free hit
counters
Spring is coming - Don't let your Esprit burn to the ground - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tony K

Spring is coming - Don't let your Esprit burn to the ground

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Because if you don't, this can happen...……………………………………………………….

XIFS9NXw_jpeg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

That photo is too scary, my '85 is BRG w/ gold wheels.💀

But my carbs and distributor are safely in a bin in the garage attic, so that gives me some peace of mind.

Yes, I was inspired to post this from a pic recently shared on Facebook:

Image may contain: car, fire and outdoor

Modern ethanol rich fuels do not mix well with old rubber hoses. All old hoses (especially from pre-2000) should be replaced with new, ethanol resistant ones. If you don't do this and continue to use standard pump fuel you are asking for trouble. Many "super" unleaded fuels such as BP Ultimate do NOT use ethanol, but 95 octane fuels do use up to 5%. 

Here is a great article for reference:

http://www.wheels-alive.co.uk/ethanol-and-classics-dont-mix-our-final-episode-of-three/

• Like 1

Good write up Tony.

Personally, I do steps 5 to 10 on the first start of each new day. RELIGIOUSLY. I have experienced bad fuel leaks twice and it was just luck there was no fire. The most recent was from the banjo bolts. The fiber washers are designed to be used ONCE, so don’t push your luck. I change fuel lines every two years.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snowrx said:

That photo is too scary, my '85 is BRG w/ gold wheels.💀

But my carbs and distributor are safely in a bin in the garage attic, so that gives me some peace of mind.

Sent to me by a TLF member who was due to turn up at one of the meetings I had arranged. The car caught fire on his driveway.

As an excuse for a no-show, it was of the best I’d ever seen, though.

Nice post Tony, thank you.

This has been in the back of my mind as my Esprit is about to go back on the road after a four year period.  I replaced the fuel lines in 2013, and I have a braided hose to the carbs (so no banjo bolts) so I think I have done as much as I can to avoid this, but its still the one thing about early Esprit ownership I am uncomfortable with.  My fear is not so much starting up, but if something was to happen whilst on the move.

I have an extinguisher, and am considering a plumbed in system but I have heard of an incident where a car with this fitted still went up as the system ran out of foam.

Is there any way the distributor can be "insulated" so should a fuel leak develop there is a chance of avoiding the worst or anything else that can be done?

Every 5 years I replace the fuel lines. Previous year I did it and it was necessary because leakes. So better save then sorry.

The other thing to have is a realistic agreed valuation for the insurance ;)

one other thing I heard can cause a fire is a rupture in the oil line to the oil pressure gauge too, probably less likely than a fuel fire, but still worth looking at i guess?

Thanks Tony!

Would like to connect with you by phone or email if you are interested.  I'm in MKE.  Please PM me a good way to get in touch if that's ok.

Roy

On 05/03/2019 at 12:43, TpupNomad said:

Thanks Tony!

Would like to connect with you by phone or email if you are interested.  I'm in MKE.  Please PM me a good way to get in touch if that's ok.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Check your messages!

-Tony