free hit
counters
More Oil Leaks... - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

More Oil Leaks...

Jonathan

Just noticed a splodge of oil on ym garage floor - I've had the car up on stands at the front only for a long time (2-3 months) whilst getting these suspension parts delivered and sorting other things out.

I had the car on all 4's a while and it's been back up at the front again (say 5-10 degrees).

After moving it yesterday under it's own steam a huge plume of continuous smoke came out of the engine lid vent - engine off and threw off the engine cover to see bellows of smoke coming from the manifold where you could see a damp patch...definatly oil.

It's seem to have collected by the web that re-enforces the up pipe to the turbo, ie just back from the rear most exhaust port on the manifold.

I can't really identify any leak but it looks like perhaps the cam tower under the chargecooler might have been leaking from - it's hard to see where the leak might be from.

Anyways - engine on and off a few times to try the oil out and now it's on all 4's again it seems to have stoped any leak, I would estimate perhaps an egg cup has leaked so it's not something that might cause an alarm fluid loss wise, it's not dripped onto the floor either.

Howeer I have noticed whisps of smoke and a burny rubbery smell on that side before and never got the end of it and wonder if that's a very slow leak burning off the oil. I usually run my car 2-3 times a week so me doing so might have disguised this issue, this is the longest it's been out of action for a long while.

Has anyone had anything similar ?

Is this a common issue ? If so I am tempted to make a small deflector to the turbo / engine heat shield to stop it dripping on the manifold.

I am tempted to have the cam tower off and change the gasket incase.

Incidently I also had an oil leak from the gearbox (again nothing more than an egg cup) but this seems to be piddling out of the roll pins on the starboard drive shaft - I can understand this as too much fluid weight over that area (ie being tipped up for so long) can cause it to seep through and past the sealant over the ends of the pins.

facebook = [email protected]

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely common.

The cam tower sealant is an anarobic sealant. Loctite 518 or Permatex anarobic.

There are also o-rings at the end of the cam tower cam shafts that should be replaced. And you can do the seals at the front of the cams as well. Don't forget the little o-rings around all the brass cam bolt hole plugs.

Check your valve clearances while you're at it.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks again :lol:

It's got a C service very soon, ie this week - I'll get them to have a look then.

John, keep meaning to ask....Wheres the best place local for a service? Am due a 'B'....Was going to take it to Dutton Farshaw at Canterbury, the Ex lotus team for Motorway sportscars are there apparently?..... Regards Paul

Another common place to get leaks are from the drive shaft seals. If the cars been standing for a while, this is common. I had this when I first got my car.

I spoke to Lakeside about small oil leaks last year and they said it's very common with 4 pot engines and nothing to worry about, as long as it's just a small amount.

I put my car in it's nice new dry garage on the weekend (which conviently comes with it's own house :lol:). What's the first thing that happens, a splodge of oil on the new concret. Damn oil leaks!

1.jpg

mine drips for england too, always the box.

sometimes the front of the sump to block join, if I've thrashed it nuts off it. seems ok just poodling around. (not often then). block/ladder flexing under load I am told.

ps. loving the new pad mark. thats what i call a garage

Edited by pitstoppete

Yup mark - spank my garage !!

Man with priorities right ! (when can I move in ?)

Today it's stopped - so it was purely to do with the fact it's been tipped up at the front for months which is nice.

Serice....I usually take mine to Lipscombs in Aylesford about 1 mile from my house hehe, they are a good bunch there and Mark the engineer is a top bloke imo, extremely knowledgable and he spends time with people explaining stuff. Stamp is nice as well being a main dealer, but labour is high (

facebook = [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I noticed this evening on my return from a trip out testing the gear linkage, which works fine now, that I had all oil sprayed around the n/s front wheel arch. Now I know the oil cooler is this side of the car, but it doesn't look like it's leaking, I wonder whether I've just been unlucky and driven through some oil. The car runs alright and doesn't pump oil out while ticking over.

Also I checked the level and it's where it should be since last checking it over the weekend. The n/s sill, lower door and some of the reat bumper was covered in the specs of oil. The front n/s arch was covered all the way round. I took the car for another drive to see if I could get it to do it again after cleaning it all off, but there were only minor specs from what was left, no new spray of oil.

I don't think this is an oil leak, just unlucky to hit some oil on that side of the car the cooler is on, you never know what people put on the roads. Just going up the road would be enough for the oil to spray out of any hole in the cooler or pipes with 4 bar pressure, and the cooler is well protected so I couldn't see how it would get damaged.

