free hit
counters
Lotus Type 116 - Page 3 - VX220 - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Type 116

C8RKH

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 30/07/2021 at 15:42, C8RKH said:

Nope. Basically Lotus management don't want to acknowledge that the VX220 was built by them and want nothing to do with it, ergo, it was specifically banned from the Lotus 70th celebrations for instance. The fact that the cash from it/support from GM at the time probably kept the business alive and stopped it failing (we certainly would not have had the Elise S2 without it) seems to mean nothing to them at all.

As you can see from my proud Griffin logo's I have no issue with it having a Vauxhall badge, but do thyink Lotus attitude to it is similar to someone who is just being a dick for the sake of it.  But that is just my own honest and open view. others will have a different view of course.

Just to put a different spin on this, I was a vx220 salesman at a Vauxhall dealership, I wasn’t involved with the original launch in late 2000 but got involved in late 2001, it started off with just two of us, me on sales & a mechanic with a motorsport background. We received extensive training including driving training, this was all handled by Vauxhall, mainly at Luton. We had no contact with Lotus whatsoever, obviously we knew that the car was built at Hethel & has an H in the chassis number to signify this but that’s as far as it went. As I understood it my two points of contact at Luton, spoke to someone at Opel/GM Europe in Germany who then spoke to Hethel. Later on when the VXR version was launched, we had another point of contact who I believe did speak directly to Lotus but as he’s on here, that’s for him to confirm.

Basically we didn’t consider for a moment that we were selling a Lotus product, just something that they were sub contracted to build. I had little time for anyone that came into the showroom to be funny about the product because it wasn’t really a Lotus (Elise owners) but took a fwd Elan & a Rover engined Elise S2 in in part exchange

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Great info @2GOOD. My comments in particular are about how Lotus seems happy to have the association with the Carlton, Sunbeam, cortina et al but the VX is totally excluded - ie at the 70th anniversary all the aforementioned were welcomed, the VX was specifically banned!

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Yeah. I think the fact it was better than the Elise really irked Lotus!

• Haha 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

9 hours ago, C8RKH said:

he VX was specifically banned!

Not banned per se, the club just wasn't invited. I did object at the time but it was their ball and their game on the whole, I just helped. 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
17 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Not banned per se

Not just the club @Bibs. I was "informed" that any VX that turned up would not be allowed entry.  Personally, whilst it irks a tad as a Lotus and a VX owner the only thing that pisses we off is the "double standards" of letting in Cortina's, Sunbeams, Carlton's etc but NOT VX's. Just seems and seemed incredibly petty on Lotus part to be honest. However, let's not derail the topic i guess.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Not sure they sold that many though did they?

It will probably surprise you to know that approximately 9165 VX220/Speedster's were made and sold for GM!  The original commission for Lotus was to build 10,000 - so surprisingly, a bloody successful car for Lotus!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

approximately 9165 VX220/Speedster's 

no, it was just a mere of 7200ish... wiki says 7207. We had collected the build numbers and have somewhere a good VIN-list of them all. So even more rare ;)