Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gearshift - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gearshift

RS blu

ย 

I would like to disassemble my gearshift. Do you think it's a difficult job?I would like to replace all the bushes and rubbers.I saw that I have to remove the tunnel, two screws behind the radio and a screw behind the gearshift lever. Then I have to loosen the four screws of the instrument binnacle.๐Ÿ™‚ Until here everything is ok but after how will it be?๐Ÿ™„

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

its been 10 yrs since I did that job so don't remember much.ย  Pretty sure I searched this forum then and got some tips.ย  Maybe this pic from then will help.ย  While you are in there, check the HVAC plungers.ย  Mine had been pushed a bit out of their retaining brackets;ย  I had to glue them back into proper position so the cams would fully actuate them again.

1844526844_console1.JPG.7c47ebb173eac66b56fcf26e11131e4c.JPG

vent 1.JPG

vent 3.JPG

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Roberto, it's not a difficult job. The interior is easy to remove. Then just work methodically and check each joint after replacing to make sure you have a good fit and no play. While in there, you'll probably want to replace the rubber seal around the gearstick as well.

A properly adjusted shift mechanism with little or no play is a joy to use and well worth the effort!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

ย 

No, you can do the front with the rears connected. Would be a good idea to check the rear mechanism as well, and rebuild if needed.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

ย 

ok Filip good news. I think it is better for me to do one thing at a time.I am not a mechanic, so I have to try not to do damage.

I believe that the rear linkage is ok.The gearshift was not bad, but during this last year the car was often driven by the mechanic, and now I do not feel the gear lever like it before.

I have had a sailboat for a long time, a Lotus is like it, always a lot of work, a lot of things to learn and a lot of time and money spent ... but it's always a pleasure like a sailboat๐Ÿค—

thanks ciao Roberto

you can do it without disconnecting the rear but it is much easier if you unbolt the rod end joints and cable clamps at the rear so that you can pull the cables out of the hole at the shift lever to connect them to the lever's new bushings.ย  I fought it for an hour before disconnecting the rear.ย  Then it was literally 2 minutes to reconnect cables to gearshift.ย  If you do disconnect the rear, be sure to mark which cable goes where.

I used a Jeep CJ gater boot to replace the old Lotus unit.

You are a sailor too?ย  Just sold my Hunter 260, preparing to buy a 2014 Oceanis 38!ย  yeah the work is never done

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

big tip jeep gaiter.I used a very soft driveshaft boot, I turned the lip under the clamp and fixed with screws.it works well but when the weather is very cold, near the zero degrees, it is a bit too hard.

The oceanis is a great boat and also fast. I sold my old Dehler optima 92 Van de Stadt designย  and I would like a Dehler 35 S.V., but for now I am still without a boat. I hope to be able to buy another one

• 1 month later...

I finished the job.๐Ÿ˜ƒ It was not difficult, but a bit 'long.๐Ÿ˜ฎI had to remove the cables from the tail of the gearbox, impossible without detaching them and I had to drill two holes on the fiberglass to remove the screws holding the support plate of the rubber gaiter.
The old rubber of the leverages were not bad, but the leverages bolt had come loose and so the lever was moving too much, now I've put everything new and the gearbox is perfect.
Chris I did not find a jeep shifter so I used soft driveshaft boot.
thanks guys, without your help it would have been more difficult๐Ÿ˜€

IMG_20190221_100502.jpg

IMG_20190221_103833.jpg