free hit
counters
Team Lotus Race Report Cards (1990s) - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
neilwhitedesign

Team Lotus Race Report Cards (1990s)

Hello

While carrying out research for my book on Team Lotus covering the 1983-1994 period, I was very kindly sent scans of some team promotional printed material which included race report cards from the 1990 and 1991 seasons (please see examples below):

1990race09Germany3.thumb.jpg.71fd8a2f8f93c3df9d70add2b6cb4f3d.jpg  1991RaceReport06Mexico.thumb.jpg.182ace0098029e8bf8b4d0dc35f1f066.jpg

I was wondering if anyone knew if these were produced right through to 1994, as they provide far more detailed information about the race weekends (from a Team Lotus perspective) than the comparable issue of Autosport or Motorsport magazine.

Thanks

Neil White

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Neil,

Sorry I have only just picked up on this topic. Yes, 1991 was the last year these race report cards were produced. Race reports of a similar style were published in the Club Team Lotus monthly newsletter/magazine, called 'Lotus World', which included news from Team Lotus and Lotus Cars. In early 1990, Lotus Cars withdrew funding for the magazine and 'Lotus World' ceased. However Team Lotus continued to publish the race reports in the race card format, for club members, now known as Team Lotus Associates. Obviously 1991 was a financially difficult year for the team and there were delays in producing the final set of race cards, which weren't sent out to members until mid 1992. So the team decided not to continue with the supporters club for 1992.
Anyway to get to the point, I still have all my copies of Lotus World from 1982 -1990 and the race cards from 1990-1991. So if there are any that you are missing, I am happy to scan the race reports and send to you, providing it is not considered breach of copyright. If so, then I am sure Classic Team Lotus could help, I think they have these publications in their archive, I've seen them reproduced in books such as 'Ayrton Senna The Team Lotus Years' and 'Remembering Elio', by Cotterie Press.
I always found Team Lotus to be helpful, as a youngster I wrote a couple of letters, addressed to Colin Chapman, of course, asking for information and I always received a reply. On one occasion I had asked about F1 car design, in particular ground effect and someone had gone to the trouble of photo copying some information. It was sent with a typed letter on JPS headed paper, which also invited me to join Club Team Lotus, which by chance was just being formed. I was late sending off the application form, so I missed the first issue of Lotus World. I was lucky enough to meet Clive Chapman on a tour of Classic Team Lotus, a couple of years ago and he seems a genuinely nice man. So if your producing a book, I am sure that they would show an interest.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for providing clarification, it's good to know I'm not missing out on anything.

Thanks to fellow forum member Mark Blanchard, I currently own all but a handful of issues of 'Lotus World', and was very kindly sent scans of the Team Lotus related info from the issues I don't have, so I believe I am sorted in that respect, but thanks for the offer.

I don't presently have the race report card information I was sent to hand, but I believe I have scans of most, if not all of them (I will have to double check though).

Team Lotus and Formula One fans on various forums have been incredibly generous in providing all sorts of valuable information from a wide range sources and what I have written wouldn't be anywhere near as detailed without their help.

My aim (since I began the project back in 2012) is for my book to be the definitive reference for the often neglected 1983-1994 period of the team's history and as such contains information about all 192 race weekends with details where possible of every practice, qualifying and warm-up session.

I have also created illustrations to accompany technical details of each car raced, as well as 3D CAD models of three unbuilt designs; the 103, 112 and the radical 10X (the latter two after being in touch with Chris Murphy).

The text content of each chapter is currently being reviewed and appraised by Ibrar Malik, author of the recent book about the conspiracy theories surrounding the 1994 Grand Prix season. As a result it has benefitted greatly from his insight as a successful published author, with extra detail being added where deemed necessary.

After more than seven years working on this book in my spare time, I hope I am reaching a stage where I feel I can submit it to a publisher, but numerous times previously I have received or being directed to information which has gone much deeper into the story and led to me undertaking literally years of further research.

First and foremost I am a fan, and have felt passionately enough about the subject to spend all that time trying to do the story justice.

kind regards

Neil

• Like 2

Hi, you are obviously well advanced with this project with a lot of contacts made already. The period of 1983-1994 was my era, if you like, my first Grand Prix being the British 1982. Like you I am just a fan, so I hope you find a publisher for your book and I will have to get a copy. If in the meantime, if you find you are missing any race reports, just let me know.

Thanks very much.

If you are interested, I would be happy to send you a PDF copy of the first chapter covering the 1983 season.

If you would like to read this (in exchange for some general feedback) just send me a private message containing your e-mail address, as I'm not sure if PDFs can be sent through the forum.

kind regards

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the offer, I will take you up on that. I will be in touch.