free hit
counters
Noisy Nitrons ? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content


Recommended Posts

For those of you with Nitrons ..... just spend a good chunk of the weekend fitting a set of single adjustable refurbed Nitron 46's that i got from Nitron.  

Rears seem fine ... but the fronts make a significant bang going over the pot holes that pass as roads in Surrey..... Does anyone have the same issue ? Is this just the lack of bushes or could it be something else ?  I've just rechecked the torque settings on the struts but they all seem correct.

Thoughts ? Normal ? or is there an issue.... ie my incompetence with a spanner or a possible fault ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I asked Dave about that. He said 40mm are okay

As an update... @tomprout I have now fitted 3 ways to the car and have to say they are just perfect. No bangs or knocks or anything unexpected. Very happy bunny !   So far the handling seems ex

I have a 410 with the standard 3 way and get a real 'clonk' on the rear. I took it in for its run in and the guys at Silverstone took the entire suspension apart, including new dampers from their demo - same problem. Having chatted on the other forum, it seems quite common!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have optional 2 ways on 380 Sport and no such noise on pretty harsh roads around me.  Based on road settings plus having also used track settings on road too 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd give Nitron a call directly, I've always found them to be very helpful in the past myself. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/02/2019 at 12:24, AndyHamp said:

For those of you with Nitrons ..... just spend a good chunk of the weekend fitting a set of single adjustable refurbed Nitron 46's that i got from Nitron.  

Rears seem fine ... but the fronts make a significant bang going over the pot holes that pass as roads in Surrey..... Does anyone have the same issue ? Is this just the lack of bushes or could it be something else ?  I've just rechecked the torque settings on the struts but they all seem correct.

Thoughts ? Normal ? or is there an issue.... ie my incompetence with a spanner or a possible fault ?

I have just fitted one way adjustable introns too and know exactly what you mean about the bang in front end going over pot holes. It sounds similar to the stock suspension bottoming out. 

I notice it more when going over things like motorway bridges where the sections meet. Sounds like a sharp thud. Strangely when out on country lanes I have no problems it only seem to be over the very sharp “pot hole” type compressions. I thoroughly checked mine yesterday and nothing is catching and there is no metal on metal anywhere I just put it down to the solid mounts rather than rubber bushes. Overall though I’m very happy with suspension. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@RedViper Do you find that changing the settings on the shocks makes any difference ? ie quieter on "Soft", noiser on "hard" ?  Do you think is gets quieter as they "warm up" ?

Just interested in your observations, so far.

For reference, if it wasn't for the noise I'd be very happy, the car feels like it's on rails.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

ive only had them on for 4 days upto now so haven’t had chance to play very much yet. For reference I’m 9 from full hard at front and 8 at back and 550/850 spring rate. 

If I have to live with it I will it was more of a sanity check that it’s normal than anything else. It seems a few people get similar noise. I think it’s just down to the solid mounts. Will give it couple of weeks and see if it gets any better. 

👍 

Edited by RedViper
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 10 months later...

Not totally ...... I had them rebuilt by Nitron (FOC) and they are quieter but still make some noise under specific circumstances (smallish pot holes).

I'm currently awaiting for a new set of 3 ways, as I'm craving a bit more adjust-ability than the 1 ways can provide. (and everyone tells me they are quieter too)

Anyone want a cheap set of NTR 46 one way adjustables (550/1100) 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AndyHamp said:

Not totally ...... I had them rebuilt by Nitron (FOC) and they are quieter but still make some noise under specific circumstances (smallish pot holes).

I'm currently awaiting for a new set of 3 ways, as I'm craving a bit more adjust-ability than the 1 ways can provide. (and everyone tells me they are quieter too)

Anyone want a cheap set of NTR 46 one way adjustables (550/1100) 😂

I ordered 40mm One way with Seriouslylotus vakving yesterday. These shouldnt make the noise.. Fingers crossed.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/01/2020 at 06:32, notabene said:

I ordered 40mm One way with Seriouslylotus vakving yesterday. These shouldnt make the noise.. Fingers crossed.. 

Why do you say that yours should not make any noise? I am also about to buy NTR 40 mm clubsport but I am concerned to end up with the same issue than the one mentionned int his thread...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tomprout said:

Why do you say that yours should not make any noise? I am also about to buy NTR 40 mm clubsport but I am concerned to end up with the same issue than the one mentionned int his thread...

I asked Dave about that. He said 40mm are okay

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

As an update...

@tomprout I have now fitted 3 ways to the car and have to say they are just perfect. No bangs or knocks or anything unexpected. Very happy bunny !  
So far the handling seems exactly the same but don't want to drive it far until it's been in for a full geo.

These ones are factory spec Cupsports with 500/850 springs (road spec rather than the factory 550/1100)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Hi @AndyHamp, sorry to dig up an old thread I spoke to you in the past as I also had issues with noise from my 46mm Nitrons. Good to know the 3 ways do indeed resolve the issue, does the rides/handling feel better overall? Still considering this upgrade myself. Thanks. Sam

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Fonze said:

Hi @AndyHamp, sorry to dig up an old thread I spoke to you in the past as I also had issues with noise from my 46mm Nitrons. Good to know the 3 ways do indeed resolve the issue, does the rides/handling feel better overall? Still considering this upgrade myself. Thanks. Sam

Well it's hard to say that the handling is much better as I've only managed to do about 50 miles since fitting. But, yes it feels like it is to me and I can easily tweek things how I want. 

BUT... the guy I sold them too discovered what the problem is! Apparently it's the bushes that are at fault... I don't know the details but I can put you in touch with him if you want.... IIRC the wrong size allows the shock to move in the Bush and then it knocks. 

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy, thanks for the prompt reply that’s very interesting to hear. Why is it that the 3 ways are silent then are they supplied with a different shock mount Bush? But yes if you can send me any further details via pm that would be brilliant. Cheers. Sam
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam, 

I think the fix was just some minor matching of the bushes... I'm assuming it's a manufacturing fault that was only on some bushes. I think we're only talking about a thou or two... 

I'll send you Marks contact details via PM tomorrow. 

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Andy most appreciated, I have heard good things about HPE auto so will give Dan a call. Wonder if something as crude as wrapping the bolts (that go through the nitron bearing) with PTFE tape would take out a certain amount of slack and dampen the noise. Good info to have thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...