free hit
counters
Silicone coolant hoses for S4s - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Silicone coolant hoses for S4s

• Gold FFM

While I've had some time off over Christmas I've been starting to research and order up some parts to get cracking on some of the many jobs to do on my S4s.

One task on the list is replacing some tired looking coolant hoses and on previous cars I've use silicone hoses bit none of the usual suspects seem to do hoses for the Esprit. I've seen some sets from Chinese sellers on ebay but at the price they're selling them at I'm concerned about the quality.

Does anyone here have any experience of these hoses on ebay or know of any more established brands that sell sets for the S4s?

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have the Roose Motorsport hoses off eBay, not all fitted yet but so far excellent quality and a perfect fit. And so they should be at that price If you decide to go with silicone, buy them with

Some years but little miles on a set of eBay hoses. Fit was good, although I was putting a Stevens set on a G-car, which required some cutting up front.  I had to upgrade the clamps to get them to sea

Ah the joys of internet forums, for every one positive experience you get one negative. Given the price of them I'm tempted to take a punt, but I might wait until I've drained the coolant and pro

• Gold FFM

Don’t bother. They are pretty much all a poor fit and rubbish quality. Plenty of issues on here with them

Only here once

Can't help you with local UK sellers, but JAE Parts in the USA sells high quality silicone hose sets (or individual items).

I know that a couple other owners had issues with eBay pieces a few years down the road.

If you DO fit silicone (at least to the small 90 degree water pump hose and the under-intake hose) get proper clamps for them, and coat the insides with Hylomar AF to ensure proper sealing.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I kept looking at those kits, and after a few on here indicated the kits were perhaps not as good as the owners would like,  I decided to not go for silicone. next time the engine comes out, I may replace the hoses (or the ones that are awkward to access when engine is in place) with new rubber ones.  They're perhaps not as pretty as silicone, but if they lasted c30 years before the internal cords started to weaken, then I think another 30 years would be more than enough to keep me happy.

I have the Roose Motorsport hoses off eBay, not all fitted yet but so far excellent quality and a perfect fit. And so they should be at that price

If you decide to go with silicone, buy them with the stainless clips.

• Like 1

Some years but little miles on a set of eBay hoses. Fit was good, although I was putting a Stevens set on a G-car, which required some cutting up front.  I had to upgrade the clamps to get them to seal well,  although I did put them on dry, w/o hylomar or other sealant. No sign of degradation so far.  They'll probably fail as soon as I hit submit reply......

• Haha 1

I had silicone on my Esprit for 12 years with no issues. Engine only, not rad pack.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• Gold FFM

Ah the joys of internet forums, for every one positive experience you get one negative.

Given the price of them I'm tempted to take a punt, but I might wait until I've drained the coolant and properly inspected the existing hoses before making any decisions.

• Like 1

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Good point, Tom.

The thing that got me was that all the rubber hoses I took off my S4s were vintage 1995 (dated on the hose), so probably the originals, but none were actually leaking. After the poor experience with silicone, I reasoned that if the rubber ones lasted 22 years from new, then I’ll be well past caring when they come up for replacement next time around, and if they’ve lasted that long, then why should I buy silicone anyway?

So far the rubber hoses have been leak-free, so I’m sticking with them!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.