free hit
counters
Braking system on Esprit S turbo 1991 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Braking system on Esprit S turbo 1991

Looking for some advise. I’ve completed a complete overhaul of the braking system over the winter and noticed that the car pulls quite severely to the right under braking. Having had all the callipers refurbished and some new brake lines I’m pretty sure that it’s the master cylinder.

I took it to a friend of mine who has a garage and put the car on the brake testing system. It would appear that the  back brakes operate as they should, however the front left has a delayed reaction to the brake pedal (something between 0.5 and 1 second) it does eventually catch up and stop the other wheel,

ideally I would like to keep the car as original as possible as I know there are alternative options available.

Has anyone experienced this before and is it the master cylinder as suspected, can they be repaired or refurbished.

thanks Rick

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I’d be looking firmly at the front left calliper and pipes to it.

lines for the front are separate from the cylinder but are on the same circuit are they not

Only here once

Hi Barry 

I've had new pipes fitted from the master cylinder to both front callipers, they were refurbished at REDS in Worcester.

I was thinking of swapping the pipes over to see if it pulls to the left. 

It would rule out a sticky callipers I guess 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Highly unlikely to be the master cylinder.  I'd be bleeding them again first.

• Like 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

There’s a take off top and bottom of the master. Unless it’s got crap in one of the lines they should both work the same. As sparky says - rebleed.

Front left line goes high - so will need more bleeding if it’s as per the diagram6D28937E-1865-4042-B6A9-E06D1D738C66.thumb.jpeg.a1633e322b4aa2dde3137f499fac346e.jpeg

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

As said, pressure to both front lines is equally applied so most likely an air or fluid leek, other less likely possibilities, sticking piston, contaminated pads on the left or unequal pad to disc contact. Have you replaced the discs?

Hi,

It is time for me to step out from the dark, after being a FFM for some years (too much work/too little time for Lotus passion) and pay back to this great community.

I would suspect your left front brake HOSE have delaminated inner wall material inside, creating a kind of unwanted valve-mechanism (unless you also changed the HOSE).

I had that issue in my (LHD GT3 1997) right rear original brake hose. It also took a while for the brake pad to retract from the brake disc, after releasing the brake pedal.

Cutting the old hose confirmed the situation.

Problem solved after changing to SS-braided new ones :)

40D98D4A-5276-4160-BB05-C5A3C0EB38DD.jpeg

7B7D939B-E721-46BD-965C-3B832D6BFF80.png

• Like 1