free hit
counters
S1 Dash display - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi chaps 

Anyone come across this before? My left hand dash display has a line of missing pixels (as per picture below). Not a big deal but I'd like to get it sorted if possible as it cuts across the text when the car is running.

I'd guess the display needs replacing but not sure if this is simple to do and whether the parts are available? 

Thanks,

Graham 

file-3.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Isn't that just a divider between the top and bottom displays - if not, I would think of it like that and save £££s and hassle!

I presume the binnacle comes as one piece. The screens are separate internally. Motorsports auction were selling some LHD ones off for 200, it says theyve sold out but may be worth an email. Or try and get a used one and swap the bits over.

It is a single item and over £1200 inc VAT! I'd live with the line or follow Gavin's suggestion. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

46 minutes ago, Bibs said:

It is a single item and over £1200 inc VAT! I'd live with the line or follow Gavin's suggestion. 

Wow! I will draw a red line on with felt tip pen in that case 😀

Does anyone know who made them for Lotus? Maybe they can be repaired rather than replaced.

5 hours ago, 21gg said:

I presume the binnacle comes as one piece. The screens are separate internally. Motorsports auction were selling some LHD ones off for 200, it says theyve sold out but may be worth an email. Or try and get a used one and swap the bits over.

Thanks will drop them a mail just in case. 

If buying an LHD binnacle as a direct replacment, make sure it's got an MPH speedometer. Also some have chrome effect surrounds and some are black.

Also mine shows the right door being open, when the left one is and vice-versa... Even the Lotus Silverstone technician couldn't get to the bottom of why.

Personally I would just leave it alone.

On 04/01/2019 at 13:32, paranoidandroid said:

Wow! I will draw a red line on with felt tip pen in that case 😀

Does anyone know who made them for Lotus? Maybe they can be repaired rather than replaced.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they were made by a company called Pektron in Derby?

Yes Phil, Pektron are in Derby.

I had two lines of dead pixels in the opposite display (photo in the Evora niggles/faults thread) that was not doing my OCD any good so I contacted Pektron direct. They told me that for contractural reasons they couldn't repair the instrument pack or sell me a replacement and pointed me in back in the direction of Lotus. In the end Isaved up and had a new one fitted, although back in 2015 it cost me less than a bag of sand.

Somebody else had an issue with one of the digital displays in the instrument pack of their S1 back in August last year.

Pat (Relic222) tried to repair his instrument pack by swapping left and right screen modules, but that fix didn't appear work and I haven't seen an update since.

Maybe there is a repairer out there that could fix the instrument pack, but it depends if a repairer is a) willing to do it and b) is able to source replacement parts, especially if they happen to be Pektron proprietary. If any one does find a repairer it will definitely be worth posting on here. 👍

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

There's one for an s, but kph on eBay £395, may be an option to dismantle and use the screen from?

Thanks for the links/suggestions, appreciate it. I think given the prices quoted, even second hand with no guarantee it would work (and potential kph/mph issues) I’m just going to live with it. If it deteriorates and I get more lines then I may consider it but for the moment I’m going to save the cash. 

As mentioned above if Garw did a digital dash I’d be very tempted at that!

On 15/01/2019 at 21:26, paranoidandroid said:

Thanks for the links/suggestions, appreciate it. I think given the prices quoted, even second hand with no guarantee it would work (and potential kph/mph issues) I’m just going to live with it. If it deteriorates and I get more lines then I may consider it but for the moment I’m going to save the cash. 

As mentioned above if Garw did a digital dash I’d be very tempted at that!

The KPH ones are back at motorsport, possibly worth getting to pinch the screen out of?

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/index.php?a=ap&addon=storefront&page=home&store=710&listing=34563

Gav

• Like 1

There are a lot of dash repair companies in the UK, if things get much worse.

23 minutes ago, EGTE said:

There are a lot of dash repair companies in the UK, if things get much worse.

Do you know of one who deals with these units?  

Hi Bruss,

Sorry not a specific-to-Lotus, no.  Guys have used them on Porsche forums very effectively and cheaply, though.

2 minutes ago, EGTE said:

Hi Bruss,

Sorry not a specific-to-Lotus, no.  Guys have used them on Porsche forums very effectively and cheaply, though.

Thanks, I only ask as I was looking for someone around 2 years ago and back then there was no-one available for these. The manufacturer wouldn't touch them either and referred me back to Lotus who wouldn't do any work on one, only replace it.  It would be good to have someone who would look at then though.

Ah okay. If it happens to me I would ring around after googling. 

Coullstar will remember the B5 RS4 dashes used to go out a lot and there was a great guy who fixed them (improved them, even) for way less than Audi would have charged.

On 12/08/2019 at 18:13, Ledlights said:

Thanks, that’s not too bad a price although doesn’t include VAT. To be honest I don’t really notice the line anymore but if a RHD binnacle comes up at that price I’d probably take the plunge

If it's just the LCD screen that you need, I have the ones out of my car that I'm not using. I had purchased one of those KPH units from Motorsport Auctions in order to disect for my anti-red backlight mod, and ended up swapping the LCD screens over to my cluster since they're matte instead of glossy. But to swap it out  you'd need to remove the gauge cluster and separate the halves. 

It's also possible that the ribbon cable is just slightly misaligned, and is preventing that area from drawing pixels. But that too would require you to remove the cluster and open to inspect.