free hit
counters
Euro trip advice - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Euro trip advice

• Gold FFM

Having read some comments about using the Evora on long distance I was thinking of maybe doing a Euro trip this summer?

i would be thinking of going to Germany see some family near Frankfurt area then maybe going down to Bavaria as far as around the Alps ? I was thinking of a 9 days trip ? 

Any suggestions of routes,  places in the region also anything to be aware of ?

tomorrow  I am going to drive into north London,  in my one year of ownership the longest journey 100miles each way I would have completed ! So the above euro trip is a big step ! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Your driving licence is invalid in 24 days, junckers has demanded that the Euro police stop every car with a GB number plate. The Insurance companies have all withdrawn EU cover. Barnier is currently laying tacks on all the nice roads in Europe that British sports car fans like to use. And Spain has promised new border checks for all GB cars that will mean a 4 day wait at the border with no water - which is a good job as they have refused to make toilets available too!

Apart from that, have a great trip. I'm jealous as hell!

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

After a little refelection and fake news apart ! Lol 

I might leave Euro trip this summer and wait for dust to settle on the B word 

anyway I had a email today from Shell garage card scheme saying my air miles collection will cease in June so I might have to use the 15 years of air miles I already collected? 

If you search on here for Stelvio or Furka you'll find a few previous topics with route suggestions :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
On 06/03/2019 at 09:21, Bravo73 said:

Please, try not to turn every thread into your game of political fake news. 🤦‍♂️

Really....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• 2 years later...
  • Gold FFM

I had posted a message about going to Ireland this summer but my young daughter didn’t get over excited with notion of cold beaches and Irish folk songs in bars ! 😳

so instead thinking of going to drive down to Portaventura near Salou Barcelona 

do I drive via France cost approx £500-800 1600 miles  4 days travelling time 

OR

go via north Spain ferry crossing 

£1200 700 miles 1 day driving but 30 hrs on ferry each way 

18 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

I had posted a message about going to Ireland this summer but my young daughter didn’t get over excited with notion of cold beaches and Irish folk songs in bars ! 😳

so instead thinking of going to drive down to Portaventura near Salou Barcelona 

do I drive via France cost approx £500-800 1600 miles  4 days travelling time 

OR

go via north Spain ferry crossing 

£1200 700 miles 1 day driving but 30 hrs on ferry each way 

Depends entirely on whether you want to spend 4 days driving there and back or not. The ferry is a cruise ferry so well kitted out

presumably you need to add hotels to the french route. thought crossing to santander was about 20 hours. personally would avoid france at the moment

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM
52 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

I’d book return flights to Barcelona and hire a car at the other end for the duration.

That’s sensible option but I like to try and use my car and I had done this trip some 20 years ago but only went to Lourdes 

1 hour ago, pete said:

presumably you need to add hotels to the french route. thought crossing to santander was about 20 hours. personally would avoid france at the moment

I did factor a couple of overnights at £100 a night 

brittany ferry shows Portsmouth to Bilbao 33 hrs 

trying to keep costs down the hotel at theme park is £700 for 4 nights not bad includes park tickets and half board 

so overall shade under £2k , a fly package with Jet2 coming out at £3k 

• Gold FFM

A 30 hour ferry can be nice, if you like a cruise or are just happy to have nothing to do but sleep, eat and drink. If you consider it part of the holiday, it might let you down though.
I'd say the same goes for a long drive, unless you can include a view interesting roads or places to visit along the way. That's probably what I would do.

Flying might seem like the logical choice, but there is definitely something to be said for driving your own car when on holiday. I drove to Dublin once and that remains my favorite weekend there.

As you've changed the destination for your youngest, maybe check what she prefers as well? No point in going to Spain for her if she's gonna hate the long drive or ferry there.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Plymouth is too far for me to get too hence its shorter crossing , I think Portsmouth Bilbao is longer as it stops in Roscoff ? 
my daughter has been on a couple cruise ships so has good sea legs and the drive from the port down to destination is about 4-5 hours , she will put up with that if she wants to go portaventura for the major rides etc 

• Gold FFM

When I took my Defender for an off-road expedition in the Pyrenees a few years back, I chose to do the ferry route, in that case Plymouth -> Santander.

I must admit I've never driven all the way through France, but the ferry seemed like a nice option to avoid what would otherwise be a very long drive over several days, with toll roads and hotel costs, etc. So I decided the extra bit for the ferry was worth it, and gave a far more relaxed and pleasant start/end to the trip. It's not exactly a luxury cruise ship, but it's not bad, and we certainly had some enjoyable food and drink onboard, and got a decent sleep in small cabin.

I'd very happily do the same route again for future trips in that direction.

