free hit
counters
Lotus Type 116 - Page 2 - VX220 - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Type 116

C8RKH

• Gold FFM

Trying my best to keep this topic going, as I know a few on here came from VX220's, love VX220's, and still, like me, have a VX220.

As many of you will know the light switches on a VX220 are now getting really hard to find and many are starting to fail after 20 years of dust, dirt etc. As a result I decided to jump in and get the new switches and switch panel that has been developed by Type 116 Motorsport, one of the newer companies that has sprung up recently to support VX220 owners.

The ew switches have given me the drive to do my first ever piece of retrimming, as I have decided to brighten up my interior through the addition of some red leather. So, here's the before and after results, and I cannot recommend highly enough the quality of the product from Type 116 Motorsport.

As I progress with the retrim, more pictures will follow.

image.thumb.png.84563c9f7b25c6381fa4ba47d83c9faa.png

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

The only other "buttons" on the car are round (starting button and button for the trip counter). Also the heater buttons are circular too. So actually I do believe that Lotus compromised the design language of the originals (under the direction of Vauxhall I am sure) which used bargain bin square button parts from the Vauxhall Cavalier at the time.

The lights all illuminate when they are "on" so your info there is not correct I am afraid.  You also get the "clicking noise" and flashing of the switch when the hazards are on. Also correct functionality re sequence for fog lights with headlights etc. Basically, 100% original functionality and workings. Picture below taken from the "test" video from the manufacturer.

image.thumb.png.abe7e2c9a5adddeb90536368e6aa3539.png

If they're not for you then that that's fine, but with replacements for the originals very hard to find, good luck! 

Right now, my "original" switches are all in the box, cleaned with contact cleaner, safe for the future and at any time when these cars rocket in value (lol). The individual switches currently go for around £30 each IF you can find them, so in a few years, with 5 of them, I'll get £500 lol and so a nice weekend away for me and the wife :)

My car is not standard Don. It is supercharged. It has a removable steering wheel, harnesses, a digital screen to replace the original instruments , turbo ears and lots more changes to original spec etc. I'm not bothered about keeping it standard but do want to keep it on the road and track because it is such a blast and great fun. It'll never be a future classic and to be honest, looking at the prices paid for some classic cars (e.g. 1980's hot hatches) there are some fools being very easily parted with their hard earned cash, in my very humble opinion.

So for me, these switches are more in keeping with my car. I do know that Chris from Type116 Motorsports has been struggling with manufacturing these due to the demand which has far exceeded his expectations. So many owners seem to agree.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

No offence intended. If you like it => bingo

concerning the stock features... i mean the stock switches have 3 conditions:

1 all out

2 switch background illuminated with lights on

3 switch complete illuminated when engaged

point 2 is missing right? 

Edited by Don.Hasi

• Gold FFM

No offence taken Don - each to their own ;)

Mine don't Don - they are either lit (if switch is on) or dark (if switch is not on). There is no background illumination on my car for when they are off.

• 2 weeks later...

No - at least not yet Steve. I was watching the Esprit rebuild on Soup the other night and he mentioned this site so I thought I would take peak. I didn't realise you had gone V6 though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

No - at least not yet Steve. I was watching the Esprit rebuild on Soup the other night and he mentioned this site so I thought I would take peak. I didn't realise you had gone V6 though!

I’m on my second V6! After keeping the VXR220 for over 12 years with no thoughts of changing it, I bought a yellow Exige V6. Within a year I’d swapped for the car I’ve got now, much happier now & have owned this one for 3 years next month

On 05/02/2021 at 19:47, 2GOOD said:

I’m on my second V6! After keeping the VXR220 for over 12 years with no thoughts of changing it, I bought a yellow Exige V6. Within a year I’d swapped for the car I’ve got now, much happier now & have owned this one for 3 years next month

👍 Good stuff - you'll have to give me a ride up Frocester Hill once this lockdown malarkey has finished!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

So, ultimately was not happy with my DIY retrim on the VX220, and as she is a great fun car to drive on road and track, I have decided to treat her to a proper retrim.  Here's the first teaser of the headrest sample!  Gosh, if I say so myself it is going to look the dogs bahoona's...

I'm proud of the fact it was built in Hethel by Lotus (it's a shame the company is such a dick about it to be honest) and not enough of a badge snob to hate the Vauxhall Griffin. It's the second oldest car brand in the world, being founded, iirc in 1857 by a Scottish Engineer in London (if Scotland is so great why does all her best people leave for London and beyond? - an interesting topic for discussion for sure) and with a fine and strong domestic racing heritage. OK, so the brand is what it is now, but hey, who the fook likes a jumped up brand cock anyway? 

The same leather hide used can also be found today, in Bentleys, Aston Martins and RR's. So is not too shabby and worthy of a plastic Lego car.

No description available.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Don.Hasi said:

sounds like you had some weird experiences first hand?

Nope. Basically Lotus management don't want to acknowledge that the VX220 was built by them and want nothing to do with it, ergo, it was specifically banned from the Lotus 70th celebrations for instance. The fact that the cash from it/support from GM at the time probably kept the business alive and stopped it failing (we certainly would not have had the Elise S2 without it) seems to mean nothing to them at all.

As you can see from my proud Griffin logo's I have no issue with it having a Vauxhall badge, but do thyink Lotus attitude to it is similar to someone who is just being a dick for the sake of it.  But that is just my own honest and open view. others will have a different view of course.

• Like 2

The rules for clubs at the 70th (which I was in charge of pulling together) was that it had to have a Lotus badge on the bonnet, that was Lotus's decision at the time. They didn't invite Tesla Roadsters either but Lotus Carltons and Lotus Sunbeams were very welcome. 

That said, personally I've always been very inclusive of .org at the Lotus Festival, they've always put on a great show with some lovely examples and when I get that back up and running they'll be invited again. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Bibs said:

personally I've always been very inclusive of .org at the Lotus Festival

Nothing aimed at you @Bibs, just the one or two pedants at Lotus who wish to deny their bastard child. :)

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Pedant time. No Carlton/Omega ever left Hethel with a Lotus badge on the bonnet. Boot lid and front wings yes, but the bonnet badges were either Vauxhall or Opel.

But many I think chose to change the badge later. I do not know if you are right @LotusLeftLotusRight but if so it just proves my point.  But hey, I love my Vauxhall all the same :)

Lotus - Lotus Omega/Carlton, the forgotten record breaker. #BlogPost - Blog

File:Lotus Omega Nr.460 (vorne).JPG

To be fair sadly there as been a lot of VX owners that’s  been ashamed of Vauxhall Griffin Emblem, you do see a lot debadged. Never once bothered me in my ownership, always thought it looked good. The one thing that did bother me was Vauxhall’s after sales service, I had some bad experiences with lotus aftercare over the years, but it never got close to being as bad what Vauxhall offered or in most cases did not offer.

F45CF17C-EF02-4F07-995D-B44B981DE354.jpeg

• Like 1

Probably off topic, in latest edition (September/October) of Absolute Lotus a quick VX for sale 

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

• 5 weeks later...