free hit
counters
Esprit electric power steering conversion - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Roger Moore

Esprit electric power steering conversion

Hi everyone, I own a 1989 Esprit turbo and am contemplating with the idea of electric power steering conversion. Tired of the heavy steering. I heard Hilly had some pictures posted could you please point me to the right direction? By the way I leave in Los Angeles. Thanks Roger

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Andy used a vauxhall corsa motor,  however this was on a 80/81 g esprit,  some folks have posts more recently giving other new improved motors to be fitted as time has moved on as did technology. So check other posts for fitting aftermarket motor assisted steering. 

How ever that said Andy is an excellent engineer and you can get some great info and insperation from his posts   you can find a lot of this posts by looking up the user name Hilly in the project and restoration section  :) 

A

Thanks Guys for your response. I haven't been on the forum a long time. I have already installed an electric power steering on my car and it runs fantastic. It is a very simple conversion and you don't have to modify anything else on the car. It came from a 2010 Toyota Yaris and cost me $200. I can provide details if anybody is interested. 

My new project that I need help with is to eliminate the mechanical vacume pump and replacing it with an electric one. I need it to run the entire vacume system on the car, engine, brakes heater etc. 

Ant pictures or diagrams would be appreciated. 

Thanks Roger

DSCN5057.JPG

Would love to see some details of the electric power steering set up you installed!

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

8 hours ago, Roger Moore said:

Thanks Guys for your response. I haven't been on the forum a long time. I have already installed an electric power steering on my car and it runs fantastic. It is a very simple conversion and you don't have to modify anything else on the car. It came from a 2010 Toyota Yaris and cost me $200. I can provide details if anybody is interested. 

I would be interested to hear details of the power steering conversion as well! 

Hi Steve, sorry for the late response, been working hard on a friend's Subaru wrx. The details about the electric steering would be: Bought the steering column with the control unit. You can connect electrically 2 ways, with or without vehicle speed signal. I chose the non signal because it is much more simple, the difference would be the same steering assistance all the time, but the steering weight was so perfect that I didn't need it. Make sure the steering comes from a Yaris that does have ABS. The mechanical part is to cut the lotus column into 2 pieces and the toyota in 2 pieces and weld them together both on the inner shaft and the outer. You need a Borgussen coupler for the rear. This way you don't have to remove anything from the cat to install the new steering, and you keep your turn signal and wiper switches and your own steering wheel. I' including sone photos, one of them shows the steering installed, notice the steering motor under the dash. Forgot to mention the hood release works perfectly and does'n need alteration. The last picture shows the location that I chose for the fuse and the relay.

DSCN5050.JPG

DSCN5051.JPG

DSCN5052.JPG

DSCN5057.JPG

DSCN5053.JPG

• Like 1