free hit
counters
How good with the roof off! - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
rafphillips

How good with the roof off!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think they look great topless

• Like 2

It’s really a great feature of the Elise / Exige platform that the roof is removable. 

I haven’t had mine offf yet, but looking forward to doing so when I take the car out of hibernation in the spring. 

I used to have a S2 111s and loved the topless experience. As Dan stated, they do look great with the roof off. 

Great looking 380 👍

Apart from that big sticker that says you will die if you do! Going to set about taking that off in time for summer.

I dont get why that is there that given the will sell you a roaster kit.

Because it’s unstable above 150 without the roof, so the roadster has the limiter stopping you exploding in a giant fireball at 150.01mph, the coupe gets a sticker.

That was the official line anyway

I’d be surprised if there was any real tunnel time, it’s probably just what they had to put on the form for type approval 

Ah makes sense but seemed fine at well over 90 on a private road with corners.

I won’t test the 150 though .... just yet.

Did the roof go back on ok? Any squeaks?

Yep back on no issues (literally 5 mins work for 1 person) had already greased up due to squeaks and quick drive after to check all is well and fine.

Now tucked up all polished and on trickle charger ready for March 👍🏻

Nice one! That's my only concern.

What grease did you use ?

9 hours ago, MrP_ said:

Because it’s unstable above 150 without the roof, so the roadster has the limiter stopping you exploding in a giant fireball at 150.01mph, the coupe gets a sticker.

To be fair, the limit on the Roadster is to stop the soft top being aerodynamically removed from the car at higher speeds. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

You want some silicone grease for rubber seals mate. Quick Amazon search this came up https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Trade-Direct-Silicone-Lubricate/dp/B00904MO0Q/ref=pd_aw_lpo_263_lp_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V7ER4ZRRCW1SBP240G1V

Any should do I had some left over an old M6 convertible I used it on. Was a couple of quid at time from local motor factors.

I wouldn’t put anything petroleum based on rubber seals as may damage over time.

The roof off experience is why I went for the roadster. The roof will be off at every opportunity. All I need now is the car to be delivered (hopefully imminent).

A bit of technical advice required here..

Other than the aerodynamics being affected, are there any other concerns with taking the roof off? Is the chassis still structurally sound?

I know that may sound extreme but I would imagine there will be some flex without a roof in any car.

I wouldn't want the panel alignments in my hand built car to get worse haha

The car is designed to be roofless as per the Elise so I would be very surprised if the hardtop made any difference to stiffness.

43 minutes ago, Dan.G said:

A bit of technical advice required here..

Other than the aerodynamics being affected, are there any other concerns with taking the roof off? Is the chassis still structurally sound?

I know that may sound extreme but I would imagine there will be some flex without a roof in any car.

I wouldn't want the panel alignments in my hand built car to get worse haha

The roof is a non stressed panel, that does not add stiffness so if you are having panels flexing to change their gaps, there is something else up. Movement is transferred to the roof so it helps to fix contact points with felt tape and cover the seals with PFTE lube.

The tub approach is very different to a monocoque which looses half its strength with the roof beams (not panel) removed, eg a 964 cab

Short version, it’s not an issue otherwise Lotus would make it a warranty voider!

11 hours ago, rafphillips said:

You want some silicone grease for rubber seals mate. Quick Amazon search this came up https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Trade-Direct-Silicone-Lubricate/dp/B00904MO0Q/ref=pd_aw_lpo_263_lp_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V7ER4ZRRCW1SBP240G1V

Any should do I had some left over an old M6 convertible I used it on. Was a couple of quid at time from local motor factors.

I wouldn’t put anything petroleum based on rubber seals as may damage over time.

KY jelly any good,might have some of that

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

On 02/01/2019 at 10:30, MrP_ said:

That was the official line anyway

I’d be surprised if there was any real tunnel time, it’s probably just what they had to put on the form for type approval 

And here I was thinking that 149 was probably fast enough? :P

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

On 02/01/2019 at 17:57, GFWilliams said:

The problem with high speed isn't so much when you have the roof off, but more with the soft top on.  The soft top will lift at about 120mph ish IIRC.

I managed 169mph with the roof off and there was so much wind noise I couldn't hear my 2bular road exhaust!

149mph  GPS'd in my 111R coming back from Stelvio with roof on says it will stay in place. It was the only time we put them on to see how fast we could go on the whole trip!

My V6 hard top came off the day I got home from buying her in April, I love open top motoring from 10 years in my 111R, and it will go back on on the day that I sell it, which won't be for a long time, as she sounds awesome with the roof off.

• Like 1

I must be the only person that doesn't think much of the roof-off experience in the V6. Tried it when I installed my Tillett, it was alright. For me I think it's because it's more of a Targa experience that an out and out convertible. With standard exhaust it was more wind noise than anything else.

1 hour ago, Arun_D said:

only person that doesn't think much of the roof-off experience in the V6

I like it a lot - makes getting in and out quickly and with only minor embarrassment a lot easier! :thumbsup: