free hit
counters
V6S Clutch handle? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
JCERB

V6S Clutch handle?

Hi All,

I currently have the EX370 kit on my Exige, and was wondering if I changed the manifolds/cats to give around 400BHP if it would take its toll on the clutch? Cars on 8K and driven occasionally and not tracked.

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just don't fancy the engine coming out really. Hopefully somebody knows on here.

Hi Joe.

Standard clutch should be fine - plenty of cars out there running standard clutch with that level of power, including EX460s.  Yes it may not last as long, but it's not going to suddenly give up unless there is a pre-existing issue.  Come over and have a go in our 460 demo car 😈

Dave

Hi Dave,

Interesting and good to hear! It's due a service around May and want to bring it to you, so was thinking of manifolds/cats at that time. Don't want to go too far with it and also want to keep the standard silencer. I bet the 460's epic, maybe best I don't as then I'll want that and then it's one big slippery slope from there ha ha.

12 minutes ago, JCERB said:

Hi Dave,

Interesting and good to hear! It's due a service around May and want to bring it to you, so was thinking of manifolds/cats at that time. Don't want to go too far with it and also want to keep the standard silencer. I bet the 460's epic, maybe best I don't as then I'll want that and then it's one big slippery slope from there ha ha.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable plan.  If you ping me an email a bit nearer the time, I can give you accurate prices.   The 460 is merely for demonstrating some of our products... :)

Dave

Will do indeed. I will look forward to it! It will be good to see what you have in when I'm there. By then you'll probably have the EX500 as a demo!

The pressure plate (!) of my clutch is currently broken, a part broke off and it costs around 2.700 to 3.500 euros (!) to fix it (22 hours of work says Lotus). Depends on whom you ask. 🤬

It's a stock Exige, no trackdays or modifications. Out of warranty of course. I now know a handful of Exige V6 owners with broken clutch and it seems Lotus knows about the problem, they use bigger and enforced AP Racing clutches for any Evora and all stronger Exiges. 

So I'm personally not sure if this clutch is a good choice, especially with more power. Don't want to tell you what my mechanic calls it....

It must be preplaced now at Komotoc with the enforced version. Because they "only" need 14 hours for the work 

12 minutes ago, ArthouseCompany said:

The pressure plate (!) of my clutch is currently broken, a part broke off and it costs around 2.700 to 3.500 euros (!) to fix it (22 hours of work says Lotus). Depends on whom you ask. 🤬

It's a stock Exige, no trackdays or modifications. Out of warranty of course. I now know a handful of Exige V6 owners with broken clutch and it seems Lotus knows about the problem, they use bigger and enforced AP Racing clutches for any Evora and all stronger Exiges. 

So I'm personally not sure if this clutch is a good choice, especially with more power. Don't want to tell you what my mechanic calls it....

It must be preplaced now at Komotoc with the enforced version. Because they "only" need 14 hours for the work 

When I was at Komotec about two weeks ago, Alex  told me 4 hrs to take out, 4 hours to put back. Alex also told me he can also open up a box, do for example a main shaft repair, box up, also in 4 hrs. So maybe 14 hrs is pretty good? I’d take that rather than a standard Lotus change. My clutch failed in my V6S after 300 miles, sure it was 40+ hours.

Give them a ring.

cheers

Mark

• Like 2

Yes, I already have a cost estimate from Komo-Tec and date for repair with the enforced clutch.

As this is very unusual for a clutch and the car was serviced every year at Lotus, Lotus now told me they will pay at least for the working hours. But deny it's a known problem.

Edited by ArthouseCompany