free hit
counters
Turbo removal - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
D2AUE

Turbo removal

Is there a way of removing the turbo from manifold while on my 1988 2.2 Turbo? as I trying to avoid removing manifold! Need to rebuild the turbo due to oil leak 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The bolts will be TIGHT from all the heat cycles.  And access will be limited.

One friend welded up a 90 degree wrench by cutting it in half and re-welding it at a right angle.

Good Luck...

Thanks,I did try that and no luck, my thought process is, surely the turbo must separate from the cast iron part that is connected to manifold by these awkward four bolts, is there no a way of removing the Turbo from cast iron part while on the car? Any thoughts? 

You could always cut the side of the chassis out :sofa:

7 hours ago, D2AUE said:

is there no a way of removing the Turbo from cast iron part while on the car? Any thoughts? 

If you remove the exhaust side engine mount you can jack the engine up & give yourself more access. :thumbup:

I've got a couple of modified tools for this.  A 17mm socket that has the open end ground flat so that it bites with minimal engagement.   Also the socket extension is partially ground away to allow the tool to be better aligned for one of the bolts.    Should generally be doable in situ, but as Atwell says, they will seem uber tight.