free hit
counters
Esprit 300Sport LSD - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MrDangerUS

Esprit 300Sport LSD

How many of you have  original S300 Torsen LSD installed or on the shelf?  I'm not asking about Quaife!

lotus sport 300 lsd.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I’m curious exactly what the difference is between the two

Only here once

On 20/02/2019 at 18:29, cweeden said:

Why do you ask? I have the Quaife so just curious. 🙂 

I heard, that drive shafts get twisted off under a high torque application. I love fixing Lotus Engineering FUBAR-s", so it is an exciting simple project I can do in my "spare" time, LOL.

Unfortunately, those shafts were designed 30 yrs ago and have a deep groove, which is the presumed site of failure.

My redesigned shafts would have splines cut without any groove, in similar manner as EMCO Kit shaft ends.

I would like to know if there are any Lotus Brothers, who would share the cost? How many parts should I make?

P.S.  I've heard, that only 74 differentials of this type were made(?) WHERE ARE THEY?

IMG_0377.JPG

shaft_ends_close_up_compari.jpg

Edited by MrDangerUS

It might be more cost effective (albeit not standard) to fit the Quaiffe ATB instead, it doesn't have the groove. That may make it stronger but it does make it more difficult to seal.

Barry, the link below has an interesting conversation about the differences between an LSD and an ATB. It's interesting that the unit in the Sport300 is labelled as Torsen LSD but the service notes refer to is an ATB.

https://forums.focaljet.com/showthread.php/597609-Torsen-vs-Quaife-Bias-ratio-(REAL-answer-in-here!)

cheers

-Chris

What an ingenious peice of engineering that is. There realy are some clever barstewards out there. Yet petrol engine technology hasn't realy changed in principal for 120 years. 

On 22/02/2019 at 12:34, MrDangerUS said:

I heard, that drive shafts get twisted off under a high torque application. I love fixing Lotus Engineering FUBAR-s", so it is an exciting simple project I can do in my "spare" time, LOL.

Unfortunately, those shafts were designed 30 yrs ago and have a deep groove, which is the presumed site of failure.

My redesigned shafts would have splines cut without any groove, in similar manner as EMCO Kit shaft ends.

I would like to know if there are any Lotus Brothers, who would share the cost? How many parts should I make?

I've made blanks for myself. I still have enough lathe stock for one more set.

rsz_img_0961.jpg

Do you know what hardening process will be required for these?