free hit
counters
Paint Touchups - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bigsi

Paint Touchups

guys i want to paint my wing mirros and front rear bumpers ready for gaydon.

i can leave the front one in place and mask it all up fine, the rear i can remove easily now, and the mirrors will just be masked up and done in situ.

question, once i have rubbed them down and keyed them , then wiped with pre paint and a tack cloth, i will prime them first then wet sand as needed. can i just use a cellulose spray paint from say halfords or des it need to be special paints? after painting i intend to laquer them with a professional tetrosyl laquer.

any input greatfully recieved

simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well I like my colourcoded parts :lol:

Anyway in that case I would suggest that you can get a good finish with canned paint be it from halfrods or anywhere else i did the bits under my windows this way and they are still great 2 years down the line.

Take your time, keep it clean and go for lots of light coats you should be fine.

Also with paint if your not happy can always sand it down and do it again.

My thoughts anyway

Halford do a satin and matt celulose spray.....

Used the satin on all your engine covers n stuff..... seems to be pretty ok....

U comin 2 mine for an esprit Overhaul weekend?????

Chunky Lover

As said - Halfords stuff is pretty good (although it's no longer cellulose)...

I've found a tougher paint in matt and satin black that I've used in Motorcycle restoration - PJ1 Fast Black - and it's 'les ballons du Chiens' :realmad:

Not sure if I spelt that correctly - my French is distinctly rusty - but you get the gist...

It's actually designed to be used on engine casings - but works on plastic and is plenty tough...

Available from most good motorcycle emporiums...

Oh - and am about to use this to refresh my door window frames.

Iain

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

well today i took my wing mirrors off completely, i started to give them a light rub down with some fine wet and dry only to find they had been painted before, and badly.

so off they came, took a while to get to the nuts inside with my fat hands but they are off.

now i have totally stripped them and i can prep them tonight while its still sunny here and then paint and laquer them tomorrow, then refit them.

looks like the door has had several coats of paint in its lifetime i think as theres quite a step down to the paint where the mirror base was, but i will soon sort this out also.

i have got some tetrosyl professional black gloss and laquer for a real glass like finish to the mirror casings, im going to do the same with the slat section on the back.

will upload some pics afterwards.

roll on tomorrow

will upload some pics afterwards.

Excellent - interested to see how you get on....

They already look good in the current pics! :realmad:

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

Nice one Si

Its the laquer that you will really need to take your time on and get right as it is easy to get a run as ideally the laquer should be put on slightly thicker, but still the same take your time and you should get a good result look forward to the pics.

Oh you should set Troy up a house in your glove box then whenever you cant get your hands everywhere you have a small person on hand! :realmad:

well im a dab hand at spray painting always have been, just wasnt sure about the mirror casings.

spent the evening stripping them down and cleaning them up, removing the old paint and primer.

used many grades of wet and dry, as you can see by the end, they look like glass :realmad:

god im getting good at this stuff :rant:

DSCN5115.jpg

DSCN5117.jpg

DSCN5119.jpg

DSCN5120.jpg

DSCN5122.jpg

DSCN5125.jpg

Just a quickie about removing your rear bumper; me + Dodgy had the pleasure of refitting that the other week (everyone else was out at a karaoke night - seriously!) and it was a bit of a pain.

The captive nuts on the o/s that hold the right hand side of the lower valance onto the car were completely munched. We had to fit ordinary nuts and bolts (and penny washers) which were a pita to get to despite engineering, er, 'access' holes in your battery tray. :rant:

The nuts + bolts that hold the bumper to the car and valance are all ok but it might be prudent this time to just wrap the rear of the car in masking tape and paint the bumper in situ. Let someone smaller than you struggle with dismantling the car completely when you give it a full on respray over the winter.

The mirrors look great, though! :realmad:

well im a dab hand at spray painting always have been, just wasnt sure about the mirror casings.

spent the evening stripping them down and cleaning them up, removing the old paint and primer.

used many grades of wet and dry, as you can see by the end, they look like glass :rant:

god im getting good at this stuff :rtfm:

That's an understatement! :realmad:

Presume that's just spraycans?

Iain (stunned)

well doing the mirrors wasnt enough!!

i have spent the day sorting out that horrible looking spider crazing to the drivers door under the mirror, it looked damn horrible and unsightly.

it would seem that the door has had loads of paint on it in its life time, and thats why it crazing.

si i rubbed the raised areas back with 1200 grit wet and dry and then sprayed some filler primer into a cap and used a fine paint brush t paint the filler primer into the cracks.

after several coats of this i left it to dry, when dry i will then rub back again with wet and dry and then re-apply filler primer where necessary until the crazing cannot be seen.

when thats done i will then touch up with the paint matched for the car.

