free hit
counters
GTR versus Exige V6 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lo2zz

GTR versus Exige V6

As per the title had a very interesting drag race the other day..with my other car! 

For a while I've been interested in what the comparative performance is like, and never driven them side by side. This isn't going to be a  comprehensive review of all attributes - just a juvenile side by side pull!

So my Exige is a std V6 with 2bular exhaust, SSC intake and vinyl stripes (worth 10bhp). GTR is an 18 car with Y pipe has about 580 bhp. Ran them both from about 40mph to just under the limiter of most german performance cars

So before I would have said the GTR would absolutely annihilate the Exige over that speed range, but was interested nonetheless to see how much faster. 

I was really surprised how the Exige faired - low weight, aerodynamics obviously play a significant role because there was very little in it. Up to about 110 the Exige is side by side - only after that did my GTR inch away. 

Not scientific by any stretch but given I had never thought of the Exige as a straight line car, I was very positively surprised by how it fairs against what is often considered a giant slayer. 

From a launch up to 150 the GTR would muller the Exige 

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
2 minutes ago, Lo2zz said:

From a launch up to 150 the GTR would muller the Exige 

Not if there was a corner* :lol:

*That's somewhat tongue in cheek, the GTR's handling actually refined by the boffins in Lotus Engineering!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

8 minutes ago, Lo2zz said:

before I would have said the GTR would absolutely annihilate the Exige over that speed range

A lot of this impression is also from the very different power delivery of turbocharged vs supercharged cars. I was a bit surprised to see that an Exige is actually faster than what I thought it to be based on the feeling (I've done a lot of turbocharged cars driving). It also dies out significantly after 110-120mph due to very long 5th and 6th.

16 minutes ago, vd9 said:

A lot of this impression is also from the very different power delivery of turbocharged vs supercharged cars. I was a bit surprised to see that an Exige is actually faster than what I thought it to be based on the feeling (I've done a lot of turbocharged cars driving). It also dies out significantly after 110-120mph due to very long 5th and 6th.

Not all Exiges run out of steam at 110 mph though !!

The main reason the gtr is so quick is the launch control, which is one of the best out there, beyond that it is stil weighing in at nearly 2 tonne which is always going to have an impact.

The exige does have a better power to weight ratio, off the top of my head the gtr has a power to weight of around 240-60pt, where as the exige is 330 ish. I'm sure someone will quote the actually figures.

That will have counted for something.

I looked at gtrs before settling on the exige.. it's an engineering marvel, the launch control is epic, but I just don't see it as a special car, beyond the engine there isn't anything fancy about it. Not only that, the car destroys itself to perform as well as it does, hence servicing, brakes and tyre costs.

If someone gave me the keys I wouldn't say no... but I know which car floats my boat more, regardless of the launch control

Are we talking Nissan, Ultima or Porker here 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Datsun;)

1 hour ago, Dan.G said:

The main reason the gtr is so quick is the launch control, which is one of the best out there, beyond that it is stil weighing in at nearly 2 tonne which is always going to have an impact.

The exige does have a better power to weight ratio, off the top of my head the gtr has a power to weight of around 240-60pt, where as the exige is 330 ish. I'm sure someone will quote the actually figures.

That will have counted for something.

I looked at gtrs before settling on the exige.. it's an engineering marvel, the launch control is epic, but I just don't see it as a special car, beyond the engine there isn't anything fancy about it. Not only that, the car destroys itself to perform as well as it does, hence servicing, brakes and tyre costs.

If someone gave me the keys I wouldn't say no... but I know which car floats my boat more, regardless of the launch control

GTR has literally same PWR - GTR isn't as heavy as people think - 1740kg & 580bhp vs 1100kg & 370 bhp

Little harsh on the GTR - It is a special car, the way it morphs into a smaller car, the gearbox, and the handling for a 4wd is phenomenal. They are really reliable as well - the service pack is £500 for 3 years. If you use them on track they can be expensive on consumables. 

More people gawp and come and ask me about the GTR than the Exige - but I wouldn't say its been the best car I've ever owned.

