free hit
counters
Condensation/Damp problem - Interior - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rick

Condensation/Damp problem - Interior

Hi Rick good luck ....Hope you are enjoying the car ....Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
26 minutes ago, cbclotus said:

Hi Rick good luck ....Hope you are enjoying the car ....Mike

Hi Mike,

Yeah, absolutely loving it (when the inside of the windscreen isn't frozen ha ha).

you could try putting some of those unibond aero 360 things in when your parked

usually quite cheap in asda or tescos...if they don't work you've only lost a tenner

51 minutes ago, semi42 said:

you could try putting some of those unibond aero 360 things in when your parked

usually quite cheap in asda or tescos...if they don't work you've only lost a tenner

They look like a similar concept to the cat litter hack. Like your say, very cheap and worth a try.

I've a feeling finding where water is getting in is going to be the key to long term prevention

Had a good feel around this evening.

Under the driver's seat is soaking!

Nothing higher up or further forward is damp so at a guess, it's getting in through the door seal at the B pillar and running in through the bottom of the door. I'll have to get it replaced and make sure it's all a good fit!

Edited by Rick
  • Like 1

Bibs usually keeps a stock of tights. Nights can get cold in Ryarsh.

7 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Bibs usually keeps a stock of tights. Nights can get cold in Ryarsh.

😂😂😂😂

Rick,

I suggest you do examine the door seal but also broaden the search to include a look for stress fractures particularly near the door striker and upper/lower body joint. I suspect that water will migrate past the door seal unimpeded if provided a capillary path via cracks in the GRP. Also examine the bulkhead / firewall plywood for rot. I am not confident that the rivets holding the capping rail, nor the B pillar trim over the cabin ventilation aperture will remain watertight in exposure to bad weather. Other points of concern are whether the windscreen seal is sound, and whether the screws under the trim at the screen top are sealed. 

24 minutes ago, drdoom said:

Rick,

I suggest you do examine the door seal but also broaden the search to include a look for stress fractures particularly near the door striker and upper/lower body joint. I suspect that water will migrate past the door seal unimpeded if provided a capillary path via cracks in the GRP. Also examine the bulkhead / firewall plywood for rot. I am not confident that the rivets holding the capping rail, nor the B pillar trim over the cabin ventilation aperture will remain watertight in exposure to bad weather. Other points of concern are whether the windscreen seal is sound, and whether the screws under the trim at the screen top are sealed. 

Good shout, there are a couple of cracks in the grp, I'll get those to sorted too!

And I'll check the other areas you've mentioned. Thanks!

Mine was leaking badly through the seal where the windscreen wiper comes through the body. Sparky fixed it and the car is now much better. But I also have a couple of those silica bags (got them from Halfords I think) which I cycle every ten days or so with the one not in use in the immersion heater cupboard drying out. This seems to keep it dry. I used to get condensation on the inside of the windscreen a lot.

34 minutes ago, skiing said:

Mine was leaking badly through the seal where the windscreen wiper comes through the body. Sparky fixed it and the car is now much better. But I also have a couple of those silica bags (got them from Halfords I think) which I cycle every ten days or so with the one not in use in the immersion heater cupboard drying out. This seems to keep it dry. I used to get condensation on the inside of the windscreen a lot.

Brilliant, thanks for the reply, definitely gives me hope of getting it sorted!!

I used an outdoor Carcoon to store my e-type shell in for a couple of years and some of it was bare steel with no paint at all and during its time in the Carcoon it never got any worse. They claim it will even dry out a wet car so it should sort out your problem. The only downsides are the cost at about £600 and the fact that the outer cover will only last about 3 years before you have to replace it at a cost of around £250. 

13 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

I used an outdoor Carcoon to store my e-type shell in for a couple of years and some of it was bare steel with no paint at all and during its time in the Carcoon it never got any worse. They claim it will even dry out a wet car so it should sort out your problem. The only downsides are the cost at about £600 and the fact that the outer cover will only last about 3 years before you have to replace it at a cost of around £250. 

Sounds pretty amazing, I'll look them up, but likely the price will be the deciding factor.

And I would be taking the car in and out of it regularly, so it might be a bit awkward?

23 minutes ago, Rick said:

Sounds pretty amazing, I'll look them up, but likely the price will be the deciding factor.

And I would be taking the car in and out of it regularly, so it might be a bit awkward?

It doesn't take long to get a car in and out really. If it snows they can collapse so you have to brush the snow off but they really do work as they blow dry air over the car which will always lift any moisture off the car and if you leave the windows down slightly it will also dry the interior out whilst it's in there. I currently have 3 cars in storage under cover and each of them is in an inside Carcoon to protect them. They work really well.

Paul's got it right and no other sort of cover will match it for ability to dry. Presuming you have no garage in which to shelter the car the leaking will persist and call into question the decline of your new interior. Tough situation that would be. If you go with some sort of Carcoon do also consider the possible need for at least a simple roof over the end where the fans draw in air. Your car is worth the effort.

15 hours ago, drdoom said:

the end where the fans draw in air

Carcoons have an internal air recirc system, they don't draw in external air when in use. Keeps the damp out :)

They sound great, going to seriously look into it.

But I'll still attempt to stem the leak also

8 hours ago, Bibs said:

Carcoons have an internal air recirc system, they don't draw in external air when in use. Keeps the damp out :)

Sounds alright, though must ask how car can be drying within if moisture is not extracted?

I wonder whether something of the sort can be practically taken on the road? Over the vast expanses of interior North America one may encounter rather savage weather, I'm thinking ruinously massive hailstones, here and there over the course of the seasons. I shudder to think of my ( someday ) freshly resurrected, immaculate Esprit getting hammered overnight in the course of a road trip.

In drying mode, the carcoon simply extracts air from outside and let it pass through the vehicle and out in the back. By ventilating it dries. In storage mode , apparently it circulates air inside.

My experience with an indoor self build carcoon is that it perfectly dries the car within hours by just ventilating from front to back. It works great.

I've had an indoor Carcoon for about 7 years.

Works well and the only maintenance is a new filter every 12 months which costs about £25 or so.

Never felt the need to get one of these things, car is fine garaged as normal. Albeit with an indoor light weight cover on it.

My first Esprit was an outdoor car. It didnt leak after I spent some time investigating where any water could get in.

I found the main culprit was water from the roof running over the sides and above the doors it was getting into the U-shaped channel of the seal where it pushes onto the body. It was then running hidden inside the U channel down to the bottom of the seal then coming out under the seats. 

If the door seals are loose and falling off thats almost certainly the problem, they need to be tightly onto the body and before fitting run some silicone into the U channel before pushing onto the body so there is no gap inside there at all. I think the factory used black silicone in there originally.

About silica gel:  I once spoke to a previous Esprit owner at a car meet and he mentioned he used bags of silica gel in the car even though it was garaged. He found it destroyed the leather as it dried it out so much it all cracked up.

That sounds exactly like my problem!

I think door seals are my prime suspect at the moment!!

Thanks!