free hit
counters
Anyone changed louvre - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

350sport has the black louvred engine cover,which I'm not really keen on.Lets water in,visibility etc.Just wondered if anyone had retro fitted the glass cover from the v6s.would it be a whole new boot or would the glass fit if louvre removed?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I know of people who have gone the other way, the louvered panel is interchangeable with the glass, but a straight swap of the whole tailgate is easy (though requires some paint most likely, depending on the donor)

Certainly doable. Here are the instructions from Lotus, it details the replacement of the glass, but the panel is the same they have told me. My panel is being replaced for a carbon version so I wanted to look into. Sealing the glass will be more critical as you will see any trickles of water from both sides. Any bodyshop would be able to do it, you just need the correct bonding agent for the glass (I'm sure there are others but Lotus listed their standard suppliers, bodyshop will advise but I know auto glass use the same):

Rear Tailgate Glass

Removal:

Preparation

1. Remove the tailgate assembly from the vehicle and position on a suitable work bench 1. ensuring to protect any surfaces of the panel that may come into contact with the bench.

2. Release M5 x 18 Socket button headed screws (10) securing the LH/RH and upper grilles and remove from the tailgate. In order to incur the minimum risk of damage to the composite tailgate panel, the preferred method of cutting the glass adhesive is by the use of a 'cheese' wire. Protect the visual surface of the panel with tape before commencing the cutting operation.

After cutting out the glass, remove the old adhesive from the tailgate panel sufficiently to leave a consistent and flat surface for the new bond.

Fitting:

1. Prime and re-activate the prepared surface of the old adhesive on the tailgate panel with Betawipe 4000 (A082B6355V).

2. If the tailgate panel is new or without adhesive, prime the flange with Betaprime 5404 (red cap) A082B6337V.

3. Apply Betabrade F1 to clean paper towel and wipe bond paths on new glass, remove residue from bond path with dry clean paper. Spray bond path with Betaclean 3300 and clean bond path with paper towel.

Then dry wipe IMMEDIATELY with clean dry paper.

4. Using an applicator, apply Betaprime 5500 with smooth strokes to ensure even coverage along the bond path of the new glass. Leave for 15 MINS MINIMUM before applying adhesive.

t8lfKCZ.jpg

Note: at time of production the tailgate glass is located onto the panel using a bespoke jig fixture to ensure the correct glass positioning/alignment. As this fixture will not be available to the dealernetwork it is recommended to fit the tailgate grilles back into position and align the glass centrally between grilles.

5. On the tailgate panel, apply a continuous bead of Betaseal 1580 adhesive onto the bond path area as shown in yellow on the RH illustration.

i7I6LrG.jpg

6. Using the suction handles, carefully position the glass onto the tailgate panel.

7. Press around the periphery of the glass to compress the adhesive. Carefully examine the integrity of the whole length of the joint, if necessary using a spatula to force extra adhesive into any suspect areas. Wipe off any excess adhesive extruded from the joint, or alternatively, allow the adhesive fully to cure and cut away any excess using a scalpel blade.

As already said if you can find a donor tailgate in the same paint, it's a few bolts, a mate to help you lift clean of the car and back in again and you are done. Plus maybe a bit of alignment.

Just to add you will not have the rear screen heater,  I'm basing that on the service manual documenting the HRS cabling. For all I know they never actually fitted it but believe there should be a button near the gearstick. With the change to the exposed gearshift, this position is now gone.

It may be one of those things that was useless anyway

Didn’t think about  rear screen heater!anyway that’s not really a problem,great info,cheers

I have the glass in my garage still if you want to buy it (make me an offer :P) 

Any windscreen company will be able to change it very easily.

Haha @GFWilliams got to this before me... I also have a spare rear glass window available... mine comes with a free sticker 

I had the glass conversion done on my new Exige 350 Roadster. It improved the rear vision enormously and allowed a view of the engine. No window heating available, but this is not a problem in the Aussie climate.

Just ordered a new Exige 410,  so I will have to live with the lack of rear vision.

Due in March. Can’t wait!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Weiry said:

I had the glass conversion done on my new Exige 350 Roadster. It improved the rear vision enormously and allowed a view of the engine. No window heating available, but this is not a problem in the Aussie climate.

Just ordered a new Exige 410,  so I will have to live with the lack of rear vision.

Due in March. Can’t wait!

Can you not get the conversion done on the 410?

34 minutes ago, Ali tuck said:

Can you not get the conversion done on the 410?

Not sure you’d want to change the 410 lid for the glass panel, most would I’d imagine prefer the carbon shell. You can physically swap them, it just doesn’t make sense and imagine Lotus wouldn’t give you the balance back of not fitting the 3k piece

I’ve never actually used the rear heater on the window ... never had an instance where it was required so those doing this mod won’t be missing out.

We’ll said Paul. My thinking exactly!

On  A recent very wet day at Goodwood,  I actually  needed the rear window demister for the first time, almost forgot it existed. 

Its funny how such a simple thing can feel exotic in an Exige!

Martin S

One physical issue that you may have converting from a “lightweight” tailgate, to glass, might be other changes that Lotus have implemented over time.  

The glass tailgates, due to their weight, were opened and supported by gas-struts - the anchorage points for which have since been deleted from both the composite tailgate frame and the tubular seat-belt anchorage frame stays.

The newer lightweight tailgates have been further “improved” by reverting to the old-fashioned muscle-power to lift the gate - and a “pit prop” arrangement to keep it lifted.

Obviously, this isn’t an issue when swapping a glass window to a louvered panel.

One further observation (from someone that use the Exige year round - in all weather) is that the rear screen heater is an essential with glass.  The engine bay is often a relatively warm, high humidity environment - and when the outside air temperature is lower, mist and condensation will form on the inside of the glass inhibiting rear vision.  This is generally not a concern for warm climates, “garage queens”, or fine day outings, but you may find the screen heater to be much more useful than you might otherwise imagine.

Edited by LotusPilot

1 hour ago, LotusPilot said:

One physical issue that you may have converting from a “lightweight” tailgate, to glass, might be other changes that Lotus have implemented over time.  

The glass tailgates, due to their weight, were opened and supported by gas-struts - the anchorage points for which have since been deleted from both the composite tailgate frame and the tubular seat-belt anchorage frame stays.

The newer lightweight tailgates have been further “improved” by reverting to the old-fashioned muscle-power to lift the gate - and a “pit prop” arrangement to keep it lifted.

Obviously, this isn’t an issue when swapping a glass window to a louvered panel.

One further observation (from someone that use the Exige year round - in all weather) is that the rear screen heater is an essential with glass.  The engine bay is often a relatively warm, high humidity environment - and when the outside air temperature is lower, mist and condensation will form on the inside of the glass inhibiting rear vision.  This is generally not a concern for warm climates, “garage queens”, or fine day outings, but you may find the screen heater to be much more useful than you might otherwise imagine.

Louvred tailgate retains gas struts. The 410/430 boot moves to the prop due to light weight making the opening with gas struts a little punchy due to lack of resistance!