free hit
counters
Fire suppression system - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fire suppression system

hspeck

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
6 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Looks like a good idea. Which suppressant have you got in yours?

According to the website

"The BlazeCut system uses HFC-227ea or HFC-236fa, which is an extremely effective, clean and people-safe extinguishing medium." 

Although I have no idea what that is... 

• 1 year later...

Ive seen some good reports about this online recently and a Facebook post where it saved a S3 esprit which caught fire. I like the idea of installing on the underside of the engine cover as discrete. 
I think I will put this in the JPS 👍🏻
Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

I installed something similar to this on my Exige because you cannot see a fire behind you. I purchased mine from www.ProtengUSA.com but I believe that they started in the EU.

Later,
Eldon

Seems like a good idea and the videos of it in action are compelling.

But one of the main causes of engine fire in our cars is fuel dropping into hot or live components. This will put out a fire but if the fuel leak and heat is not removed won't it just reignite? I accept it would probably give you time to get out and that itself must be worth a couple of hundred quid but it's really like it to save my car too!

A system linked to the power would help ie cuts the power to the pump and other ancillary components as it discharges. 

Perhaps I'm over thinking it?

Also, it activates at 110 degs C apparently. That doesn't seem that hot..

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, slewthy said:

Also, it activates at 110 degs C apparently. That doesn't seem that hot..

We were discussing this today, and wondered at what temps it was triggered - I'd agree, not very hot, although no real idea of the temp under the engine bay cover.

With the system that I use, I have had no problems. The car has been on track on days where the outside temp was over 35 degs C. The neat thing I liked about this system, if you watch the videos, is that the tube will rupture where the flame is. Thus when rapped around the engine bay, it is going to apply the retardant where the fire is. I have also seen a demonstration in person. If this system does go off, you are going to hear it.

Later,
Eldon

• Like 1

That's interesting. I suppose since there are no residues, the only loss is the unit itself. 

In my head it's becoming a no brainer...

How do you connect the tube? Would I have to drill the engine cover?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I’ve order one for my JPS, the engine bay temps are fine as someone on FB tested it with an infra red monitor after thrashing the car. The engine cover is ideal as nicely hidden as well.

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Here are a couple of pics of the Proteng system mounted in my S260. It is the "Gray" hose that is running behind the IC and down the rear roll bar supports.

Later,
Eldon

20191210_092550.jpg

20191210_092530.jpg

20191210_092510.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, slewthy said:

Did you drill the engine cover for the ties?

Yes, it’s unavoidable. I kept it to 2 small holes only for the one cable tie in the upper centre of the photo. The other ties are using the grill mesh as an anchoring base. The tube isn’t heavy so that makes it a little easier. Bend radius is an issue however. Most installs go around the fringe of the cover. I wanted mine to centre over the carbs so the current setup is the best compromise I could come up with. 

Ad initium

On 13/09/2020 at 10:35, slewthy said:

I accept it would probably give you time to get out and that itself must be worth a couple of hundred quid but it's really like it to save my car too!

Nail on the head! A fire suppression system (suppress not extinguish) is exactly that. It will give you extra seconds to get out the car. If by some miracle it puts the fire out great but you should not be looking at it from that angle. 

They are a  mandatory item if you go Racing. This is not implemented to save the car, it is to save or give more time to a driver to escape.