the Brembo rear calipers.  I don't have any problems with an inefficient parking brake, keeping in mind that cable-operated parking brakes are not very effective and it's pretty easy to pull away with the handbrake on as firm as it will go.

I think it may be a simple case of me expecting to much from the handbrake. The esprit has been the first ( of hopefully many ) old cars that I have worked on so still learning about the good old ways 

It probably is that, but difficult to tell without experiencing the brakes in person. Modern cars will come to a halt quite nicely using the parking brake (OK, not the current one as it's electronic so I don't try), but I've driven for quite some distance with the Esprit brake on, only realising it's on when I put the clutch in and it slows more than just coasting to a junction.