free hit
counters
Gearbox backplate thread size - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
peteyg

Gearbox backplate thread size

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the thread size of the 2 bottom bolts that hold the backplate and silencer mount on the back of the 'box? Trying to fix a leak and some monkey has screwed up the threads on the bolts as well as the holes. Need to tap and possibly helicoil. Maybe the legendary @dsvitesse1 will know off the top of his head?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Pete, I'm probably not going to be overly helpful here, but I recall they're slightly larger than all the others?  An M6 will rattle around in there so it's possible they're not damaged...

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Aluminum back cover is 7mm with an exception for the bolt securing the speedo drive.   Nuts are 10mm securing silencer mounting to gearbox mounting

8 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

Aluminum back cover is 7mm with an exception for the bolt securing the speedo drive.   Nuts are 10mm securing silencer mounting to gearbox mounting

Hi, correct all M7 except the speedo securing bolt that is M9. For these 2 mentioned you can make it M8. No problem. M7 helicoil is very, very hard to find.

cheers,

Harry

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

Thank you all. I'll see if I can tap out with M7, if not go to M8 and helicoil. Do you know if the pitch is 1.00 or 1.25?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Pete,

I am not sure, but may be Harry says, if M7 thread is screwed, you can try , without using a helicoil, drill 6.8mm and tap to M8 and use M8 bolts?

furthermore :  standard  Metric coarse thread size M7 is pitch 1mm, but M8 is pitch 1.25mm

of course you could start using fine thread sizes. then M8x1

Geert

Edited by gvy
  • Like 2

Good call @gvy that would save having to get the helicoil. I'll try this first. I think the main problem has been people's attempts to seal the back plate and nasty gunk has accumulated in the bolt hole. Below is what I dug out of each hole, a mixture of silicone and various other sealants:

39790053893_826eb9f1b4_c.jpg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009