I've always driven to destinations in Europe, every time (so far) through France

Found the best option to be

• mid afternoon Eurotunnel from UK
  • Stop around 7pm - 200km or so into France - For Spain, I'd be aiming for Rouen.
  • Leisurely breakfast next day
  • Leave about 10:30
  • Aim to arrive at the next stop at around 5pm - Cahors area.
  • Portaventura 6 hours from there

Get a Toll Tag so you can get through the tolls quickly

Novotel is my normal choice for overnight stops. Sign up, you get a bit of a discount.

Similar on the way back - but normally only one over night stop around Bourges/Tours/Le Mans/Orleans distance.

Last couple of trips I've booked a FlexiPlus ticket on Eurotunnel (expensive option) as it allows you just to turn up and go and not spend hours in a queue. Paid dividends when my car broke down in Slovenia the day before we were coming back. The RAC flew the whole family home, and then me back the next weekend to collect the car and drive it back. Flexiplus ticket still valid.

Make sure you have euro cover for the car - recovery as well - I can recommend the RAC.

• Gold FFM

Cheers Chris 

I think I am inclined to do the ferry across to Spain only as it saves putting on the extra hundreds of miles on car and minimises the long driving for me? 
I think the route through France is not spectacular or even the Spain route but it’s a means to end 

• Gold FFM

Last time I went from Portsmouth to Santander, the ferry sailed at 18.00 and got in the next morning at Santander, 13 hours including the time difference.

I see that it’s now it takes a lot longer. Were I being cynical, I would say it’s to keep you onboard and spending money for as long as possible, rather than getting you to your destination in a timely manner. They must be using oars instead of engines. If you’re looking for a what they’re calling a “cruise”, then fine.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

@Chillidoggy - serious question from an ill informed landlubber to an old sea dog.  Could the extra time taken also be down to less frequent ferry services (so longer turnaround times at ports etc) and cruising at a lower speed to save fuel, and therefore cost?  I only ask as the few people I know with boats with large HP engines tell me that even their modest gin palaces suck fuel at a rate to embarrass a Saturn V rocket.  I can only imagine how much fuel a fully laden ferry ship must consume at full speed ahead.

Sorry if it was indeed a daft question.

• Gold FFM
5 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

@Chillidoggy - serious question from an ill informed landlubber to an old sea dog.  Could the extra time taken also be down to less frequent ferry services (so longer turnaround times at ports etc) and cruising at a lower speed to save fuel, and therefore cost?  I only ask as the few people I know with boats with large HP engines tell me that even their modest gin palaces suck fuel at a rate to embarrass a Saturn V rocket.  I can only imagine how much fuel a fully laden ferry ship must consume at full speed ahead.

Sorry if it was indeed a daft question.

No, not daft at all.

It's all about one thing - profit.

More customer inquiries can lead to more frequent sailings, and also the possibility of more ferries, which in turn leads to more income. But if you recall my comments, and the figures for Dover, you'll see that whilst freight has remained steady, the arse has dropped out of the passenger/car sector, and a reduced number of sailings, coupled with slower running so as to maximise onboard revenue, are all cost-saving measures.

Fuel is a big factor. A ship's fuel consumption is not an arithmetic progression, it's usually a curve that rises as speed (and therefore power requirement) increases to overcome the increasing drag. Because the ships currently have speed in reserve, it allows the operator to adjust crossing times in order to make the most profit from whatever punters they can attract. What the canny operator is doing is striking a balance between fuel consumption, onboard spend, and time taken to get to the destination. They would have estimated, or researched, how long the average punter would be prepared to spend on their ship. If the ferry takes a week to get to Santander, would it be an attractive option? Probably not. But by upping the crossing time from overnight to 30 hours (or whatever Pete says it is), they're hoping the punters will wear it, and it'll save them fuel and boost onboard profit.

Some light at the end of the tunnel - let us not forget that the advent of Brexit has meant the reintroduction of 'duty-free' onboard sales, and we could eventually see the return of the 'booze cruise' where punters would get onboard, get drunk in the bar, sleep it off, get drunk again, and stagger off the ferry in Portsmouth clutching their duty free goods, never once setting foot in Spain. Not my cup of tea, but they were all the rage at one time!

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

49 minutes ago, pete said:

The ferry is slower now because it is gas powered

Screenshot_20211020-103127.png

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Could TLFers from Belgium and The Netherlands update me on motorway/autoroute police tolerances please. The Netherlands is now 100kph during the day, how strictly is this enforced? Is 120kph punished and is there, like France, a scale of misdemeanours? France is vicious....an instant ban for overseas registered cars 50kph over limit. Ask me how I know.....

Likewise Belgium...same questions. 

I am not looking to be massively over speed limits but I know the tolerances in UK and it would be handy to understand the latest in two countries I drive in fairly often. Just back from Germany and the first time I have had the displeasure of 100kph in Holland. 

Justin