free hit
counters
Sound insulation - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Sound insulation

DAIR

Hi All

Currently going through the Exige option list. On a scale of 1 - 10. How loud (10 being really loud) is the ride without sound  insulation?

Would you class this as a must have option?

Thanks

Dan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on use of the car, but I would say it’s not essential especially if a second car.

I spec’d it but there seemed to be a theme of second owners wanting it when I was looking, I.e. non NVH cars stood around longer.

Saying that there were very few non NVH pack cars, so hard to give you a comparator certainly I’ve not seen DB ratings. In both cars you can have a conversation

13 minutes ago, Dan.G said:

I've got it in mine, it was an essential element for me, nothing to do with noise reduction, it's just a nicer place to be with full carpets.

NVH pack (sound insulation) and full carpets are two different options. You can certainly get carpets without sound insulation and vice versa.

Agree the full carpets make it nicer place to be in.

Sound insulation and carpets can both be retrofitted but it costs more than to spec from new

Edited by MrP_

3 minutes ago, Dan.G said:

Ah ok, I thought it was all part of the same 'pack'

In that case, Id definitely want the sound insulation if it's going to be a road car.

Have you tried an Exige without the sound insulation ? 

I couldn’t really tell the difference? I have it in mine but it wasn’t essential. 

To the OP. Try both and go with what you like ?

3 minutes ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

I couldn’t really tell the difference? I have it in mine but it wasn’t essential. 

Agree, change tyres or exhaust will have far bigger effect, or road surface.

I spec’d from new but wouldn’t have let it put me off a used car without it.

13 minutes ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

Its funny you say that. During my test drive I asked the sales manager whether he'd be able to tell whether an Exige had sound insulation. He flat out said "Yes". He went on to that that you'd have trouble hearing your passenger.

I'd like experience a car without it though.

4 minutes ago, DAIR said:

Its funny you say that. During my test drive I asked the sales manager whether he'd be able to tell whether an Exige had sound insulation. He flat out said "Yes". He went on to that that you'd have trouble hearing your passenger.

I'd like experience a car without it though.

There is a noticeable difference, but you can certainly still have a conversation without it

51 minutes ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

As I said mate, I stupidly thought it was all part of the carpet pack and I have driven an exige with and without carpet. Based on that, I'm probably not one to help give advice on this one. All I can say is, they look better with carpets haha.

I agree with the post, if in doubt, spec it

I didn’t have it in my Club Racer V6, had a short test drive in the car beforehand didn’t notice it, so bought the car. Started to notice it shortly after, could live with it, but it was noticeably noisier inside compared to my previous VXR220. However a trip to Germany a few months later in bad weather (so soft top on) really highlighted two issues I had with the car, one of which was cabin noise on longer runs (the other was changing gear but my legs were the problem not the car), so after less than 10 months of ownership I swapped into the Sport 350 that I have now. This car has carpets & sound insulation, as well as being an auto, trip to Switzerland/Italy in the summer proved I’d done the right thing. Makes a huge difference.

14 hours ago, Dan.G said:

All I can say is, they look better with carpets haha

Maybe for you? :rolleyes:

I've asked for a noise-insulation, given it is very light and supposedly makes some minor difference. Intentionally asked for no carpets, as prefer to see the aluminium tub glued together - it is somewhat special. :thumbup:

9 minutes ago, vd9 said:

Maybe for you? :rolleyes:

I've asked for a noise-insulation, given it is very light and supposedly makes some minor difference. Intentionally asked for no carpets, as prefer to see the aluminium tub glued together - it is somewhat special. :thumbup:

Of course, each to their own

I've owned both a 2013 V6 with NVH but not full carpets and a 2015 V6 CR with no NVH but does have mats.

For me there is hardly any difference in terms of road noise. You can hear the engine more in the non NVH car which in fact makes it feel more special.

I managed to have the opportunity to drive an Exige without sound insulation and / or carpets. And to be honest it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I fairly certain it's something I can live without!

5 hours ago, DAIR said:

I managed to have the opportunity to drive an Exige without sound insulation and / or carpets. And to be honest it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I fairly certain it's something I can live without!

What's the cost if you do have them fitted?

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2019 at 11:06, quantum2000 said:

I've owned both a 2013 V6 with NVH but not full carpets and a 2015 V6 CR with no NVH but does have mats.

For me there is hardly any difference in terms of road noise. You can hear the engine more in the non NVH car which in fact makes it feel more special.

Yes - but you also changed your exhaust for the mega 2bular on your CR to make it as noisy as possible - only to have to tone it down again with additional silencers 🙂