free hit
counters
Geometry reset - how often? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Geometry reset - how often?

So I found the Elise/Exige had its geometry knocked out fairly easily, and it used to benefit from "regular" tweaks....put it down to potholes and crappy british roads I guess.

Is this the same for the Evora? I'm on 50k mies (almost) and a geo was done about 4 years/20k ago (off the top of my head) and wasn't sure if it was one of those things to add to the regular 'to do' list? I assume everyone keeps to the standard factory setup for non-trackday daily use?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Whilst researching pre-purchase, I did come across some recommendations to get the geometry checked annually.  Some recommendations were for the bushes to be regreased at the same time.  All quite easily done as a servicing bundle once a year I suppose.

If you track yours, I would say have it checked out.  There are quite a few geo setups on here that I've come across, some people are running the 400 setup on their S1 with good results I believe...

• 3 years later...

My car going to central lotus next week for a service I think I opted for A service just mainly as struggle this month with high living costs etc

however I am thinking I need to look at geometry but not sure ? The car drives ok and it doesn’t seem to wander and my tyres look to wear evenly but in my 5 years I never had it checked ? 
I had the bushes changed about 4 years ago and seem ok still 

33 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

The car drives ok and it doesn’t seem to wander and my tyres look to wear evenly

You've pretty much answered your own question there Clive. :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Of course you can but if the car is fine there's not much chance of anything being out. That said, you could just be used to it how it is and a geo might make the car feeling much better than it does now, you pay your money and take your chances. Make sure if you do have it done that they use a Hunter machine, they're the gold standard and it'll have Evora settings programmed into it already, the factory use them. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Can only agree with the folks above.   Sure if you are Lewis Hamilton and need to extract every ounce of performance from the car get it checked by all means.

But usually if car is tracking straight under acceleration and braking, everything feels fine and symmetrical in the corners and the tyres are wearing evenly (maybe slight bias to inside edge as its sports car).  Then that points to everything being OK.

I had mine checked and corrected soon after I got my 430 as it did not feel right, the figures were well in the red and now it feels much better. In the time I had my previous Evora never felt the need.

Some places with Hunter machines will set the car up and check the geometry for a fixed price eg £50, and then charge an additional fee for each adjustment.  May be worth phoning around to see if you have anywhere like that near you as it gives peace of mind with minimal outlay.

If you are anywhere near Bucks I have used Black Boots in Chesham.

• Gold FFM

Having a machine is not much use if the person using it is a plum.

Speaking of plumbs the string method will do you just fine, if you are going to get it done just go to a reputable place (preferably with race experience) and don't worry about what they are using to do it. If they are good, they will do a good job.

Either way, I agree, if it feels fine, it's probably fine. The dampers will likely start to get long in the tooth in another 20k miles or so, so just wait until you need a suspension refresh.