Si a good tip shown to me by a bodyshop owner for getting into fine lines and stone chips was to use a fine point like a cocktail stick get some paint on and let it run down the point into the crack/hole.

It may or maynot come in helpfull if you can get it to work.

Glyn

thanks glyn.

the mirror casings are coming up a treeat and are going to look fantastic (i hope)

the door is another matter , im still filler priming these little splits, seems even with light rubbing with 1200 grit some of the primer lifts out of the cracks. i am tempted to run a small channel tool accross them to slightly widen them and then fill with some proper filler, just enough to sort them out.

however im sure one or two more coats of this primer filler will do the job for me, as they are only just slightly visable now, then it several coats of paint, a colour sand and then compund that door panel so it all looks nice and matching again.

Most probably tonnes of silicone in the cracks causing the paint not so stick......

May need to soak them several times in thinners to help lift it out.....

Simon

Chunky Lover

well to say im not f***ing happy is an understatement.

no silicone in the simon just a crap repair job done before

It would seem the crazing is the result of a really shitty repair job in that area before, you know what.. shitty doesnt even come close.

the whole section of paint and what ever they stuck behind it came away while i was finish sanding the area after priming it. tell you what for the first time in almost 20 years i nearly blew my top!!!!!!

well i had enough so i have wet sanded it all back to where things are solid again, let it dry down and then dusted it with primer and i have left it that way until tomorrow.

im not a happy bunny tonight... not happy at all..

Edited by bigsi

well the mirror casings went ok today, at least something went right!

ok first off they were totally cleaned up again in warm soapy water, then wiped down with a tack rag.

i then applied several coats of primer, all of which was wet sanded back to an ultra smooth finish with 1200 grit paper. the whole thing is now without blemish or low spots.

DSCN5127.jpg

DSCN5128.jpg

here is the first dust coat of black

DSCN5132.jpg

DSCN5133.jpg

several coats later and 8 coats of laquer later

DSCN5136.jpg

DSCN5137.jpg

DSCN5138.jpg

DSCN5139.jpg

tomorrow it will be wet sanded with 1800-2000 grit paper to give it the final glass like finish and remove the orange peel from the laquer finish, then compounded with g3 compound and then polished to a very high lustre with super resin polish.

oh and i will finish the door as well.

Chill dude, or we'll take it away for good next time!

The crazing is almost certainly because the fibreglass has been stressed (if it's where I think, I'm guessing the mirror had a clout). You don't get that from having too many layers of paint. Once the gell coat has cracked, it can take a while for them to work to the surface. This is why it's never wise to respray just after an accident.

Under a microscope, the sides of the cracks in the gel coat are very smooth (like the edge of broken toffee rather than a broken biscuit), so getting filler to stick is virtually impossible. The usual course of action is to widen them out first, then fill them, and sand them flat. Chances are that whoever did the original job didn't know any better and just sprayed over the problem without even keying the surface. It would have looked great, and he probably thought he'd done a really good job, but the crazing eventually works its way through the new paint, and as you've just found out, without proper keying the whole lot comes off as soon as you try to work it. It's not worth getting all worked up about it, particularly when you consider the general state of the paint.

Since you're getting the nano-machanic to respray it anyway, I suggest that for now, you're better off just keying up the surface and spraying that, and leave Troy to sort out the crazing. It should last long enough to see you through to the full respray. In any case, I'd speak to Troy first. He might prefer you not to do anything.

See you tomorrow (chilled out I hope),

Phil

More speed, less haste

i took a piccie will upload it later, there is in fact 5 layers of paint there and two of primers, after some delicate sanding back the layers show themselves easily, hwever im going to give it a light rub back and then coat it with several light layers of the red paint that simon gave me followed by some of the red wax treatment. then ican refit the mirrors ready for tomorrow.

me calm, im fine matey, a cuppa tea, some italian food and curled up with cammy and im as soft as a puppy ;)

see you both tomorrow ;)

Edited by bigsi

Damn Si, those wing mirrors look amazing, that's just spray paint?

Edited by fmxa

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Hey, Simon. Did you see any manufacturer's markings on those mirror casings which could give a clue as to where they come from? Part numbers, badges or anything?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Hi Trevor i think the mirrors are from a ford capri .early turbo mirrors are different as are s2s early looking at them i think they are the early type ,might be wrong .mike s3