free hit
counters
How smooth is your v8 tickover? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
dclare

How smooth is your v8 tickover?

At tickover it has a general shake which  is enough to make the mirrors vibrate. It idoes it evenly enough and is smooth mechanically (if you can have such a thing as a smooth vibration). It's not like something is touching the chassis - not a mechanical vibration, it just feels like a rough 4 cylinder at tickover. 

Its had new engine and gearbox mounts fitted by PNM but no difference.

As a V8 I would have thought tickover would be supersmooth. 

What tickover speed to others run at? Mines around 1000rpm.

Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-plane_crank

The flat-plane crankshaft is a design that is no longer used in most mass production road cars as it carries more vibrations and is inherently much louder than a crossplane crankshaft. However, its inherent higher rev limit means it remains useful in sports and racing cars.

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Tickover is usually a little lower at 900rpm.  Should be nice and smooth and stable.  At the slightly higher tickover rpm, it should definitely not feel rough.  Are you sure that you do not have a vacuum leak somewhere on the plenum?

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Also you might want to check you Idle Control Valve... I just ordered a new one for my 2001 Esprit V8 TT

My v8 improved no end when I reset the ecu with Peter's OBD2 software