free hit
counters
Garage heating - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Garage heating

Dan.G

I am looking at garage heating options, do people still do this or is it old fashioned? Particularly for modern cars with modern materials? Ie, lotus which is made of Aluminium. I have often found that when I open my garage, that is when I see condensation, so one can assume it has a nice atmosphere in there.

What would people recommend in terms of a plug in heat source? Hot air blower or electric radiator?

I want something that will be warm enough but won't cost the earth to run.

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I’ve always had an oil filled radiator in mine. That, or a ceramic heater are the two cheapest to run. Fan heaters and convection heaters are more expensive to run.

If you have condensation in there, I’m sure the steel parts of the car will rust. I had a chrome wrench in my garage before I started heating it, which turned rusty,  just from condensation.

I've just ordered a ceramic heater from amazon, £23 includes free delivery. It’s very small and with a built in plug. I just want to keep the chill out of the air in my garage. A colleague has one and it costs about 1.5p per hour to run.

Hope this helps.

Ps. I also tried a dehumidifier, but once the water collector is full, it no longer sucks the moisture out of the air. 

42 minutes ago, Royal said:

I’ve always had an oil filled radiator in mine. That, or a ceramic heater are the two cheapest to run. Fan heaters and convection heaters are more expensive to run.

If you have condensation in there, I’m sure the steel parts of the car will rust. I had a chrome wrench in my garage before I started heating it, which turned rusty,  just from condensation.

I've just ordered a ceramic heater from amazon, £23 includes free delivery. It’s very small and with a built in plug. I just want to keep the chill out of the air in my garage. A colleague has one and it costs about 1.5p per hour to run.

Hope this helps.

Ps. I also tried a dehumidifier, but once the water collector is full, it no longer sucks the moisture out of the air. 

This looks like it could suit my needs.

I must say, I've never noticed any tools particularly rusting in there, other than a hammer but I don't think that is down to moisture.

Screenshot_20190206-193840_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I built a garage some years ago in support of restoring the Esprit, making it well suited to the effort with substantial insulation, an oil filled electric heater and, most importantly, a dehumidifier. Climate here in Vancouver is rather like the UK, generally humid, and cars may well be dripping wet upon return from a drive. Spinney is right to state the need for a dehumidifier, on occasions during which mine was offline it was clear that corrosion proceeded quickly, exacerbated by the heater. I installed my d/h on a shelf above the car, and used a clear, PVC drain hose down and out through the wall rather than be on task for the very frequent emptying of the onboard tank. Warm clothes and footwear complete the campaign for comfortable working during chilly spells like those we've had lately.

Cheers

I’ve  always had an oil filled radiator in mine. That, or a ceramic heater are the two cheapest to run. Fan heaters and convection heaters are more expensive to run.

Hope this helps.

Qooker Fan Heater, Ceramic Electric Space Heater With 400W/650W Power Setting, 2 Seconds Heat-up, Tip-over and Over-heat Protection, Portable Heater for Home, Office, Indoor Use - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MTX6P4P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_il1wCbPQV0S4P

• Gold FFM

@Dan.G that's a 2kw heater. So about 26pence per hour to run, £6.24 per day and £43.50 per week approx. Makes the purchase price look really insignificant doesn't it.

I have four oil filled cylinder heaters, like the ones for greenhouses.  2 meters long each and they cost about 8p per hour each to run and maintain the garage at an even temp in the cold.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I should have added that a permanent drain from the dehumidifier is the best idea. That's what I had on mine when my previous garage was a detached one although I did run that into a 25 litre plastic container which then had a separate overflow at the top, going to outside. It also had a tap at the bottom so my wife could draw off the distilled water for her steam iron.😄

Also useful for providing the final rinse water when washing the car as it doesn't leave any smears. I'd like to say I drew my inspiration from Colin Chapman himself who always liked to have one component doing more than just one job - but I'm not that clever!:)

• Like 1

Your choice really and it depends on just how damp your garage is, but as I've already said, I would go with the dehumidifier and a permanent drain to outside. It will definitely keep the killer damp away from the parts that corrode. I think a heater would need to have a decent output to make any significant difference and, therefore, will be costly to run. A dehumidifier will be much cheaper to run.

In terms of running costs, think of the d/h as simply a refrigerator which, in essence, is what it is. They are much cheaper to run than an electric heater and will remove moisture in the air, generally, below the dew point thus preventing condensation on cold metal components. 

Dehumidifier would be my choice. Make sure you get a dessicant rather than compressor one, they're better in every respect and work to low temps. Most have provision for a drain tube so route this somewhere useful. Mine has a built in hydrometer which means it's only on when required too. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Bibs said:

Mine has a built in hydrometer which means it's only on when required too.

I have an inbuilt hydrometer and it mostly always says I need to drink more - wine/beer/spirits etc. It's obviously working properly then.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I have an inbuilt hydrometer and it mostly always says I need to drink more - wine/beer/spirits etc. It's obviously working properly then.

Do you need a permanently fixed drain tube as well. 😁

• Haha 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

If you do decide to go down the dehumidifier route - This thread  may be of use mate. Very pleased I did it.

Link to what I purchased is now broken - I bought This one - including a wall bracket.

Edited by mik

6 hours ago, Dan.G said:

After some tests, I have a high humidity level. Needless to say, money is flying out the window to fix it!

😥

That is very worrying. Humidity will rust any steel on the car quickly. It also can’t be great for the paint work I would have thought. 

I would tackle the problem properly and look to insulate the garage than faff about with dehumidifiers etc. 

So, my day...

Floor is now insulated and the garage is heated.

Gave the car a proper inspection, no signs of oxidation or rust. Took her out for a spin, the discs & pads were not binding and she drove faultlessly to the point where I was giggling like a little girl.

The temperature in the garage is rising nicely but the humidity is still at 60%. This figure has been slowly coming down all day. With the doors open it was sat at 70%.

Is there a possibility that the gauge is reading the local atmosphere and not specifically damp in the garage?

With a heater in there now, the risk of condensation should reduce?