free hit
counters
Alternator going out again? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
soldave

Alternator going out again?

I have the uprated 65amp ebay special fitted to my eclat .No problems after 2 yrs service

• Like 1

A Burgess

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Right, it's awards time! If you said that it was the alternator that was bad then you win... the prize that money can't buy: a virtual high five from me! Picked up the alternator today and the shop said that pretty much everything inside had burned out, and that it was impressive it was giving out anything at all!

If you said it was a bad earth then you win...this! Yeah it's good enough and probably a bad earth or positive was put forward by the alternator shop as the cause of frying the internals. We've already seen the ground wire on the driver's side of the engine which is not exactly in pristine condition.

If you said that I was just lousy at car mechanics you win... the honorary KBG Agent award for being harsh, but fair! I don't like car electrics and generally they don't like me. We just have that kind of relationship but it's something I do need to get better at.

And that concludes the award ceremony so we'll go back to seriousness. I've got a new 345 amp rated earthing cable coming in early next week so that's going to replace that ground cable, and the alternator's ready to bolt back on. Once that's all done we can get the engine fired up again and see how our voltages are looking. I would love to give the car a full rewire at some point, but I doubt it would be cheap and I most certainly don't have the skills to do it!

• Like 2

Bit of an update and a related question for you. Before I got the car back together I decided to do a couple of tests on the voltmeter (or what the factory manual likes to call the "battery condition indicator"!) in the car itself. The gauge seems to be reading pretty much fine; tested it across the battery and it was just under 13V. Used a multimeter on the gauge terminals in the dash and was getting about 1V less than that. Looked in the factory manual but can't really tell where the green wire that goes into the meter is coming from. Can anyone else take a look and let me know what they think? If I can work out what that circle in the diagram that the 2 green wires and the white/slate wires go into then I'll be able to find out if it's the output from that or the wire where I have an issue. I like to think I can read wiring diagrams in a reasonable manner (about the only thing I can do reasonably when it comes to electrics!), but not sure about this component.

Any ideas?

Capture.JPG.cf906fe703982ef2ec52513b99c86380.JPG

That unlabelled thing is the tacho, with wire coming in from above from coil, they are not joined. It is fed 12V from voltage stabiliser, which is fed from ignition switch....

Voltage stabiliser is located on back of speedo, well it was on my 76 Elite.

That particular wiring diagram is crap, there are others which are clearer/different(but do have tacho labelled) and have the 12V feed to volt gauge from tacho, so depends on what day of the week your car was built I guess, but that narrows it down.

• Like 1

Dave,

The thin wire goes to the ignition light on the dash, comes on when you turn on the ignition,  the -ve  path to earth for the bulb is via the alternator windings, when the engine starts and voltage is being generated, the alternator voltage effectively puts positive voltage across both sides of the bulb and it goes out.

You definitely have an earth issue at the rear of the car. I would also check the -ve strap that runs from the battery to the chassis, take it off and clean up both connections the chassis is the main earth path for every thing on the car.

Keep every one updated, hope all goes well and you solve the issue.

John