Fundamentally they are a 10 year old design and still outperform most things from Porsche - the new 19 model is going to move the game on again. 

Apologies, these are the factual figures, and I may have been quoting older models, so apologies for that..

2009 GTR - 274 HP/t

2017 GTR - 324 HP/t

2017 Exige 380 cup - 348 HP/t

2017 Exige 350 sport - 311 HP/t

As I said, I wouldn't complain if given the keys to a GTR, but when testing several different cars before settling with Lotus, the GTR just didn't feel special in comparison to some others, just my opinion. Im assuming its the same for yourself, as a new Lotus is similar money to the GTR and you chose the Lotus, hence the reason for you being on a Lotus forum.

Please don't think I'm taking any thing away from the GTR, its a great car. It just didn't tick every box for me, just my opinion.

I believe there is a video of an exige up the trumpet of a GTR going round the 'ring', the exige forces the GTR make mistakes and is all over the track. You can't turn 1750kgs into a small car.

Just my opinion, I'm sure there will be more

• Like 1

Completely agree wanted to love the GTR and seriously looked at a Litchfield stage 4.25 and hated it (which shocked me).

Brutally quick in the 0-100 sprint but walked away from a drive and went and got an FK8 type R as found it more ‘enjoyable’ on a B road blast with more space for real world kids and stuff.

Can see why people like them though and engineering marvel.

18 minutes ago, rafphillips said:

Completely agree wanted to love the GTR and seriously looked at a Litchfield stage 4.25 and hated it (which shocked me).

Brutally quick in the 0-100 sprint but walked away from a drive and went and got an FK8 type R as found it more ‘enjoyable’ on a B road blast with more space for real world kids and stuff.

Can see why people like them though and engineering marvel.

I was the same mate. I couldn't see myself loving it for long time.

Here a good, fair, video of a 350 sport and a GTR.

Here's a thought, @GFWilliams has your 460 faced a tuned GTR?

IMO trackday “comparison” videos are pointless, so much of it comes down to the driver. Lap times are more telling, although still massively depending on the drivers.  I kept up with a friend in his GT2RS, but there’s no way my car is faster than a GT2RS 😂

If a GT-R can go round Silverstone in less than 2:23.8 then it is faster than me in my car.

Not that I'm a serial dragger. At least not when the misses is watching - but came up against a nice chap in an M140i tonight whilst in the Exige V6. It monstered me! When we got to some lights I enquired why it was so quick - remap and new turbo's but WOW - insanely quick for a FWD hatch. Just where are these FWD hatches going to end up? Serious performance.

6 hours ago, Lo2zz said:

Not that I'm a serial dragger. At least not when the misses is watching - but came up against a nice chap in an M140i tonight whilst in the Exige V6. It monstered me! When we got to some lights I enquired why it was so quick - remap and new turbo's but WOW - insanely quick for a FWD hatch. Just where are these FWD hatches going to end up? Serious performance.

M140i is rwd and if he’s had new turbos he’s likely over 500hp. Gearbox is also brilliant in them, so hard to beat!

• Like 1

The other problem with these road comparisons is that you don’t know exactly when he put his foot down and what gear he was in.

If you are up against a turbo car, you might find he put his foot down a full second before any decent acceleration is achieved - but once all that torque kicks in suddenly it really goes.

The other issue for us is the manual gearbox. If you are up against, for example, a golf R with DSG: a) the shifts will be quicker, and b) there will be a speed benefit with each shift as the engine speed is faster than the drivetrain speed, and when the clutch locks in there is a ‘torque multiplier’ effect.

Very good points on the Auto / DCT box - probably gained half a second each change. It absolutely clobbered me though! I have a Civic Type R as well and that amazes me how quick it is - but this thing was a weapon in a little 1 series shape suit.

Didn't realise you had one GF - have you had a diff put in?

13 hours ago, Lo2zz said:

Drove a M240i few months ago for testing at work. I was astonished by this car ! It really flies and what a balance ! The M2 isn't really faster or better, or you have to move to the M2 Competition. But perf vs money ratio is really spot on for the 40i