Anyone heard of problems and symptoms like this? :thumbup:

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

Anyone heard of problems and symptoms like this? :thumbup:

Yep!

garage1_009.jpg

You have a smallish oil cooler on both sides of your front bumper, joined by a link pipe that runs along the inside of the front of your front boot. I would imagine it's the join between the pipe and cooler that's leaking (near to the headlight lift motor) and finding it's way back out under the front wheel arch. Not good news, I'm afraid. :welcome:

Yep!

garage1_009.jpg

You have a smallish oil cooler on both sides of your front bumper, joined by a link pipe that runs along the inside of the front of your front boot. I would imagine it's the join between the pipe and cooler that's leaking (near to the headlight lift motor) and finding it's way back out under the front wheel arch. Not good news, I'm afraid. :thumbup:

Hi

This is my problem, there is no drips of oil on the floor like in your photo. I had a good look around the wheel arch while the car was running and I could see no oil leaking from anywhere. Even at a few pounds idle pressure, oil would leak out. I've checked the car this morning and no drips on the floor. I'm going to go out in it today, if it's going to do it it will this morning, then I would be convinced, but on the trip out last night I came back and oil was not to be seen, only the original spray round the arch.

This is a strange one?

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

This is where mine initially started to show signs of leaking. (RHS). There's enough of a shelf for the oil to puddle inside the front boot area before making it's escape.

(the washer bottle has been removed in this pic - note the leaves and other muck under there!)

garage1013.jpg

This is where mine initially started to show signs of leaking. (RHS). There's enough of a shelf for the oil to puddle inside the front boot area before making it's escape.

(the washer bottle has been removed in this pic - note the leaves and other muck under there!)

garage1013.jpg

Thanks GKP for the info, I will have a look tonight when I get home. The car ran alright this morning on the way to work, no spray up the side of the car and no fresh drops of oil can be seen around and under the wheel arch area. Oil pressure remained ok.

Owen.

I have been getting oil puddle paranoid....

To get this fixt the whole engine needs to be taken apart....

:thumbsup:

does not look as bad as it is, it dripps all over the place....

Edited by esprits4de

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Hi,

Regarding my oil leak, i don't appear to have one! (touches some wood!). I think it was just a fluke that I had hit some oil on the road and it appeared to come from the oil cooler. I've been out in the car tonight and it drives lovely, just got to sort the annoying drone and some rattle in the top area behind my head! :thumbsup:

I think its possibly some pipe work running along the shell of the car that keeps banging everytime I go over bumps. I will just rap everything in foam to hopefully stop it! :coffee:

Owen.

Just noticed a splodge of oil on ym garage floor - I've had the car up on stands at the front only for a long time (2-3 months) whilst getting these suspension parts delivered and sorting other things out.

I had the car on all 4's a while and it's been back up at the front again (say 5-10 degrees).

After moving it yesterday under it's own steam a huge plume of continuous smoke came out of the engine lid vent - engine off and threw off the engine cover to see bellows of smoke coming from the manifold where you could see a damp patch...definatly oil.

It's seem to have collected by the web that re-enforces the up pipe to the turbo, ie just back from the rear most exhaust port on the manifold.

I can't really identify any leak but it looks like perhaps the cam tower under the chargecooler might have been leaking from - it's hard to see where the leak might be from.

Anyways - engine on and off a few times to try the oil out and now it's on all 4's again it seems to have stoped any leak, I would estimate perhaps an egg cup has leaked so it's not something that might cause an alarm fluid loss wise, it's not dripped onto the floor either.

Howeer I have noticed whisps of smoke and a burny rubbery smell on that side before and never got the end of it and wonder if that's a very slow leak burning off the oil. I usually run my car 2-3 times a week so me doing so might have disguised this issue, this is the longest it's been out of action for a long while.

Has anyone had anything similar ?

Is this a common issue ? If so I am tempted to make a small deflector to the turbo / engine heat shield to stop it dripping on the manifold.

I am tempted to have the cam tower off and change the gasket incase.

Incidently I also had an oil leak from the gearbox (again nothing more than an egg cup) but this seems to be piddling out of the roll pins on the starboard drive shaft - I can understand this as too much fluid weight over that area (ie being tipped up for so long) can cause it to seep through and past the sealant over the ends of the pins.

Jon,

I had the exact same symptoms! White smoke plumes coming off the exhaust manifold for a few minutes after the car heated up, with a burning rubber smell. It was the top camshaft tower o-ring (or camshaft end cap o-ring). I ordered the top and bottom o-rings (wanted to replace both while I had access to both end caps), removed the heat shield, popped off the end caps and replaced the o-rings on them, problem solved! Altogether a really painless procedure!

-Erik E.

1994 Esprit S4

Edited by Callaway