free hit
counters
Esprit s1/Citroen gearbox stripdown - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
williamtherebel

Esprit s1/Citroen gearbox stripdown

Hi Im in the process of delving into my Esprit S1/Citroen gearbox. Any advice? Anyone got a list of the special tools I'll need? The tool to remove the pinion shaft for example? Anyone actually manufactured any and has diagrams etc? Cheers.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Someone MIGHT have the 'boxed set' of Citroen Special Tools for loan on your side of the pond.

I know of two sources in the USA.

Lez,

Tim Engel, with whom you're familiar through the Yahoo hosted forum(s), has held forth abundantly on most topics of interest, including the particulars of working through the box. He has, as far as I can tell,  great credibility gained through hands-on experience and is an engineer with lifelong devotion to Lotus.

Cheers

9 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Hi Im in the process of delving into my Esprit S1/Citroen gearbox. Any advice? Anyone got a list of the special tools I'll need? The tool to remove the pinion shaft for example? Anyone actually manufactured any and has diagrams etc? Cheers.

@giorgio67 refurbished his gearbox and did it all himself I believe?

My (unhelpful?) advice would be don't do it unless you know there is a problem  (If not an actual failure, typically starting as noise in 5th gear)..     You don't need many tools - From memory - A large thin open ended spanner to remove speedo drive/nut  (most of 'us' have made these).   A giant box spanner to remove the outer driveshaft bearings.  A DTI for crown wheel backlash.  A spring scale (like a fishing scale) to measure crown wheel preload.  There is also a special tool to allow you to measure the pinion height.  I did not have one of these so used a heath robinison arrangement of an engineers square and a digital Vernier to measure the height.   Think that's about it.  Alan Voights in Merseyside would be local to you and also knows these boxes well....

Seeing as I have a couple of gearboxes, we have checked the best one and it looks ok. Selects all the gears etc so we are going to fit it as is. However we are still going to look for diagrams/plans etc for the 'special tools' seeing as my mate can make them whilst he is still at work for any future problems. Thanks for the input.