free hit
counters
Condensation/Damp problem - Interior - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rick

Condensation/Damp problem - Interior

Recommended Posts

I've got a two fold question, prevention and cure.

The interior gets so damp, I can barely drive the car over winter, the windscreen is so wet with condensation I just can't get it dry, as much as I wipe it there is always a fine mist on it that as soon as the low sun shines on I can't see a thing.

I now also have mold showing on the seat belts, and as I've just had all the interior retrimmed I really don't want that to go moldy.

So firstly, how do I get rid of the mold I've already got.

And secondly, how do I stop the inside getting so wet!?

It's an outdoor car BTW and there is no option garaging it.

 


'82 Turbo Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I do have a cover for it, but never thought that would stop the inside from getting condensation?

I've tried another type of dehumidifier I got from the supermarket, just a use once and throw away when it done jobby. Couple of days and it was spent and never stopped any damp. I'm willing to try the above type though.

I had an MR2 before this and it had the same issue which I always put down to it's leaky T-bar roof. I'd say the Esprit has it worse though 

 

Modern cars don't seem to have this problem 😕


'82 Turbo Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is because they are way better isolated. An esprit is not really leakfree...

You could of course start with the use of an electric dehumidifier ( the type used in campers/boats) wich will be way better to really absorb all moisture in the cabin. Let it run for some hours over an extension cable or buy one on rechargeable batteries  Small units are able to take as much as 10l moisture/day and work way more efficient then the passive ones. Ones dry, have a look if you can maintain the situation with a passive one.

That should get the car dry

Edited by gvy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rick said:

Couple of days and it was spent and never stopped any damp. 

Have you tried to determine how the water is getting in? If it's not comming from the heater matrix or hoses leaking, which will leave a sweet smell from the antifreeze, then the windscreen or door seals are the most obvious culprits. :thumbup:


Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jonwat said:

Have you tried to determine how the water is getting in? If it's not comming from the heater matrix or hoses leaking, which will leave a sweet smell from the antifreeze, then the windscreen or door seals are the most obvious culprits. :thumbup:

I'm not seeing any puddles of water, or anything running in.

Just lots of condensation.

Saying that, maybe the rubber round the doors, that's always falling off.

8 minutes ago, gvy said:

That is because they are way better isolated. An esprit is not really leakfree...

You could of course start with the use of an electric dehumidifier ( the type used in campers/boats) wich will be way better to really absorb all moisture in the cabin. Let it run for some hours over an extension cable or buy one on rechargeable batteries  Small units are able to take as much as 10l moisture/day and work way more efficient then the passive ones. Ones dry, have a look if you can maintain the situation with a passive one.

That should get the car dry

This sounds like a good plan.

Never really considered much water getting in from the outside.

Maybe a car cover would help? Once it was dry that is.

I don't really like car covers though, I don't like the idea of them rubbing on the paint in the wind


'82 Turbo Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Rick said:

I'm not seeing any puddles of water, or anything running in.

Just lots of condensation.

Saying that, maybe the rubber round the doors, that's always falling off.

This sounds like a good plan.

Never really considered much water getting in from the outside.

Maybe a car cover would help? Once it was dry that is.

I don't really like car covers though, I don't like the idea of them rubbing on the paint in the wind

To be honnest, I am not a fan of carcovers either.

Long time ago ,I had a damp wooden garage , so I decided to make my own carcoon, something like this:

Carcoon 5,05x2 m Transparant/Rood, Binnengebruik
I used on the floor a piece of old vinyl. Then i bought  a roll of strong transparent building plastic and with the use of strong ducttape , I made the carcoon. In the back I taped in 3 small computerfans ( out of an old desktop) and in the front I made a small opening in the plastic. The carcoon was sticked to the vinyl using velcro all around. It worked unbelievable. I could drive a complete wet car in the garage, put the carcover over it, switch the fans on and within the hour the car was completely dry. It was strange that 3 small fans blew up the carcoon within seconds. An added bonus was that the coon didn't touch the car and that the car was protected against all sorts of "falling" things in that small garage.... The fact is that just the presence of a constant airflow, will overcome all moisture. It is used in the army to protect  electronic devices and also companies use it to store and preserve antique wooden furniture or valuable oldtimers in big unconditioned warehouses
 
Edited by gvy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rick said:

I'm not seeing any puddles of water, or anything running in.

Saying that, maybe the rubber round the doors, that's always falling off.

You wouldn't see puddles, the carpets would suck it all up, do they feel damp?

The door seals should be a real tight fit, I'd be looking at replacing them. In this episode of Wheeler Dealers Ed uses a smoke machine to find where the door seals leak. :thumbup:


Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good shout, I'll get some new door seals.

I bet I could get hold of a smoke machine actually, that's a neat trick.

I'll have a feel of the carpets in the morning!

Thanks 


'82 Turbo Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is Rick you need to kill the mould, which involves distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle 8 parts vinegar to 2 parts water, tooth brush and a surgical mask. It might seem counterintuitive but spray it on leave for 15mins then get the mould off with tooth brush (using mask as its bad shit) then block the car in, get the heater on open the windows an inch and leave it running until it is dry and take it from me this takes a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a sunroof?


British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dan E said:

The thing is Rick you need to kill the mould, which involves distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle 8 parts vinegar to 2 parts water, tooth brush and a surgical mask. It might seem counterintuitive but spray it on leave for 15mins then get the mould off with tooth brush (using mask as its bad shit) then block the car in, get the heater on open the windows an inch and leave it running until it is dry and take it from me this takes a long time. 

My heaters don't work very well at all, but I'll run an extension cord and heater. It won't leave it smelling of vinegar I take it?

12 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Do you have a sunroof?

I do, and it pissed water in when I first got the car and all collected in the roof. But before last winter and before the retrim I totally sealed it up with silicone so nothing getting in from there (I hope)


'82 Turbo Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does smell for day, until it dries, you really need to kill the mould I have 96 surgical masks (don’t ask)  so PM me and I will stick a few in the post. It does work I promise you. Fan heaters work but be careful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dan E said:

It does smell for day, until it dries, you really need to kill the mould I have 96 surgical masks (don’t ask)  so PM me and I will stick a few in the post. It does work I promise you. Fan heaters work but be careful. 

Thanks very much, I'll get it done.

It's cool, I can get some masks, but thanks for the offer

  • Like 1

'82 Turbo Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy the vinegar in tescos for 39p 

Oh and a wet vac 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dan E said:

You can buy the vinegar in tescos for 39p 

Oh and a wet vac 

Cheers, thanks very much!!!


'82 Turbo Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

Not a solution as such, but maybe remove the floor carpets until Spring  arrives?

Definitely a good idea, I think there glued down though


'82 Turbo Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you sealed the slots in the roof for the sunroof tongues?


British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sparky said:

Have you sealed the slots in the roof for the sunroof tongues?

It's an aftermarket sun roof so there are no slots in the roof for it. I've ran silicon all the way round so it doesn't even open any more.

I don't 'think' there is anything getting in through there now as it used to drip on me while driving.


'82 Turbo Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy a bag of silica cat litter (5kgs is about £6-7) and some thick tights, cut the legs off the tights, fill them with the litter and tie the ends, this is about a million times more effective than the little dehumidifiers you can buy. 


88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant tip!!

When I had the MR2 I bought a kg of silica and put it in tights, but it was expensive, didn't think of cat litter, thanks!


'82 Turbo Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...